• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Q: painkiller in morning of LD ride

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
I have read some people take a preventative dose of over-the-counter painkiller in the morning before a long ride.

Aspirin and ibuprofen have been mentioned as being anti-inflamitories, good for knee pain, for example.

Do you do this? Why or why not?

Is it effective?

How many doses work for you during the day?

Vitamin A.
(Aleve)
Once in the morning does it. On a long ride, maybe another after 8 hours or so, but that seems to be the advantage of Aleve. It last a long time.

Ken

Three ibuprofens before any ride longer than 3 hours. Three are good for me for about 9 hours. I weigh 195. Keeps away the hip joint pain and knee pain.:gerg

How old?

Just where are you fella's in age? I'm 60, still no pain meds for me, but I know many are younger and even older too and need'em for good reasons. I'm not nit picking, just wondering myself how many years i ride into seniorism, hoping to go a very long ways yet:). IB pills work really good for me, the gel ones at 200mg each, but still none needed to assist my riding long days. Hope you guys/gals can keep it going, as I would hate giving up my passion for mc'in around the globe. I'm with ya, wishing ya well and Godspeed:)...Randy:thumb

I won't go into the list of supplements I take in general that are part of my regimen to live a healthy lifestyle, but in keeping with this thread I would also suggest glucosamine chondritin for overall good healthy joints. And not so much for the pain, I take aspirin before for a long ride more for the blood thinning capabilities. Just as folks are at risk for blood clots from sitting in thier car or on planes for hours we too are susceptible on our bikes. So be sure to really walk around when you fuel up and move around on the bike. The last thing you want is a blood clot. And both young and older are at risk. 21 year old son of my wife's friend did a road trip with his college buddies from southern cal to Seattle and back. Her soon was hospitalized with blood clots. He sat in that car for a 21 hour stretch and docs attribute it to being sedentary in one position for so long.

I used to take an Advil on the first day of a long ride to help prevent any soreness while my body got used to the ride. However, in the health section of the Globe & Mail about a year ago, a new report recommended in putting up with the initial pain (without medication) and the body reacts by healing that discomfort. Pain killers simply mask the pain, which prevents it from healing.

Experimented with that philosophy last summer with my ride to California. After some initial soreness, it was a painless experience. However, what I also do, before embarking on a long ride, is to spend some quality time in the saddle, allowing my body to become accustomed to the riding position. I am 65, but I am lucky as I have no joint or arthritis problems.

Heres to all you young "whipper snappers" I am 72 and take one Aleve in the AM and one at night
. Stopping more often and stretching probably helps more. BMW's are notorious for knee problems. (riding position) No knee problems on the Harley. I try to take a short break every 75 miles.

Jack

Yoga:)

I hear the Sedalia National Rally will have a Yoga seminar, workout phenom:). I welcome it, as my bones ache more every year and even if and likely I cannot do Yoga at its extreme level, I can benefit from some new experience. Hope it will help some. I am not a pill consumer, kind a always been a hard head about it all my life. Maybe a guy thing! Clearly, aspirin and IB are great aides should wake up and listen more. Joint stuff out there is ever so present too nowadays.........Randy:dance

If you are not currently experiencing pain, please consider the following before starting to take medication as a preventive.

Stretch and walk every time you stop...especially stretch your hamstrings. Stretch your legs while riding under safe conditions.

Use analgesic cream/ointment as often as needed.

If and when you start taking pain meds, use the lightest dose of the safest drug and increase as you need it.

I'm 66, have a bad knee from downhill skiing accident more than 30 years ago, and herniated disks in my back. When on tour, I ride 500-800 mile days. Yes I use pain meds, but the stretching at gas and other stops help as much as the meds.

Aleve in the a.m. and again at p.m...makes a world of difference..62 yrs. young. Not many stops along the way if I'm trying to get somewhere, other than for fuel stops.

47 y/o MS patient... I take 1 Advil/Ibuprofin if I know I'm going to be on the bike for 2+ hours (including pit stops) Just makes the limbs a bit more loose.

I won't go into the list of supplements I take in general that are part of my regimen to live a healthy lifestyle, but in keeping with this thread I would also suggest glucosamine chondritin for overall good healthy joints. And not so much for the pain, I take aspirin before for a long ride more for the blood thinning capabilities. Just as folks are at risk for blood clots from sitting in thier car or on planes for hours we too are susceptible on our bikes. So be sure to really walk around when you fuel up and move around on the bike. The last thing you want is a blood clot. And both young and older are at risk. 21 year old son of my wife's friend did a road trip with his college buddies from southern cal to Seattle and back. Her soon was hospitalized with blood clots. He sat in that car for a 21 hour stretch and docs attribute it to being sedentary in one position for so long.
Depending on which day you read about aspirin , it is either keeping you alive or going to kill you! I'm 68 & take the 81mg (senior version extended release Wally world version) rec by my doc. I AM NO DOC!-but Aleve & Ibu are the same category-save your $ & take the ibuprofens-just takes more to = Aleve tab. I used to take Relafen for arthritis but kidneys were compromised from a virus(long story,I'll spare you) & mu kidney doc said she heard @ a conference that she would win the Nobel prize if she could come up with a drug in the classes just mentioned(my 800mg Relafen's were equal to a bunch of Aleve & in same class-nsaids) that kidney patients could use without kidney affects. Bottomline, don't take these drugs unless you have normal full functioning kidneys and be aware that requent/heavy use of them will put your kidneys at risk. I say this because many people are popping ibu's & Aleve like candy in our society.
As to pain kileer use, sad to say there are way to many in some people's house. My young doc nephew says he had absolutely no idea just how many older people are using large amounts of pain killers. Said to be(again very sad!) one of the main sources for abusers is granny & grandpas stash in the cabinet!

Boy thats a true'ism!

We hate our pains, indeed and too many folk are there:(. I agree, eating this stuff will kill you equally fast, when used too regular in higher doses, daily. I was there too, got off it after I realised it was not working for me anymore. Works great in the early days, just your body says whats up after a while? Randy

I have experimented with all the usual over the counter stuff, for me Aleve or any generic ( less expensive) Nsaid works the best.

I don't always take them and feel the difference when i do not on a day ride.

Back