• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sidecar, Season ONE!

Hi Jim-

If your asking me if it Has the Duantless Front Ball Joint Mount,

No, it is just stock.

Yes, I am that old too... oh the joy! I remember the days. Of course, there will be some expected excessive wear associated with a hack attached, but If I am driving in a predominating potholed area day to day with this seeking of the wheel to find it's center, should I expect even more wear there in the triple tree and front suspension areas?

There will be more wear when you're trying to steer it. And of course even more wear as you learn to drift it around turns.

It's more of a psychological thing. With a bike you don't notice the weaving as much because your head isn't weaving. With a hack you feel the weave with your body, and (based on bike feedback) that feels like you're losing control.

Relax and let it bounce around, not only side to side, but rolling slightly as the sidecar wheel rises and falls over irregularities.

When we were thinking about a title for the sidecar book, we considered "Sidecar herding."

pmdave

Post 43 answers much for me.

I've been treating it like a horse.
Hips down are attached to the rig. Torso, neck and head independent of the ruckus below.
Little bit of drift to keep me interested in the ride.

Then again... Much of the roads out here are in pretty bad shape.
So it's always interesting. :laugh

I think you hit it on the head there Jim! I have been doing the same kind of thing! straddling the tank higher in the crotch of the seat, feet firmly planted as if in stirrups and holding the bar ends like a pair of reigns, but not too tightly...

Pics are great if I just remember that Camera in the A.M. !!! D'oh!!

Dave,- getting a bit more comfortable every day.

I think you hit it on the head there Jim! I have been doing the same kind of thing! straddling the tank higher in the crotch of the seat, feet firmly planted as if in stirrups and holding the bar ends like a pair of reigns, but not too tightly...

Relax... Stay in control... Think Snowmobile. :D

Thanks everyone. I have enjoyed the "winter" discussions on this thread, keep them coming.

Season TWO is off to a slow start due to weather and my schedule. So far only one ride, a little 40 mile loop from home (in April) to make sure things were working properly. My wife took a photo from her vantage point. I hope for many miles this summer and will post pics here as those miles occur!

r100s-season-two-ride-one-M.jpg

Season TWO is off to a slow start due to weather and my schedule. So far only one ride, a little 40 mile loop from home (in April) to make sure things were working properly. My wife took a photo from her vantage point. I hope for many miles this summer and will post pics here as those miles occur!

Are you coming to the Chelan Rally on the 19th - 22nd?
You really should!!

Are you coming to the Chelan Rally on the 19th - 22nd?
You really should!!

Agreed, I should and thought I just might this year. Then I decided to go to California and bring this home during the same time:

12-M.jpg

I'll try for Chelan again next year! Have fun!

Back