• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What to pack?

The Oly Airglide gear is great for me, as I can wear work clothes under, and leave the overpants on the bike at the office. For colder weather, warmer pants under, for hot weather a pair of thin, moisture wicking pants is great as the ventilation helps with cooling.

Black, if it allows airflow, isn't as bad as most people think. There's a reason black is worn so much in desert nations - Yes, it does "get warm" under the sun, but it also radiates heat faster than any other color, so if there is airflow it cools quickly.

With my airflow jacket, an evap cool vest under the jacket is great unless the humidity is high. a 1/2 liter water bottle and gallon ziplock bag is perfect for refreshing the vest.

Base - Motoskivvies, Klim Aggressor shirts (lighter ones for hotter weather) and old REI and Patagonia capilene and fleeces of various weights depending on temp and duration

Hot weather pants - Klim Mojave paired with an Induction jacket

I don't believe in a disposable life. All my clothes go out and come back. I buy quality gar that lasts which is why almost all of my camping gear is 20 years old.

You have received a lot of good advice regarding what to pack, much of it the same as I take on my trips. As you will likely be returning home through northern Ontario, remember that morning temperatures there, even in the summer, are very cold. Even though I always pack heated gear, I believe a warm long sleeve shirt is what kept me comfortable in the north on a ride to and from Winnipeg. Another option for chilly mornings is a raincoat over your riding gear. Enjoy your ride!

You have received a lot of good advice regarding what to pack, much of it the same as I take on my trips. As you will likely be returning home through northern Ontario, remember that morning temperatures there, even in the summer, are very cold. Even though I always pack heated gear, I believe a warm long sleeve shirt is what kept me comfortable in the north on a ride to and from Winnipeg. Another option for chilly mornings is a raincoat over your riding gear. Enjoy your ride!
I have received quite a lot of good advice - for which I am very thankful for! You are quite right about morning temps, especially north of Superior. I’ve always relied on Smartwool baselayers in various weights.
We missed going to the gym this week due to a bout with covid, but I’m sure we’ll back next week, continuing with my rehab. The first test of my conditioning will be a ride to Spearfish at the end of June - if I can ride to and from there (6 days) then I can ride home from Nova Scotia (also 6 days).

Back