• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What am I hearing

bmwgsrider

I just started hearing something and not sure how long it has been happening or if it recently started.... hope one can tell me what it is.

When you turn the key on before starting the engine, you hear a tone coming from the faux tank/battery area under center panel. The tone sounds like one of the tones you hear when you have a hearing test done.

Can someone tell me where this is originating and why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Yup, just through fuel pump. All the F-series bikes do this when the ignition is turned on and the OBC goes through its self check.

I never really noticed it until about a month or two ago... I didn't know what it was and if it was normal.

Thanks.

It's tough to hear if you already have your helmet on before you turn on the ignition.

One way to check is to disconnect the pump and see if the noise goes away.
This thread in Hex/Cam I think you will find typical enough for you to identify parts on your bike. Another quick way on the pump is the sound changes when the tank is full or almost empty-enough for you to tell. Let us know how you make out. Gary

One way to check is to disconnect the pump and see if the noise goes away.
This thread in Hex/Cam I think you will find typical enough for you to identify parts on your bike. Another quick way on the pump is the sound changes when the tank is full or almost empty-enough for you to tell. Let us know how you make out. Gary

I had gotten fuel in the bike before you made this post. As of right now with basically a full tank of gas, I am not hearing the tone. I will see when I start hearing it again...

I did not know there were issues on the fuel pump connectors and did not know of a bypass cable... I am guessing the issue has not been resolved for the 2011 GS's?

Thanks for sharing the link and mentioning about the sound changes on full to empty... I will see what happens when I go from full to empty.

I had gotten fuel in the bike before you made this post. As of right now with basically a full tank of gas, I am not hearing the tone. I will see when I start hearing it again...

I did not know there were issues on the fuel pump connectors and did not know of a bypass cable... I am guessing the issue has not been resolved for the 2011 GS's?

Thanks for sharing the link and mentioning about the sound changes on full to empty... I will see what happens when I go from full to empty.
Great! hope it helps. From time to time I like to mention that running the vehicles with the newer fuel systems-pumps in the tank-and actually "cooled/lubricated" buy the fuel. Chrysler had a giant problem with premature fuel pump failure in mini-vans with pump in tank set-ups so common with today's sophisticated fuel injection systems. The common thread in all the failures was tanks being run to about empty before refilling.
Hope it works out. OM

So basically its better to fuel up before your fuel light comes on?
I take it you're in good shape on this Anna? I would go by the trip meter, I look for gas around 160 miles which is approx. 25 miles before the light comes on. It's the running of the internal fuel pump without the "cooling/lubricating" effect of the gas that causes the pumps to go/act weird. It is nice to let it run low every once and a while to test the low fuel warning light system-just not a constant run low. Gary

I take it you're in good shape on this Anna? I would go by the trip meter, I look for gas around 160 miles which is approx. 25 miles before the light comes on. It's the running of the internal fuel pump without the "cooling/lubricating" effect of the gas that causes the pumps to go/act weird. It is nice to let it run low every once and a while to test the low fuel warning light system-just not a constant run low. Gary

Sometimes I wait for the fuel light to come on and sometimes I don't... I know I am in good shape... Just glad I learned something else/new. Thanks.

Back