• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pinlock users, year round?

John, there is no such warning on my Pinlock sleeve, the cardboard that comes with it and has all the graphics, writing, etc. I know that they use that warning for their tinted lenses (makes sense), but don't have it on my clear one.

Like you say, it might be a Canadian thing, we're much less litigious here although we are slowly getting worse and worse. Don't know where I'll go if we get to full granny mode of nobody being held responsible for their own stupidity. ;-)

I have two clear pinlocks, both included with Shoei helmets purchase in the last 3 years or so and both have the warning about night time use. The warning does say it applies to the U.S., Australia and Europe so maybe pinlocks sold in other countries don't include that warning. It sounds like it is just to comply with laws in the relevant countries.

From my experience, the clear pinlock does SLIGHTLY darken things. I notice this on gloomy days, where is makes them seem a tad more gloomy. It transmits enough lights for nighttime use IMHO, my only gripe is that at night you get strange halos and reflections from light sources.

By the way, I agree with you on Canadians being less litigious. Don't follow our lead on that one if you can avoid it.

From my experience, the clear pinlock does SLIGHTLY darken things. I notice this on gloomy days, where is makes them seem a tad more gloomy. It transmits enough lights for nighttime use IMHO, my only gripe is that at night you get strange halos and reflections from light sources.

By the way, I agree with you on Canadians being less litigious. Don't follow our lead on that one if you can avoid it.

I agree with your observation Irish, that looking through a Pinlock on a shield is definitely gloomier on dark days. For that reason and the minor distortion I think it imparts, I've tried to avoid using the Pinnock.

As to civil litigation, I have worked for years in helping defend LEOs in what are called 1983 actions in Federal District Court. IMO, civil litigation has a legitimate purpose and helps hold public servants to something other than a very high bar of a criminal standard for their actions.

I should note that I live in an area (Boston) with a few law schools within 5 miles of my house. In this area, law practice is a major industry.

Enough out of me. Good weather in Boston tomorrow. Time to ride!

Keep it on all the time my Schuberth C3 Pro. I've taken the Pinlock visor off once two or three times to clean. The effectiveness has diminished.

Overall, I don't think the Pinlock meets my cost-benefit test; I'll go back to the Fog City inserts I've used in the past and put the savings toward gas.

Back