• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What to pack?

Interesting thread. After 50 years of touring by bicycle and motorcycle, this is what works for me -- For a trip of 1-5 days, I pack enough clothes so I don't spend any precious time waiting for a washing machine or a dryer. For trips longer than 5 days, I pack clothes for 3-4 days, washing every couple of days. Like others have suggested, my clothes are quick-drying, and I wash them by hand in my motel room. They're dry in time to pack for the next day. I'll do a proper wash if I'm staying in the same motel for more than 1 day somewhere in the middle of the trip. I do carry detergent in ziploc bags for these longer trips.

Long answer to a short question: For many years I would shop right after New Years Day for socks and underwear because it was on sale. I would then throw out my last year's socks and underwear even though the things had some life left in them. Then in 1999 I saved all the 1998 stuff.

So when I rode the 1999 Iron Butt 11 day Rally I packed underwear and socks so I could wear them for two days and then throw them out. I did the same thing in the 2003 rally.

Since then, on some long trips I have packed stuff to be worn and tossed.

As always YMMV biggly! :)

I have a riding buddy who always takes a very worn pair of undies to a rally, then discards them when they are dirty.
I have subsequently considered this mode of reducing my underwear population. ;)

The moto-skivees products are 6 years old and don't show enough signs of wear to discard them. Expensive? some might think so, but I've not had to buy any riding underwear or riding socks for that long.

I won't wear the normal Hanes boxers for any length of ride over 2 hours as the stitching creates hot spots on the butt where I'm squirming around trying to get comfortable

Any suggestions for lightweight riding slacks instead of jeans for hot weather? My poly pants cook me.

Any suggestions for lightweight riding slacks instead of jeans for hot weather? My poly pants cook me.
I wear a pair of Dainese pants that have vent flaps on the thighs. Under it, I wear poly briefs. I wore an Aerostich for a couple decades, but it's not really a great touring article if it's hot because you have to wear something under it. I tried wearing bicycle gear and it works alright, in all honesty. The shorts even have a nice chamois pad that makes your seat comfier and the jerseys are super good at wicking moisture.

Basically jeans don't get used on tour or on any riding.

Oh - Olympia Motorsport Airglide pants... With light liners under.
Comes in black only? Not an option here in Az's summer heat. I run Olympia rain gear however, and it's been a stellar product for the last 6 years. The Olympia jacket isn't worn as much as it could be simply because it's also black/grey.

Back