• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rain protection for radar detectors and other electronics?

alexol

For quite some time I've been thinking about and looking for rain'/splash resistant covers for radar detectors and other non-waterproof electronic toys. The options seem to be either a huge fugly black box for about $100, or ziplock bags.

Ideally, you want something that works and looks decent enough to leave in place, and for a reasonable price.

The attached photo shows a V1 cover from New Zealand. I think there was a place in the US that had them for a while, but I haven't seen them or anything similar for a long time.

Cutting a long story short, I was thinking of making a range of covers for just about anything anyone wanted (RDs, two way radios, phones, whatever) using a vacuum forming system. They'd look similar to, but hopefully better than, the NZ version.

Covers would have to be reasonably effective (rain resistant but not fully waterproof), and would have to look presentable. I don't like putting ugly crap on my bikes & don't suppose anyone else does either.

I know - as motorcyclists, we are a notoriously cheap bunch, so most people will go for a zip lock bag or stuff the RD in a pannier or wherever ;)

My question is: would there be any interest in these covers? I think they'd be about $40.

Thoughts, anyone?

BTW, this is in the very early stages of thinking about it. Nothing has been designed yet, there's nothing you can order, nothing for sale - pure market research.

In the photo, the hole you can see is in the bottom for the wire, not the top...

20210216_142530.jpg

Last edited:
I have the concealed display as well as a Marc Parnes remote LED alert. I already have my V1 in an ABS box I built. It provides limited protection from rain and from prying eyes, but is rather crude.

AD26EF5A-DD7E-412C-9FB3-3CC4A8B9972C.jpg

Some guys would buy it but I can buy a lot of zip lock bags for $40. I keep a handful of bags and rubber bands with all the time. They get used up for rain protection and other uses too.

I have the concealed display as well as a Marc Parnes remote LED alert. I already have my V1 in an ABS box I built. It provides limited protection from rain and from prying eyes, but is rather crude.

AD26EF5A-DD7E-412C-9FB3-3CC4A8B9972C.jpg

It may be a little crude but if it works for you and does what you want....

Some guys would buy it but I can buy a lot of zip lock bags for $40. I keep a handful of bags and rubber bands with all the time. They get used up for rain protection and other uses too.

And there are people who buy cubic zirconia too;)

It all depends on what you want and how you see the world. There are a whole bunch of people on here who have spent many thousands on all sorts of gadgets and gizmos...

Personally, having spent well north of $20 on my bike, a ziplock bag and a rubber band just don't do it for me. Each to his or her own...

Ultimate solution is no box.
Buy a waterproof radar detector...?

Most smartphones are waterproof nowadays,
but they should be in a pocket not on the handle bars anyways.

MC GPS units are waterproof.

I have a Valentine One; Annie runs an Adaptive detector that is specifically for motorcycle use and is waterproof. I used the Adaptve for year on a bike. Hands down, the V1 is the superior detector. Greater range, many fewer false alarms, provides the direction to the signal source, provides information in an easy to decipher format (not just different sounds) and is upgradable. My V1 is going on eight years old and has over 100K miles of motorcycle use with no issues and no performance awards. Was pulled over once when clocked by an airplane in NE.... no ticket.

Back