• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Secure Garmin XT2 mounting on '21+ R1250RT

mneblett

I recently posted this thread on my approach to mounting a Garmin XT2 to a 2023 R1250RS: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/threads/garmin-xt2-in-a-bmw-gps-mount.105095/

The primary reason I went with this somewhat more complicated approach to securing the GPS is that I wanted to be able to use the bike key to secure the GPS, rather than needing a security device which requires a separate tool to release the GPS (which I can guarantee I'd misplace).

Fast forward a bit: I replaced the RS with a 2023 R1250RT, and needed a way to mount this locking GPS mount/XT2 arrangement. Like many others, I ultimately went with the FMS mount and RFI shield: https://fmsaccessories.com/bmw-navigator-mount-2021-tft https://fmsaccessories.com/bmw-navigator-gps-rfi-shield

Other folks have posted how to's on their GPS installations, and I'm not intending to duplicate their work here. That said, there are a couple details/differences in what I did which might be of use to others as they contemplate their options.

First, I can confirm what others have posted about being able to relocate the Sirius antenna without touching the windshield. A word of caution: when you are cutting the front edge of the new mounting hole, make the hole wider in very incremental steps until it is just barely wide enough. While the front end of the hole must be wide enough to receive the antenna's underside hook (of course), there is precious little room to the sides -- a hair too wide and gaps will appear at the sides of the antenna's nose.

Front view.jpeg

Because the XT2 is bigger than the BMW cradle (the XT2 being taller/wider than the XT and the Nav VI), I used Kristopher Ryan's spacer block and XT2 locking arm kit (kristopherryanrides@proton.me) to move the XT2 out to clear the sides of the BMW cradle, as detailed in the RS thread. In addition, FMS mount comes with spacers that further move the XT2 out to provide clearance for the BMW mount's lock cylinder. Because I wanted to minimize the amount of XT2 overhang over the TFT, I shortened the FMS spacers until the lock cylinder boss just kisses the FMS RFI shield face. A ride today confirmed that the RFI shield is still effective with the XT2 hanging out in front of the TFT.

Overhang.jpeg

Lock cylinder.jpeg

Because I didn't like the idea of just wrapping the GPS cradle's power cord around the side of the FMS mount, I drilled a hole through the FMS RFI shield and mount plate, routed the cord through a grommet and then down through FMS's supplied pass-through.* This provides an uncluttered view from the rider's seat:

Bare mount front.jpeg

Cable down.jpeg

Rider view.jpeg

*Visible cable clutter is why I did not use the Italian 3DAM XT2 adapter I purchased (soon to go onto the marketplace).

A note on the GPS mounting screws: They are longer than those either BMW or FMS provide, being M4 x 55mm (a length not carried in most local hardware stores; these were sourced from McMaster-Carr). I *might* have been able to get by with M4 x 50mm screws, but I'm not sure they would have fully engaged the plastic in the nylock nuts. I will likely pick up some M4 x 50 screws in the future to find out for sure, but the 55's are good enough for now. If the 50mm screws don't work, I'll just cut off the excess thread.

Hope this is helpful to someone!

Last edited:
Back