• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TFT Protective Cover--Yes or No?

That’s the beauty of it. I’ve been cleaning it off with my bare hands and whatever chemicals I have on me. It was pretty gritted up from abuse. I didn’t baby the screen protector. It’d get covered in crap, I’d spit clean it off or rub river water on it and my leather gloves. 4 years later, it was scratched to hell and then I replaced it for $18. The TFT would have been ruined forever. I guess that’s kind of my point. With the protector, you can really abuse the screen. I don’t detail my bikes.

I’m gonna try and dig up a picture. Never mind I didn’t take one (sorry)

So if anyone wants to preserve an $18 screen protector forever, yes I think if you use a proper cloth and glass cleaner, it’ll hold up well.

:thumb

I don’t know of anyone here who has had all 4 of them but I went with “ Tempered Glass Dashboard Screen Protector - Anti Glare” and after 4 years, it was pretty scratched up from me cleaning it with a towel so I bought a new one and replaced it. But the TFT underneath looked brand new.

Adam, does the “Ant-Glare” feature actually work or at least reduce glare?

My Helite reflective vest looks somewhat trashy as I have covered certain areas with black Duc tape to reduce the glare it causes on the Garmin. :laugh

I have found it to be better just using water and if some soap gets on it no biggie just rinse it off before the soap dries up. YMMV

Adam, does the “Ant-Glare” feature actually work or at least reduce glare?

My Helite reflective vest looks somewhat trashy as I have covered certain areas with black Duc tape to reduce the glare it causes on the Garmin. :laugh

It's a significant improvement. Oddly enough, I have a Zumo XT on my GS and my wife has a NAV VI both mounted above our TFTs which have anti-glare and the GPS units are sending sunlight directly into our eyes and the TFT is not. It's a huge improvement. You've reminded me I should hop on the Amazon and see if there's a NAV VI / Zumo XT screen protector that is anti-glare. I always forget about it until I'm on the bike and the sun is reflecting off those.

It's a significant improvement. Oddly enough, I have a Zumo XT on my GS and my wife has a NAV VI both mounted above our TFTs which have anti-glare and the GPS units are sending sunlight directly into our eyes and the TFT is not. It's a huge improvement. You've reminded me I should hop on the Amazon and see if there's a NAV VI / Zumo XT screen protector that is anti-glare. I always forget about it until I'm on the bike and the sun is reflecting off those.

Lexerd Screen/Glare Screens @ https://lexerd.com. Search for Garmin NAV VI and or ZUMO XT. They have protectors for many devices. No direct connection, but I have bought several screen protectors from them over the years.

Lexerd Screen/Glare Screens @ https://lexerd.com. Search for Garmin NAV VI and or ZUMO XT. They have protectors for many devices. No direct connection, but I have bought several screen protectors from them over the years.

And a great, easily searchable website. Looked up my Montana quickly. :thumb

OM

Yes - the TFT screen on my '21 GSA has stains, not certain if water or dust rubbed in while cleaning but it has streaks and stains that don't come off. I'm afraid to get too aggressive with cleaners. I wish I'd put a cover on mine when I bought the bike.

I'm going to try some Screen Mon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01054S5F...e&sr=1-1-9e67e56a-6f64-441f-a281-df67fc737124

On trips our TFTs really gets spotted from dew in the mornings. I usually don't get a streak free look when I try to dry it with a microfiber.
I had water spots on both of our TFT screens left from when I washed the bikes in the fall before winter storage.
The Screen Mon cleaner seemed to do a good job when I tried it this afternoon. I'll know better when I roll the bikes out in the sun.
I plan to carry a 3 ounce bottle of the stuff on trips. I'll get a chance to see how well it works on our April trip.

I'm going to try some Screen Mon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01054S5F...e&sr=1-1-9e67e56a-6f64-441f-a281-df67fc737124

On trips our TFTs really gets spotted from dew in the mornings. I usually don't get a streak free look when I try to dry it with a microfiber.
I had water spots on both of our TFT screens left from when I washed the bikes in the fall before winter storage.
The Screen Mon cleaner seemed to do a good job when I tried it this afternoon. I'll know better when I roll the bikes out in the sun.
I plan to carry a 3 ounce bottle of the stuff on trips. I'll get a chance to see how well it works on our April trip.

I've used the Screen Mon clearer several times the last 2 weeks on our trip and it works good.
Maybe any computer or TV screen cleaner will work ??

Is there screen protector available to protect the protection screen already on the TFT? Asking for a friend. 😀

It's cheap insurance for an expensive screen. I made this video about installing it.

Steve

Ha, Steve! I commented on your YouTube page earlier. After returning to this thread, I realized that this was where I first saw your video earlier this week. Your tape suggestion was just the ticket for me. As I mentioned in my YouTube comment, I have a familial tremor which makes it difficult for me to perform certain types of tasks. I've fouled up installation of cell phone screen protectors due to the tremor. Your tape idea made my Speedo Angels installation simple and I am most pleased with the way it turned out. So THANKS again!

Ha, Steve! I commented on your YouTube page earlier. After returning to this thread, I realized that this was where I first saw your video earlier this week. Your tape suggestion was just the ticket for me. As I mentioned in my YouTube comment, I have a familial tremor which makes it difficult for me to perform certain types of tasks. I've fouled up installation of cell phone screen protectors due to the tremor. Your tape idea made my Speedo Angels installation simple and I am most pleased with the way it turned out. So THANKS again!

It's easy to do, and cheap insurance, glad it worked out good for you.

Steve

Back