• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So much for the 'Klim Gear Protection Guarantee'

No. Me thinks that a company should not ADVERTISE that they WILL replace an item, then go to unrealistic efforts to not.

Don’t make that kind of guarantee. Or say that you MIGHT replace the gear in certain cases AT THEIR DISCRETION.

:dance:dance:dance

Their advertising guarantee they'll replace gear comes with a set of dis-qualifiers as well as what's necessary to file for replacement. It's pretty plain language, something anyone past 8th grade should be able to comprehend. Most people don't read the fine print unfortunately.

Their advertising guarantee they'll replace gear comes with a set of dis-qualifiers as well as what's necessary to file for replacement. It's pretty plain language, something anyone past 8th grade should be able to comprehend. Most people don't read the fine print unfortunately.

So, do you read the fine print as not being able to collect for an off road get off where you probably can’t get a police report?

So, do you read the fine print as not being able to collect for an off road get off where you probably can’t get a police report?

Yes, that would be the case based on their requirements. Which seems outrageous where they advertise their gear for off road use.

So that would be actively misleading their potential customers.

My point exactly.

So that would be actively misleading their potential customers.

My point exactly.

I don't think it can be considered misleading when their warranty page clearly spells it out for anyone that cares to actually think about what they're reading. They likely don't advertise their warranty claim process and people like the OP just assume the warranty covers all repairs under any circumstances.

Lessons learned, read the fine print. Determine what's not said with what they are saying.

horse-dead.gif

om

Gary,

If you do not want to read this, you may stop at any time. If it has, in your mind, run it’s course, there are many other threads to choose from.

Had you ever thought, by the letter of Klim’s guarantee, they don’t have to pay offroad claims???
No, really, had you?

Gary,

If you do not want to read this, you may stop at any time. If it has, in your mind, run it’s course, there are many other threads to choose from.

Had you ever thought, by the letter of Klim’s guarantee, they don’t have to pay offroad claims?

I just wonder why you are railing on Klim? Have you personally had a problem with Klim?

Their policy is clear and is explicit. I doubt the policy was written for anyone in particular and was written for general usage. If a get-off was so severe that it damaged the clothing requiring warranty consideration, chances are there would be a police report along with a paramedic report.
If someone is thinking that a branch tear that occurred in a tip-over is a warranty claim- I doubt it…but they can try.
If someone is riding off road, truly off road, they understand the risks.

OM

If someone is riding off road, truly off road, they understand the risks. OM

That’s the point. DO THEY truly understand that they might not be covered?

The point of this entire thread is to make them more aware of the possibility they might not be able to collect on something that they may have believed was covered. The OP and the guy with the leaky pants spent the money and thought there would be no problems.

So you are agreeing that offroad offs might not be covered based on the fine print? Remember, that is their main clientele (at least around here).

People SHOULD read all the fine print on EVERYTHING, but they don’t. They assume a reputable company is not going to try to weasel out of Guarantees. I’m just trying to get people thinking maybe they should really check what is really covered (read the fine print or call and ask Klim).

Never had a problem with Klim, never owned any. Happy with what I have. Just concerned for our fellow members.

That’s the point. DO THEY truly understand that they might not be covered?

The point of this entire thread is to make them more aware of the possibility they might not be able to collect on something that they may have believed was covered. The OP and the guy with the leaky pants spent the money and thought there would be no problems.

So you are agreeing that offroad offs might not be covered based on the fine print? Remember, that is their main clientele (at least around here).

People SHOULD read all the fine print on EVERYTHING, but they don’t. They assume a reputable company is not going to try to weasel out of Guarantees. I’m just trying to get people thinking maybe they should really check what is really covered (read the fine print or call and ask Klim).

Never had a problem with Klim, never owned any. Happy with what I have. Just concerned for our fellow members.

Then here is the next step-

CONTACT US
Thank You For Contacting KLIM

KLIM USA MAILING:
3753 East County Line Rd., Rigby Idaho 83442
KLIM HQ USA # 208-552-7433
Fax # (208) 552 - 1615

Customer Service Hours of Operation
7:00 AM - 5:00 PM MST

KLIM CANADA # (587) 330 - 0910
Fax # (403) 759 - 5030

KLIM Europe #
0043 720 78 99 82

Ring 'em up and get to the bottom of this.
This Link will get you to their e-mail so you can send them a link to this thread https://www.klim.com/contact-us. Probably should let them know who you are in this thread.

OM

Me thinks a lot of you folks think you should be handed free things after you ruin them, it's rampant in our society lately.
Trip on the curb and fall ripping a hole in your jeans and see if Levi's will send you a free pair.
Crash your car into a pole and ask Nissan to send you a free car.

I will tell you that if you own a piece of Klim gear and the zipper fails or the seam tears or any other failure of the manufacturing qualities of the product, they will absolutely repair or replace that item.
Why is this a 7 page issue?

Ah yes, the old reductio ad absurdum logical fallacy.

Nice try, but Levis doesn't have nor do they advertise a "no rip" guarantee, and no car company has a crash replacement guarantee. That's what insurance is for.

Just wait till the insurance company's and OEM starts checking your ECM to see if you broke the speed limit and tell you not covered, and you warrantee is void.

Got to love all this Klim bashing over a policy clearly stated in their warranty. He broke the law. The police listed it on the report. Klim denied. Hell if insurance wants to get picky they can deny his claim as well.

With all due respect, next time you get a speeding ticket for 1mph over, you won't be complaining, right?

This has been an interesting thread and may prove to be valuable to those considering which gear to buy and what to spend extra for.

You MUST send in a police report. IF you are lucky enough to have your accident near a city or town where they actually will respond to a non-injury accident. IF they don’t have higher priority police business. IF the police respond, you had better hope that the accident is a case of another vehicle hitting YOU and they are found at fault. IF there is not another vehicle at fault, you could be considered at fault for “failure to maintain control” regardless of your speed or other circumstances.

If you have an off while off road in your Klim adventure gear, you stand little chance of collecting on the Guarantee. First, getting a police officer to respond to an offroad situation is very unlikely. But even more important, virtually every offroad accident is by definition “failure to maintain control”.

If you get hit by another car in a city and get a report stating the other driver was at fault, you are probably going to collect for the damages to your bike AND the damages to your gear from the other drivers insurance. So even in that limited situation, KLIM still doesn’t pay.

I just called Klim. They confirmed that each of these assumptions is correct.

So buy for the GEAR, NOT the Guarantee!

I've never understood the Klim Kool-aid from the get-go. I've tried on their gear again and again. Tried my best to like it, really have! But every time it fits like crap. Every jacket hangs on me like a potato sack (and feels like one, too) Sleeves too long, neck openings too large. I'd have to have arms like an Orangutang and a neck like a line-backer for their jackets to fit me. I guess everyone that Klim fits must shop and the big-and-tall stores. I have one pair of their gloves that fit, but they certainly haven't held up well enough to justify their price. I no longer bother wasting any effort trying on their over-priced Chinese-made stuff anymore. After reading all this, I see I've made the right choice.

I've never understood the Klim Kool-aid from the get-go. I've tried on their gear again and again. Tried my best to like it, really have! But every time it fits like crap. Every jacket hangs on me like a potato sack (and feels like one, too) Sleeves too long, neck openings too large. I'd have to have arms like an Orangutang and a neck like a line-backer for their jackets to fit me. I guess everyone that Klim fits must shop and the big-and-tall stores. I have one pair of their gloves that fit, but they certainly haven't held up well enough to justify their price. I no longer bother wasting any effort trying on their over-priced Chinese-made stuff anymore. After reading all this, I see I've made the right choice.

Their Adventure gear doesn't fit us very well. It's too boxy.
The Street gear like Latitude and Altitude is a slimmer fit and works for us.
We deal with the high price by purchasing the non current gear at clearance prices.

I have to ask, did you purchase the Klim products knowing that they didn’t fit you?

Last time I saw the really nice BMW riding suit-

496c5f2178f19f54fc09e9c9437f90c0.jpg

I noticed it was made in China. As good as anything I have ever seen.

I always remember- “ Caveat emptor ”. and always buy in person for correct sizing :deal

OM

Despite binning their "waterproof" gear, I quite like their Baja S4 suit I also got. It's mesh, so I know it's going to more than leak if I get caught in the rain. Despite only being about 5'5" it fits me well enough. I may be of stouter frame, but I like to think I'm not fat; just short for my weight. :) The Kool-Aid for me was that as retired military I got 30% off everything I bought from them.

Back