• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine head cover guards or Engine bars - 2022 R1250RS

arcticlife

A friend of mine dropped his 2016 RT setting up to fill up at a gas station due to uneven pavement - the right side cylinder got cosmetic damage but also suffered a crack in the casing, requiring a major repair and expense.

Since I just bought my first boxer, I would like some recommendations to wether get OEM (or other) engine bars or will OEM engine head protection covers provide sufficient protection in a similar tip over situation? not focusing on crash protection, more around accidental tip over. Putting engine bars also requires the removal of the OEM spoiler, which I like as well.

I really dislike that I'm posting a negative review or comment...but I DO NOT recommend the X-Head Covers from Machine Art Moto.

Mine were installed once, removed once and on the second install, I had a sheared bolt in the head that was supplied with the covers.

I was lucky and able to remove the broken off chunk from the head, and not have to use a Thread insert to repair the thread, but the worst part was the customer service from the company after that.

When I contacted the company and told them I had a broken bolt, they told me that they would be able to sell me a new bolt and pay for the shipping as well.

Bolt --about $15 and shipping about $13...this was not my idea of a company that stands behind their products. I removed them and now they sit on the shelf collecting dust.

The problem with these cylinder covers is that they have inferior hardware to attach them to the engine.

The large replacement bolts supplied are mild steel vs stainless steel and they are machine cut on a lathe/CNC. The threads in particular are either single point threaded or cut with a die and leave a weakened stress point at the junction of the thread and the shoulder that tightens up against the head.

The OEM BMW bolt for this application is stainless steel and the threads look like they are roll formed, so don't have the same weakness/stress point.

These large bolts are only coated with some kind of thin silver finish that corrodes after about 6 months as well.

You can't reuse the OEM valve cover bolts with the X-Head covers due to the extra thickness of the rubber cover under the bolt head, so you are forced to use the bolts supplied in the kit

The other screws supplied with the head covers are an inferior grade of stainless steel that show spots of rust after about 6 months. These bolts are standard M5 non-shoulder fasteners, so it's easy enough to replace them with OEM body panel screws, but you shouldn't have to do this.

Here is a picture of the screw supplied in the kit (bottom)...getting the sheared off threaded section out of the head was difficult without damaging the cylinder head threads.
The screw in the top of the picture is the OEM BMW version, you can see the smooth transitions in the profile that helps relieve stresses like most other critical hardware.

IMG_1133-M.jpg

Sorry if this sounds like a RANT, but, I'm used to better customer service...like the kind I get from Ilium Works and Werks Parts for example.

Over the years on several BMW bikes, I've used AltRider, Wunderlich, SW Motech, and Ilium. I have not seen/worked with Heed, but am interested to see their fit and finish.

On the whole, I prefer the Ilium bars both front and rear.

I always ride with my panniers on, so need to protect them, but if you wanted to remove the bags, the Ilium bars can be removed from their more permanent brackets for a more sleek look.
The panniers are probably more expensive to repair/replace than the engine valve covers, so I like to have both front and rear bars on the bike.

Ilium had a small issue with the LH rear attach bracket over a year ago and the company replaced that bracket for free to anyone that requested the retrofit part. Great service!

When I was rear-ended last Aug on my 2016RT, my bike was almost flipped over upside down and landed hard on both sides. Neither cylinder head was touched and both panniers were scratched on the tops of the covers, but nothing contacted the road along the axial line of the bars. The Ilium bars did their job very well!

IMG_6753-M.jpg

I'm glad my Helite Turtle 2 Air Vest did it's job also...I hit the rear top box so hard that it was sheared off the rack, but I didn't contact the case with any part of my body and walked away with out a bruise or scratch. I was also wearing a MotoPort Kevlar Mesh suit that protected my elbows, knees, shoulders, and hips.

Image%208-23-21%20at%204.30%20PM-M.jpg

I notice the mounting bolts/screws for SW Motech cylinder guards are underneath into the factory provided threaded holes in the cylinder, and believe the BMW aluminum guards are mounted in the same holes. Can anyone verify this? This eliminates the removal/reinstall of the large cover bolts. If using without engine guards and the cylinder hits the pavement I wonder if the crunch could cause the smaller bolts/screws to break off the metal of the cylinder, being worse than damaging the cover.

I really dislike that I'm posting a negative review or comment...but I DO NOT recommend the X-Head Covers from Machine Art Moto.

Mine were installed once, removed once and on the second install, I had a sheared bolt in the head that was supplied with the covers.

I was lucky and able to remove the broken off chunk from the head, and not have to use a Thread insert to repair the thread, but the worst part was the customer service from the company after that.

When I contacted the company and told them I had a broken bolt, they told me that they would be able to sell me a new bolt and pay for the shipping as well.

Bolt --about $15 and shipping about $13...this was not my idea of a company that stands behind their products. I removed them and now they sit on the shelf collecting dust.

The problem with these cylinder covers is that they have inferior hardware to attach them to the engine.

The large replacement bolts supplied are mild steel vs stainless steel and they are machine cut on a lathe/CNC. The threads in particular are either single point threaded or cut with a die and leave a weakened stress point at the junction of the thread and the shoulder that tightens up against the head.

The OEM BMW bolt for this application is stainless steel and the threads look like they are roll formed, so don't have the same weakness/stress point.

These large bolts are only coated with some kind of thin silver finish that corrodes after about 6 months as well.

You can't reuse the OEM valve cover bolts with the X-Head covers due to the extra thickness of the rubber cover under the bolt head, so you are forced to use the bolts supplied in the kit

The other screws supplied with the head covers are an inferior grade of stainless steel that show spots of rust after about 6 months. These bolts are standard M5 non-shoulder fasteners, so it's easy enough to replace them with OEM body panel screws, but you shouldn't have to do this.

Here is a picture of the screw supplied in the kit (bottom)...getting the sheared off threaded section out of the head was difficult without damaging the cylinder head threads.
The screw in the top of the picture is the OEM BMW version, you can see the smooth transitions in the profile that helps relieve stresses like most other critical hardware.

IMG_1133-M.jpg

Sorry if this sounds like a RANT, but, I'm used to better customer service...like the kind I get from Ilium Works and Werks Parts for example.

MAM is replacing the bolts that were inferior with a new design - I haven't seen one but I've heard they are better.

I had MAM on my '14 GSA, I bought some "Savage" brand covers for my '21 1250. They come with a slightly different screw arrangement.

I've tipped it over several times, low speed, off-road, and have suffered no damage.

The Savage covers work just fine with my OEM GSA crash bars.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/225...st.0.0.5bb81802nBV9k2&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

MAM is replacing the bolts that were inferior with a new design - I haven't seen one but I've heard they are better.

At least the OP doesn't have to worry about the big bolt because the 1250 cover is different.

<iframe width="1184" height="666" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I1w5hz9eR9w" title="X Head 1250 Installation" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

not focusing on crash protection, more around accidental tip over. Putting engine bars also requires the removal of the OEM spoiler, which I like as well.

You probably already made the purchase but I'll still give another vote for head covers. For me crash bars look a little odd on a RS.
We have the Machineartmoto covers.

20220420_114925.jpg

On my 14R1200RT I had the Wunderlich bars front and rear, they seem to be fine but in comparison to others I don't feel they are as sturdy. I got them when they first come out, Wunderlich was the first to make bars for the new Wethead. They may of changed the design since then... On my 22R1250RT I installed the Machineart Moto, no comment on them other then I've received good reports from a couple of riding buddies. Not sure if I'll put protection on the rear but it would be good in a parking lot tip over.

I don't think anyone makes rear bars for the OP's bike.

Last edited:
Aircraft horizontal opposed engines rely on the cowling for cylinder cooling, and I question the use of these covers because of the heat factor but then the AC don't have a radiator. I guess time will tell, a trade -off as to the chance of a parking lot tip over versus longevity. Wonder what Hans and Franz think of this ?

I had MAM on my '14 GSA, I bought some "Savage" brand covers for my '21 1250. They come with a slightly different screw arrangement.

I've tipped it over several times, low speed, off-road, and have suffered no damage.

The Savage covers work just fine with my OEM GSA crash bars.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/225...st.0.0.5bb81802nBV9k2&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

Be REALLY careful about the torque settings on these bolts. I easily broke one off in my 2016 and the tech was surprised that he was able to get it out of the cylinder head.

I have a set of x-heads for the 2016 if anyone want to make an offer. I ended up going with the Z-Technik crash bars - Very happy with them indeed. You see tham in this picture.
2017-03-15 17.07.07.jpg

Ski

I'm not sure why you'd expect MAMo to replace the bolt for free - they have no idea what you did with it. Even the OEM bolts there are easy to break or strip because of their low torque threshold.

I've had my MAMo covers off a half-dozen times (2015 GS) and experienced no problems like you describe - no broken bolts, no cracking or peeling, no rust. I'd recommend these to anybody looking for a protection solution that doesn't involve crash bars.

I'm not sure why you'd expect MAMo to replace the bolt for free - they have no idea what you did with it. Even the OEM bolts there are easy to break or strip because of their low torque threshold.

I've had my MAMo covers off a half-dozen times (2015 GS) and experienced no problems like you describe - no broken bolts, no cracking or peeling, no rust. I'd recommend these to anybody looking for a protection solution that doesn't involve crash bars.

Deleted

I don't think Boxflyer ever suggested he expected a "free" replacement but regardless offering a replacement bolt for a cost of $28 seems a bit excessive ... but hey maybe it's just me. In addition the cost of sending out a free replacement bolt and the customer service value they'd get seems to me worth the cost of the bolt.

I don't think Boxflyer ever suggested he expected a "free" replacement but regardless offering a replacement bolt for a cost of $28 seems a bit excessive ... but hey maybe it's just me. In addition the cost of sending out a free replacement bolt and the customer service value they'd get seems to me worth the cost of the bolt.

I get that, but every business is different. We have no idea what MAMo's margins are - and frankly, shipping costs are killing a lot of small companies right now thanks to high gas prices and surcharges put in place by the shipping companies. Plus the guy might not stock a bunch of spare parts, which means digging into a kit - and that takes product off the shelf for an unknown period of time.

I get that, but every business is different. We have no idea what MAMo's margins are - and frankly, shipping costs are killing a lot of small companies right now thanks to high gas prices and surcharges put in place by the shipping companies. Plus the guy might not stock a bunch of spare parts, which means digging into a kit - and that takes product off the shelf for an unknown period of time.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Customer service is important in todays competitive markets and even more so for small companies like MAM. I don't care what their margins are I know for a fact you can ship a bolt for less than $13 (I've recently done it) Especially today when the Chinese already have knockoff of MAM parts for 1/3 or less the MAM cost. So when you have a customer using YOUR US made part that customer support is critical. But hey that's just my opinion.

Back