• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TFT Protective Cover--Yes or No?

A question about the TFT protective cover. On the recommendation of my salesman I bought one but didn't like the way it looked. I was just on the BMW website and they described the covers by saying that they "prevented water stains." What does that mean? Has anyone actually had damage or degradation to their TFT by not using one? If so, I could stick it back on. Thanks.

Has anyone actually had damage or degradation to their TFT by not using one?

Yes - the TFT screen on my '21 GSA has stains, not certain if water or dust rubbed in while cleaning but it has streaks and stains that don't come off. I'm afraid to get too aggressive with cleaners. I wish I'd put a cover on mine when I bought the bike.

Yes - the TFT screen on my '21 GSA has stains, not certain if water or dust rubbed in while cleaning but it has streaks and stains that don't come off. I'm afraid to get too aggressive with cleaners. I wish I'd put a cover on mine when I bought the bike.

Thanks--good to know. I'll reinstall one.

I bought mine (from Speedo Angels) to eliminate glare from the sun. The TFT can be a little too reflective. It helps. It adds haze and that’s great. As for protecting the screen, it’s pretty well protected by design so I don’t think adding one will do much. If these were touch screens, I might feel differently.

I recently purchased a 2020 GSA and it didn't come with a protector and the screen had marks. They,re minor, so I installed a Speedo Angel cover to prevent it from getting worse over time. It's really nice product and I'm completely satisfied with it so far.

I don't use a screen on my 21 GSA. It has no marks. It will get water stains over time that come off with isopropyl alcohol. I use the alcohol a couple times a year.

I bought mine (from Speedo Angels) to eliminate glare from the sun. The TFT can be a little too reflective. It helps.

These folks make an excellent product. Highly recommended.

As for water stains, I'll guess it might have something to do how "hard" the water is in your area. MB289 seems to have a solution for this.

These folks make an excellent product. Highly recommended.

As for water stains, I'll guess it might have something to do how "hard" the water is in your area. MB289 seems to have a solution for this.

I'm thinking that when I wash the bike, I'll just throw a cloth over the TFT. My dealer actually made a comment about me not washing my bike and I said, "That's true--time I spend washing it is time I'm not riding it."

Dagnabit now I'm confused! I certainly prefer the look without. How long have you used yours?

I'm one year in with plenty of miles in all types of weather. I have washed the bike a few times and have seen the water spots some speak of.

I just use the same spray and microfiber I use on my faceshield and move along.

Some want protection.....My thinking is that if something big enough comes in contact with my screen to do any damage I have bigger things to worry about.

Ride On

+2 on the Speedo Angels screen for the TFT. It is too pricey not to take care of it.
FYI you can only use water to clean the thing, no soap or cleaners of any kind...YMMV

The Speedo Angles screen protectors came the other day. I plan to install to protect the screen, when parking outside a stop I usually stow my helmet and gloves in that area then cover it all up with my jacket hanging from the windscreen. The helmet will touch the TFT.

Speedo Angels has four different protectors. The four different ones are

Dashboard Screen Protector
Nano Glass Dashboard Screen Protector
Tempered Glass Dashboard Screen Protector - Anti Glare
Tempered Glass Dashboard Screen Protector - Ultra Clear

https://speedo-angels.com/product-category/speedo-angels-screen-protectors/bmw/r-1200-gs/

So, which one do people prefer?

I don’t know of anyone here who has had all 4 of them but I went with “ Tempered Glass Dashboard Screen Protector - Anti Glare” and after 4 years, it was pretty scratched up from me cleaning it with a towel so I bought a new one and replaced it. But the TFT underneath looked brand new.

“ Tempered Glass Dashboard Screen Protector - Anti Glare” and after 4 years, it was pretty scratched up from me cleaning it with a towel so I bought a new one.

I'm surprised glass would get scratched enough in 4 years to need replacement.

I'm surprised glass would get scratched enough in 4 years to need replacement.

That’s the beauty of it. I’ve been cleaning it off with my bare hands and whatever chemicals I have on me. It was pretty gritted up from abuse. I didn’t baby the screen protector. It’d get covered in crap, I’d spit clean it off or rub river water on it and my leather gloves. 4 years later, it was scratched to hell and then I replaced it for $18. The TFT would have been ruined forever. I guess that’s kind of my point. With the protector, you can really abuse the screen. I don’t detail my bikes.

I’m gonna try and dig up a picture. Never mind I didn’t take one (sorry)

So if anyone wants to preserve an $18 screen protector forever, yes I think if you use a proper cloth and glass cleaner, it’ll hold up well.

Back