• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Engine head cover guards or Engine bars - 2022 R1250RS

Nothing is perfect, and that applies to the MAM X-Heads. I'm happy with mine and I have no plans on removing them at this time. But, I'm glad Boxflyer posted his experience. I now know to be very careful about those bolts. That being said, I'm not hearing a lot of complaints on forums about broken bolts--granted I'm not looking for it either, but Boxflyer's is the first one I heard about. My approach to the bolts is the same that is typically recommended for the center acorn nut on an Airhead valve cover (it's common for the center bolt to be pulled out of the head if that bolt is over tightened). Just lightly snug them down. I did that and do not appear to have any leaks. Of course, I've also kept everything I took off just in case I decide later to remove them.

On a side note, at least MAM has bolts to sell. I was given some SW-Motech bar risers for my GS. However, most of the bolts are missing. I thought it would be less troublesome to find bolts, so I contacted SW-Motech about purchasing replacement bolts, since they still sell that part. They told me they don't stock replacement bolts. They only have the kits. They suggested I look online as that's what they would do. Keep in mind this is the manufacturer of the product not a reseller. While the replacement bolt from MAM is expensive, at least it's available.

Nothing is perfect, and that applies to the MAM X-Heads. I'm happy with mine and I have no plans on removing them at this time. But, I'm glad Boxflyer posted his experience. I now know to be very careful about those bolts. That being said, I'm not hearing a lot of complaints on forums about broken bolts--granted I'm not looking for it either, but Boxflyer's is the first one I heard about. My approach to the bolts is the same that is typically recommended for the center acorn nut on an Airhead valve cover (it's common for the center bolt to be pulled out of the head if that bolt is over tightened). Just lightly snug them down. I did that and do not appear to have any leaks. Of course, I've also kept everything I took off just in case I decide later to remove them.

On a side note, at least MAM has bolts to sell. I was given some SW-Motech bar risers for my GS. However, most of the bolts are missing. I thought it would be less troublesome to find bolts, so I contacted SW-Motech about purchasing replacement bolts, since they still sell that part. They told me they don't stock replacement bolts. They only have the kits. They suggested I look online as that's what they would do. Keep in mind this is the manufacturer of the product not a reseller. While the replacement bolt from MAM is expensive, at least it's available.

I still have mine on my RT and they seem fine but I suspect I may have gotten the improved bolts. The fact that MAM changed the bolt specs says a lot. And I know boxflyer personally and I know he torques everything!

On a side note ... if you still need bolts for your risers shoot me a PM as I have a super hardware store here in Charlotte that stocks a ton of metric stuff and a lot of stainless. Happy to assist if I can. And I promise not to charge you $13 to ship !! Heck I'll cover shipping :)

. I now know to be very careful about those bolts. That being said, I'm not hearing a lot of complaints on forums about broken bolts--granted I'm not looking for it either, but Boxflyer's is the first one I heard about.

In the early years of the R1200 Wethead covers I saw a couple posts about broken bolts.
From what I remember Machineartmoto went with a different bolt fairly quickly.
Besides being stronger the new bolt in the kit is stainless steel.

Your bike lift

I've never seen an RT hoisted up on a lift like that!!! What brand is it? Does it work well or better than the flat work station type lifts?

I've never seen an RT hoisted up on a lift like that!!! What brand is it? Does it work well or better than the flat work station type lifts?

Yep, ABBA Skylift stand. Made in England and works great for any bike they make the adapters to fit. Basically connects to the bike at the swing arm joint and allows you to lift it up in wheelie, horizontal, or stoppie position. Very useful and takes up very little garage spce when your done. I think it's rated for close to 1,000 lb - works great!!

I've never worked on a flat workstation but I certainly don't have room for one in my garage.

Ski

Yep, ABBA Skylift stand. Made in England and works great for any bike they make the adapters to fit. Basically connects to the bike at the swing arm joint and allows you to lift it up in wheelie, horizontal, or stoppie position. Very useful and takes up very little garage spce when your done. I think it's rated for close to 1,000 lb - works great!!

I've never worked on a flat workstation but I certainly don't have room for one in my garage.

Ski

I checked their site and it seems that if you have an older/classic bike, you're SOL. For BMWs only late model bikes have fit kits. That would have been a good option for me except my 88 R100 RT would not fit on it.

Heed

Over the years on several BMW bikes, I've used AltRider, Wunderlich, SW Motech, and Ilium. I have not seen/worked with Heed, but am interested to see their fit and finish.

On the whole, I prefer the Ilium bars both front and rear.

I always ride with my panniers on, so need to protect them, but if you wanted to remove the bags, the Ilium bars can be removed from their more permanent brackets for a more sleek look.
The panniers are probably more expensive to repair/replace than the engine valve covers, so I like to have both front and rear bars on the bike.

Ilium had a small issue with the LH rear attach bracket over a year ago and the company replaced that bracket for free to anyone that requested the retrofit part. Great service!

When I was rear-ended last Aug on my 2016RT, my bike was almost flipped over upside down and landed hard on both sides. Neither cylinder head was touched and both panniers were scratched on the tops of the covers, but nothing contacted the road along the axial line of the bars. The Ilium bars did their job very well!

IMG_6753-M.jpg

I'm glad my Helite Turtle 2 Air Vest did it's job also...I hit the rear top box so hard that it was sheared off the rack, but I didn't contact the case with any part of my body and walked away with out a bruise or scratch. I was also wearing a MotoPort Kevlar Mesh suit that protected my elbows, knees, shoulders, and hips.

Image%208-23-21%20at%204.30%20PM-M.jpg

I just installed Heed crash bars on my R850R. Perfect fit and looks to be good quality.

Back