• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Riding a Team Sport"

A

ARValkguy

Most people would never refer to motorcycle riding as a ÔÇ£team sportÔÇØ Even when riding with friends on short rides most riders find themselves spread out moving along at their own pace. Motorcycle riding is for me a lonely solitary endeavor of me and the ÔÇ£roadÔÇØ or so I thought. An odd thing happen to me last fall. Alone on the road, with just my bike and my thoughts, I felt a powerful sense of connection to all motorcycle riders. What I experienced can best be described by the Spanish poet Vincente Aleixandre: ÔÇ£Solitude and meditation gave me awareness, a perspective which I have never lost: that of solidarity with the rest of mankind.ÔÇØ
My time on the bike last year gave me a sense of solidarity with all of you, my fellow riders. ThereÔÇÖs a connectedness that occurs between people who hold the same interests. It does not matter what that passion is. Sharing a passion leads to incredible connectedness; the stronger the passion, the stronger the potential bond.
Motorcycle riding is my passion. I feel a kinship with people who share this interest. When it comes to strength of passion, IÔÇÖve met few people more dedicated to their interests than motorcycle riders. Words literally fail us when we try to describe our enthusiasm for riding.
How many times have you tried to explain your love for riding to a non-rider, only to realize you are up against an impossible task? They canÔÇÖt fully understand. ItÔÇÖs like trying to explain to a friend how you uniquely you love your children. Your friend might have a child. They probably love their children in a similar way, however he canÔÇÖt put himself in your heart and understand the feelings you hold towards your kids. Obviously your affections towards your children are vastly deeper than those you hold to motorcycle riding, but my point still stands: a non rider can not identify with your passion for riding. But I can. And knowing that you identify with me, as well, creates an affinity between us. It is almost eerie how motorcycle riders understand each other, regardless of the brand they ride.
My wife, Sandy frequently rolls her eyes when she watches me encounter another motorcycle rider. She stands in awe at how instantly I develop a friendship with a not so perfect stranger, someone who shares my love for feeling the breeze on your face, the way the road slips past as you travel on two wheels. We all have that wave; you know it never fails to put a smile on my face when I do the little wave. I know there is that ÔÇ£connectionÔÇØ between us that small but fast growing fraternity of fellow riders. I donÔÇÖt take time to see the model of bike or the brand of jacket. I just wave. When I pass my brother or sister rider and find myself unable to give ÔÇ£the waveÔÇØ it makes me a little sad. I say to myself they must think ÔÇ£snobby BMW riders.ÔÇØ
I have often found myself in a difficult business situation, maybe trying to close a big deal or attempting to convince someone that I am the man for the job. Somehow someway I mention my love of bikes, amazing how things now are lighter more encouraging for me. As a soldier I have seen how we come together when we feel stress when the situation dictates that we work as a team ÔÇ£right nowÔÇØ out of necessity. We are a close knit bunch over here because the safety of our brothers, sisters and ourselves demands that we be close. It is the same for motorcycle riders we look out for each other, I see a rider broke down, I stop. I hear about an accident I am concerned for their safety. I donÔÇÖt say well did they have gear on? I donÔÇÖt say what kind of bike were they riding? I donÔÇÖt say was it a member of some club? I do say I hope they are ok and back to riding soon.
When I get home from Iraq, I will kiss my wife and all of my children, I will take some time to visit and restbut as soon possible I will jump on my motorcycle and ride some lonely, isolated, twisty country back road. I will wave when I see a fellow rider but mostly I will be smiling and you will all know what I am thinking

Kelly

I always ride alone, but I know what you mean about the connection. I look forward to returning your wave. Or discussing the roads at a rest stop.

Wishing you many happy miles,
Dan

Last edited:
Well said, Kelly!

I look forward to meeting you at the Rally in TN.

I may be riding from the rally to a family reunion near Arkadelphia. Where do you live there?

I am kind of new to writing things like this down. I blame it on my IPOD, I hate those things. I hooked my IPOD up to my computer to charge it but my external hard drive with my Itunes library was not hooked up so when it did the sync thing it erased all the music. So when I began an early morning ride I got all atgatted up and put my earbuds in, put my helmet on then nothing. I had plenty of time alone with my thoughts. That is kind of dangerous, lol. I would enjoy some feedback. I have some more stories and thoughts. I know there are some big brains out there that read the posts here. Give me your thoughts. Thanks.

Kelly

Back