• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

So much for the 'Klim Gear Protection Guarantee'

Direct from Klim only?
Where is that policy stated?

Looks like they don't offer any discounts for anyone [ in any profession ], but have sales discounts from time to time

An American company that doesn't offer American military discounts? Bad ju ju to them for that decision. :banghead

In September of 2022, my son low sided on pavement while wearing his Klim jacket. No police report was made. his jacket had several abraded areas arm, side and back. My son wrote an email to Klim's warranty about the warranty, stating what had happened and asking for them to replace or repair the jacket. They said that they could not replace the jacket because it did not meet the criteria for the warranty due to no police report being made and that they did not do repairs. What they did do was send my son a coupon for 50% off of a new Klim jacket. We were both delighted with the graciousness of Klim's solution. I couldn't be happier with their customer service.

Jay

I'll just say no way will I pay this kind of coin for items made in Vietnam . Sticking to my telephone book n duct tape :stick

Is it even possible to have a single vehicle accident and not be "at fault" in some way? Kind of seems like if you're down and nobody else was involved and you call the cops; the report has to be blame you, you were the only person there. The bike didn't throw itself on the ground, you did. Things like a road hazard are not "at fault", you are for not seeing/responding to them appropriately. Knew a guy in high school who slid off the road (in a car) because the entire thing was just covered in black ice and wound up with a ticket when he called for help. Failure to maintain control or something like that. Yeah, that cop was being a complete tool, but, still, if you call the police and demand they write up a single vehicle accident (so you have something for the warranty) what could they write that would wind up with the warranty being valid? Failure to maintain control is just as "illegal" as speeding (both are kind of in a gray area, speeding is usually a violation rather than a "crime").

I'm just struggling to think of what the situation would be and what a cop could write that would allow you to collect on the warranty. If another car or bike caused you to wreck (or rear ended you, the classic automatic at fault), that wouldn't be a claim to Klim, that would be a claim to the other parties insurance company.

My motorcycle policy (Progressive) includes coverage for riding gear, so I don't really care if Klim would/wouldn't cover it, if I had a serious accident, I'd get a new suit (and bike) by virtue of insurance.

I think this is one of those policies that sounds good on paper, but when you start to think through the situation where you'd use it, realize it's the corner of of corner case. Not at fault, police report stating such, bike not damaged enough to use insurance, no other vehicle causing the accident.. Anyone have an example where this warranty would actually apply; I'm struggling.

On June 4, 2022 while out for a shakedown ride on my 1953 Vincent - fresh from a 5 month restoration, I crossed over a set of railroad tracks that crossed the road at an angle. A tank slapper ensued and I was thrown onto the road.
6 broken ribs, a broken and fractured shoulder blade and a punctured lung.
9 days in the hospital, 2 months in bed, ongoing physio and a surgeons appointment in February 2024 to investigate a broken clavicle.
I filed a claim with Klim, with supporting documentation showing that the cause of the accident was broken pavement alongside the railroad track and that I was estimated to be riding at 101km/hr..the speed limit being 100.
Klim sent me a new Latitude jacket.
I upgraded the armour to level 2 and I bought a HeLite vest. I then repaired the extremely minor damage to the Vincent and sold it.
The Klim gear prevented any road rash which is, I think..pretty good.

I filed a claim with Klim, with supporting documentation showing that the cause of the accident was broken pavement alongside the railroad track and that I was estimated to be riding at 101km/hr..the speed limit being 100.
Klim sent me a new Latitude jacket.

That's great, but, given the position that was described in this thread, sounds like Klim broke their policy for you/made an exception. In this case you were both speeding and failing to ride with due caution. As I said earlier, it's really hard to go down in a single vehicle accident and not be "at fault". Somebody has to be "at fault" in our legal system, and we have catch all citations for situations where it's not really clear, but we need to assign blame anyway (careless driving, for example).

I'm glad they seem to make case by case exceptions, but, as it was described in this thread, I'm not sure what value the warranty has as a legal document, if you have to prove:

1) You, the rider, did nothing wrong
2) The jacket was damaged
3) Nobody else was at fault (in that case, insurance for the other person would pay, so Klim is off the hook)
4) Police were called and a report filed that showed you did nothing wrong

I just don't see that sequence of events coming together very often. I'm honestly not sure how they would ever come together, if you call the cops and demand a police report in a single vehicle accident, what could he write that would be accepted by Klim? Rider was hit by lightning while riding the speed limit? ;)

That's great, but, given the position that was described in this thread, sounds like Klim broke their policy for you/made an exception. In this case you were both speeding and failing to ride with due caution. As I said earlier, it's really hard to go down in a single vehicle accident and not be "at fault". Somebody has to be "at fault" in our legal system, and we have catch all citations for situations where it's not really clear, but we need to assign blame anyway (careless driving, for example).

I'm glad they seem to make case by case exceptions, but, as it was described in this thread, I'm not sure what value the warranty has as a legal document, if you have to prove:

1) You, the rider, did nothing wrong
2) The jacket was damaged
3) Nobody else was at fault (in that case, insurance for the other person would pay, so Klim is off the hook)
4) Police were called and a report filed that showed you did nothing wrong

I just don't see that sequence of events coming together very often. I'm honestly not sure how they would ever come together, if you call the cops and demand a police report in a single vehicle accident, what could he write that would be accepted by Klim? Rider was hit by lightning while riding the speed limit? ;)

Do you own any Klim products?

OM

Do you own any Klim products?

OM

Yes, and I really like them (Marrakesh and Induction suits). I didn't even realize (nor would I have cared) that Klim offers replacement for gear damaged in a crash. However, if you're going to claim that you offer that, seems a little bit underhanded to put criteria around it that make it basically either impossible or entirely at their discretion to grant or not.

Last edited:
As someone who previously slammed Klim for not keeping their end of the "guaranteed to keep you dry" bargain - at least in my view (yanno, the customer) - I would like to speak up when they do honor a guarantee/warranty. In late 2021 I bought a pair of their Hardinger battery powered heated gloves. By this fall the Velcro on them had given up the ghost. It just would not stay fastened. After buying a pair of plug in heated gloves (Warm and Safe), I thought about binning the Klim gloves based on my previous dealings with their customer disservice, but thought I'd give them another chance.

My gloves arrived at their facility 21 Dec, and just a couple days ago I received notice that they had repaired the Velcro and shipped them back. FedEx shows a delivery date of Monday, 15 Jan. We will see what kind of job they did. Hopefully, they are good as new, because I'll probably end up going back to them. This time of year the extent of my riding is commuting to/from work on the free express lanes. It's only a 30 minute ride, so battery gloves are sufficient. I just need to decide which gloves provides the more convenient overall experience.

That's great, but, given the position that was described in this thread, sounds like Klim broke their policy for you/made an exception.

Well he was riding a '53 Vincent. Maybe if you are riding a cool enough bike they cut you a little slack.

For those of you on the edge of your seat, I received my gloves yesterday. The Velcro was replaced and now works as it should. The whole process took a little longer than it probably should have, but it did also span the holidays, so no real worries about that.

Now, I just have the quandary of wearing the battery powered gloves or the plug-ins for my commute. The battery ones are more convenient to don and doff, but I do have to remember to charge the batteries and they only provide 3 levels of warmth. The plug-ins are a bit of a pain donning and doffing, but always work and I have more or less infinite heat levels from off to hands in magma.

The Klim gloves are textile, so they are a little more flexible and provide a little better feel, so that might tip the scales towards them.

First world issues...

As the original poster on this I thought I would just provide closure on my issue:

-I hired a lawyer to deal with the ticket and it was dismissed. Having a clean driving record sure helped.

-At the end of the day Klim offered me a 40% discount on a new jacket and I took it. I put aside my righteous indignation when I realized that there was not another jacket that I liked as much as my old Carlsbad, so I got another one.

my advice to Klim: just get rid of this warranty, you are just making people mad. I also increased my riding gear protection to $3,000 from Progressive. I think it is costing me $10 a year.

As the original poster on this I thought I would just provide closure on my issue:

-I hired a lawyer to deal with the ticket and it was dismissed. Having a clean driving record sure helped.

-At the end of the day Klim offered me a 40% discount on a new jacket and I took it. I put aside my righteous indignation when I realized that there was not another jacket that I liked as much as my old Carlsbad, so I got another one.

my advice to Klim: just get rid of this warranty, you are just making people mad. I also increased my riding gear protection to $3,000 from Progressive. I think it is costing me $10 a year.
Thanks for your gracious closure to your post. :thumb
It is always helpful to hear how things worked out.
OM

Agreed, very good of the OP to give us the final resolution.

My next question for the person who got a warranty from Gore Tex can you explain a little about how you went about that? I have a Klim Adventure suit I would like to send down that road.

And for the poster who won't buy products made in Vietnam I just wanted to point out that when Mosko Moto decided to get into the riding clothing game they researched manufacturing quality of garments at locations all over the world and they finally decided to use an offshore facility as that's where the best factories were located. They also put a helluva lot of time into researching the fabrics they wanted to use and Gore Tex did not come out on top for breathable etc. Mosko has had a thread on ADVrider from the beginning of starting their company and they have always been very transparent about laying out how they imagine and build products. They often take ideas that people put up on that thread and incorporate them into products. I've been following since almost the beginning and it's been very interesting watching them grow. Their products are exceptional.

Back