• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

DYNA BEADS for tire balancing

1 oz./front 2 ozs. rear

I have used them on my GS with TKC 80's (knobbies) and the beads were great once I figured out that one ounce is enough for the front tire. According to the instructions, BMW's need 2 ounces up front..... NOT correct!
In any case I will use them again, as tire life was greatly improved. Just my 0.02 cts. YMMV

Used them also with TKC 80s and now Metzeler ME880/88s... I'm pretty sure the standard amount is 1 ounce for the front and 2 ounces in the rear (at least for bikes).

I think those who say that they're snake oil or want to stay with dead weights on the rim are really missing out. Just the fact that they do prolong the life of your tire speaks volumes, IMO.

Used them also with TKC 80s and now Metzeler ME880/88s... I'm pretty sure the standard amount is 1 ounce for the front and 2 ounces in the rear (at least for bikes).

I think those who say that they're snake oil or want to stay with dead weights on the rim are really missing out. Just the fact that they do prolong the life of your tire speaks volumes, IMO.

I'll bet you have magnets on your gas line and a vortex generator in your air inlets, too.

Do you know what happens to the tire manufacturers' warranty when you put these beads inside?

From the company websites:

Bridgestone:
"Bridgestone does not recommend the use of liquid or dry balancers or sealants. Bridgestone will not warranty any tire which has been injected with these materials."

Metzeler:
"Caution: To avoid the danger of air leakage use only weights that are recommended from the motorcycle manufacturer like spoke nipple weights, lead wire or self-adhesive rim weights. METZELER does not recommend the use of liquid balancers or liquid balance/sealers. METZELER does not give warranty for tires into which these have been injected."

Michelin:
" What is not covered:... Tires which become unserviceable due to:... the addition of liquid, solid, or gaseous materials other than air, nitrogen, or carbon dioxide (for example, waterbase sealers or balancing substances)"

Dunlop:
"WHAT IS NOT COVERED:...
Tires injected with dry/liquid balancers or sealants, or in which anything other than air has been used as the support medium. "

Last edited:
What really bothers me here is that reputable Magazines, BMW ON being one, haven't done a good, scientific test of these. I learned about these in an ON article and was dissapointed in that their testing was, "seems ok to me". I submitted this as a "Mythbuster" request but I'm not holding my breath. It wouldn't be hard to test. I don't know why it hasn't been done and the fact that the manufacturer hasn't done it, as pointed out earlier, is bothersome.

I use them and like them.

I'm curious how the tire manufacturer would ever know that ceramic beads had been used to balance their tires if a warranty issue came up. Assuming of course you removed the tire yourself.

Which leads me to another question: how many people have actually ever used a warranty on a motorcycle tire?

I think we should stop all negative comment on this product.

Otherwise, natural selection isn't gonna work and these people are actually gonna reproduce...!

NOTE: Not wishing harm to anyone who uses these, but folks, you're kidding yourselves....

quote:
Which leads me to another question: how many people have actually ever used a warranty on a motorcycle tire?

Good one. In 43 years of riding these things, I have never used a tire warranty.

2ond quote:
Otherwise, natural selection isn't gonna work and these people are actually gonna reproduce...!

Too late, I have already reproduced.

I think we should stop all negative comment on this product.

NOTE: Not wishing harm to anyone who uses these, but folks, you're kidding yourselves....

And do you have professional knowledge on the subject you wanna share with the rest of us?

C'mon Einstein, we're all ears. Save us from ourselves.

Standard is 1 ounce up front except BMW see the chart...
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm#MotorcycleChart

I use them and like them.

I'm curious how the tire manufacturer would ever know that ceramic beads had been used to balance their tires if a warranty issue came up. Assuming of course you removed the tire yourself.

Because you would tell them.

Unless you are ethically challenged.

Thanks Jon-Lars for the honesty. Am amazed by the first response but it truly is a sign of the times. Actually, I am not in the least suprised for this attitude has been displayed many times on here by more than just that responder. What matters is making that all mighty dollar and then spending it upon conspicuous consumption. .........God Bless.......Dennis

Thanks Jon-Lars for the honesty. Am amazed by the first response but it truly is a sign of the times. Actually, I am not in the least suprised for this attitude has been displayed many times on here by more than just that responder. What matters is making that all mighty dollar and then spending it upon conspicuous consumption. .........God Bless.......Dennis

If you are questioning my integrity, you're sadly mistaken, but I deleted the post in question as it probably lead you to that conclusion. Sorry.

In all honestly, I wouldn't turn in a motorcycle tire for warranty, I'd simply order another one.

I'm still waiting to hear from keelerb though. Particularly, how are we kidding ourselves if they work for us?

If it works for you, great - use it. I have no "evidence" it doesn't. Nor do anecdotal accounts from a few folks convince me. I've certainly heard of doctors who cured patients' symptoms with sugar pills....the placebo effect.

The "science" behind it is more than a little suspect.

But to each his own. You may want to try Fitch Fuel Catalyst too....

As noted in an earlier post I have used the dynabeads and have a smooth riding tire. I understand that the tire may have been fine with no beads or balancing. I read about them somewhere along the way and spoke with someone that had used them. They were very happy with the results. I did not approach it scientifically.

It seems it would be relatively easy to test whether the beads work. Obviously they would not work with a static balancer. But if they should be able to produce results similar to lead weights on a dynamic balancer if they work according to the manufacturer's claims.

Even if it doesn't prove to be a good system I'm keeping the deer whistles I got as a bonus for ordering before midnight.:bolt

As noted in an earlier post I have used the dynabeads and have a smooth riding tire. I understand that the tire may have been fine with no beads or balancing. I read about them somewhere along the way and spoke with someone that had used them. They were very happy with the results. I did not approach it scientifically.

It seems it would be relatively easy to test whether the beads work. Obviously they would not work with a static balancer. But if they should be able to produce results similar to lead weights on a dynamic balancer if they work according to the manufacturer's claims.

Even if it doesn't prove to be a good system I'm keeping the deer whistles I got as a bonus for ordering before midnight.:bolt

This is the bulk of my complaint. They specifically say they won't work on a dynamic (machine) balancer. After watching videos and reading descriptions and seeing diagrams, it still makes no sense to me that they could balance tires mounted to the bike but not work mounted to a dynamic balancer. They have done probably the most important thing they can from a marketing standpoint by removing any way of refuting their claims. Bravo.

To each his own. Ride safe!

Here I go

I have a R75/6 and have had maybe 8 sets of tires over the 25 years I have owned the bike. Up until 5 years ago never balanced a tire. Now in the last two sets I have had one balanced and one set not. I ride mostly 50-60 mph but will run up to the end of the speedo on occasion. Never noticed a difference or problem. What gives, just luck or am I that insensitive??:ear

Has anyone verified an out of balance tire that the beads have fixed? Only thing I can think of is the loose mass in the tire dampens out any vibration I can not see how it can balance an object that is statically out of balance.

Do you know what happens to the tire manufacturers' warranty when you put these beads inside?

Prolly the same as when I don't use Castrol as noted in my OM.

Most of that junk they state is flat sealant crap.
The only warranties I ever needed for tires were for road hazard and beads have nothing to do w/ that.

Prolly the same as when I don't use Castrol as noted in my OM.

Most of that junk they state is flat sealant crap.
The only warranties I ever needed for tires were for road hazard and beads have nothing to do w/ that.

Read the post again. Those are quotes from the company warranties. No probables about it.

The point is, they do not condone or approve the use of beads for balancing; they do the opposite.

I find this to be a very loud condemnation, from the people who know most about the subject.

This is the bulk of my complaint. They specifically say they won't work on a dynamic (machine) balancer. After watching videos and reading descriptions and seeing diagrams, it still makes no sense to me that they could balance tires mounted to the bike but not work mounted to a dynamic balancer. They have done probably the most important thing they can from a marketing standpoint by removing any way of refuting their claims. Bravo.

To each his own. Ride safe!

They can't work if the axle is prevented from moving off center. Suspension allows that so they do work on the bike. I can't understand how anyone could be a disbeliever after watching the bottle/drill video on youtube. Very dramatic!

Read the post again. Those are quotes from the company warranties. No probables about it.

There are probables on everything.
Running beads won't affect a claim over hitting crap on the highway.
Period.

Reading below seems to "overlook" ceramic beads.
Beads are not liquid.

Thank you for playing.

Metzeler:
"Caution: To avoid the danger of air leakage use only weights that are recommended from the motorcycle manufacturer like spoke nipple weights, lead wire or self-adhesive rim weights. METZELER does not recommend the use of liquid balancers or liquid balance/sealers. METZELER does not give warranty for tires into which these have been injected."

They can't work if the axle is prevented from moving off center. Suspension allows that so they do work on the bike. I can't understand how anyone could be a disbeliever after watching the bottle/drill video on youtube. Very dramatic!

How does my axle move off-center? I have a wheel mounted between two forks with a metal axle running through the forks and the wheel. This is then clamped/bolted in place. The wheel can "bounce" up and down as it hits potholes due to the suspension, but that axle is always going through the center of the wheel (it moves with the tire and is always in the same relative location). If it didn't, there would be a major problem as you ride. Go out and grab your front wheel and try to move it around. If you can move the wheel up and down or side to side independent of the axle, I suggest you take the bike in for service because it isn't supposed to do that.

So all that being said, since my axle is always at the center of the tire, WHY would they not work on a dynamic balancer?

That bottle/drill test is invalid for the reasons I stated - that is with a flexible "axle", which motorcycles don't have. Have you ever seen your axle move like that?

Back