• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT idle speed adjustment

twins4life

What is the proper way to adjust the idle speed? Throttle stop screws or the brass air screw? My RT is idling a bit slow at 900. I'm wary of adjusting the throttle stop screws because of the TPS setting.

TIA

From what I have read, and the way I do it, is adjust idle speed by using the brass idle air bypass screw. The throttle stop screws are set on an "air flow measurement jig" at the BMW factory. If u've already played with the throttle stop screws u can probably reset them by just being careful and using a couple of large fans for cooling. Air balance will be affected by one cylinder being warmer than the other. Precision is the key - a twinmax or better is needed.

Thanks, that s is what I suspected. And no, I didnt mess with the throttle stop screws, but I thought about it.

If you can't achieve the correct idle speed and idle synchronization with the brass bleed screws - and those screws about the same # of turns out - then something else is wrong. Candidates include air leaks, worn throttle plate shaft (which is an air leak), deposits on intake valve heads/stems, improper valve adjustment, etc.

All I did was back each screw out about 1/2 turn or less. Got idle of 1000-1100.

Do I need to check the number of turns for each screw? Or check anything else before I out the tupper ware back on?

if you've adjusted idle speed by moving the BBSs (BigBrassScrews), you most likely will need to do a full TBS with either a TwinMax or a vacuum gauge (manometer). You're likely close to where you wnat to be, but least surging, best performance and most smooth operation will come from a good TBS. Might as well go in and do a valve adjustment while you're at it.

Back