• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Post here if you've had prematurely worn cam lobe(s) in your wethead

This one I saw from JVB Productions had a 1/4" of each lobe gone only the width of the follower, the original shape of the lobe was there on each end as a thin slice, and the owner said he really had not noticed a power difference?

View attachment 75034

Holy canoli.

I wonder if the wear is similar on the opposite side of the motor.

BTW I bought an '18 thinking that any bugs would have been sorted out by the end of the model run. After going through GetragHell with a '94 Oilhead, I swore off "Beta Year" BMWs.

Hopefully these failures aren't too common, but I am glad I got a comprehensive extended service agreement.

Holy canoli.

I wonder if the wear is similar on the opposite side of the motor.

BTW I bought an '18 thinking that any bugs would have been sorted out by the end of the model run. After going through GetragHell with a '94 Oilhead, I swore off "Beta Year" BMWs.

Hopefully these failures aren't too common, but I am glad I got a comprehensive extended service agreement.

One YT BMW master mechanic says it's oil related. Use Advantec and nothing will every go wrong. For some reason I doubt that. If an oil meets the spec, it should be good and I've heard of failures with BMWs oil too, so there's that. It's more likely a combination of heat treatment and the path of oil lubrication. Dodge Hemi's have a similar problem and some think it's the position of the lifters, some say there are other factors. Whatever the case, they should have this bucked out already.

One YT BMW master mechanic says it's oil related. Use Advantec and nothing will every go wrong. For some reason I doubt that. If an oil meets the spec, it should be good and I've heard of failures with BMWs oil too, so there's that. It's more likely a combination of heat treatment and the path of oil lubrication. Dodge Hemi's have a similar problem and some think it's the position of the lifters, some say there are other factors. Whatever the case, they should have this bucked out already.

A BMW master mechanic would be really stupid to go on record saying something like that. As you said, it's the oil specs or certified rating that matters. The owners manual says BMW recommends "Advantec Ultimate" oil which is API SN /JASO MA2. The oil actually specified by BMW is actually API SL/ JASO MA2. No where in the manual is Advantec Ultimate "Specified".

I use API SN /JASO MA2 in my 1250RT, but it's not Advantec Ultimate. I use Motul 7100 4T 5W40 which is about six bucks cheaper on Amazon than Advantec Ultimate. BMW Advantec Ultimate oil is produced by Shell. Really, if the Advantec really had some additives that the engines required, why would BMW not specify it rather than eat the cost of changing cams and cam followers? The parts alone crazy expensive.

I would not be happy paying more for Advantec Ultimate oil, but I'd shell out the extra bucks for it if BMW said I had to use it to prevent things like premature cam wear. Car makers specify specific brand types for various types of fluids all the time. Of course, that would be admitting that the cams are really substandard.

A BMW master mechanic would be really stupid to go on record saying something like that. As you said, it's the oil specs or certified rating that matters. The owners manual says BMW recommends "Advantec Ultimate" oil which is API SN /JASO MA2. The oil actually specified by BMW is actually API SL/ JASO MA2. No where in the manual is Advantec Ultimate "Specified".

I use API SN /JASO MA2 in my 1250RT, but it's not Advantec Ultimate. I use Motul 7100 4T 5W40 which is about six bucks cheaper on Amazon than Advantec Ultimate. BMW Advantec Ultimate oil is produced by Shell. Really, if the Advantec really had some additives that the engines required, why would BMW not specify it rather than eat the cost of changing cams and cam followers? The parts alone crazy expensive.

I would not be happy paying more for Advantec Ultimate oil, but I'd shell out the extra bucks for it if BMW said I had to use it to prevent things like premature cam wear. Car makers specify specific brand types for various types of fluids all the time. Of course, that would be admitting that the cams are really substandard.

I like the guy a lot, but we disagree on a couple things. This is one of them. It's a BMW problem, not an owner issue.

That Master Mechanic should be held accountable, For causing a perfectly good Cam Lobe discussion to morph in to an "Oil thread". :cry

A YT BMW master mechanic! Please sent the link.

R1200GSW Intake cam.jpg

My right cams look like this at 41000 miles, left side looks perfect. Always done early oil changes with specified full syn oil.

Dealer says to keep eye on it. I still have extended warrenty for 16 month, but would like it fixed.

I have a ZDDP zinc additive I use on old airhead, but because of wet clutch, I hesitate to use it.

Joe

View attachment 82812

My right cams look like this at 41000 miles, left side looks perfect. Always done early oil changes with specified full syn oil.

Dealer says to keep eye on it. I still have extended warrenty for 16 month, but would like it fixed.

I have a ZDDP zinc additive I use on old airhead, but because of wet clutch, I hesitate to use it.

Joe

That is really interesting. Cams on one side good. Cams on the other side horrible. One thought would be that the cams came from different batches. Maybe. Another thought would be that there is an oiling problem on one side and not the other. Maybe. I wish we knew what BMW knows. :banghead

View attachment 82812

Joe

“Keep an eye on it” ??
To what purpose?

That cam is failed, along with any follower riding against it. The material missing from that lobe went somewhere and was circulated throughout your engine, and “keeping an eye on it” is only going to continue that process. You have warranty in effect; your dealer should be ordering parts and replacing at a minimum cams and followers at least on that side, and preferably both sides. If it were my bike I’d be getting a second opinion from another dealer...

Best,
DeVern

I checked my valves last week, still within the specs and no visual sign of wear at 93K km.

One question I have for you guys, I read that according to BMW the problem wasn't cam hardening but an issue with the cam followers which causes the cam to wear. Is this true or not?

I do not understand how the diamond coating coming off a rocker arm wears a cam lobe?

Can anyone walk me through that?

I don’t know specifically on this engine parts problem. I did learn, mostly the hard way, when I had my first foray into “hard facing” (welding), that pieces of hardened material that rubbed together had to have a “matched” hardness or the lesser would end up sacrificial.
OM

Wouldn't it be nice if BMW motorcycles used roller cam followers like have been used on most cars for at least 25 years. Just on the post-1993 boxer motors they have gone through at least four redesigns of the valve train pieces: Oilhead, Hexhead, Camhead, Wethead. It puzzles me why they are still using the old scrape and slide technology.

I do not understand how the diamond coating coming off a rocker arm wears a cam lobe?

Can anyone walk me through that?

I've not seen any pictures of worn followers. Nobody seems to look at those, they just see the damaged cam and assume that is the defective part.

I can imagine a hard/brittle diamond-based coating flaking off in bits, leaving a divot with a thin, hard, sharp edge to chisel away the cam. Like a bit on a lathe turning a cylinder.

Back