• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav 6 Touch screen malfunction in cold weather

Snoops

Good evening,
Anyone out there have issues with the Nav 6 touch screen malfunction in cold weather. Mine just recently started with the onset of cold weather.
It works fine in the house where it's warm but if ride out in the morning it doesn't function. The unit is about 6 years old and doesn't stay charged long after removing it from the cradle, and goes dead on the bike after a few days of sitting in the garage. The software version is up to date. I'm wondering if replacing the battery will help??
I would greatly appreciate any input on this issue.
Thank you :)

Battery likely problem. Let Garmin know - they'll send you a free replacement with instructions.

(Of course with their luck with the touch screens on the VI, depending on what you tell them, they might simply send a replacement unit.)

Thank you,
Didn't think to contact Garmin
It's out of warranty by now, however worth a try!
I did see that Seirra BMW has replacement batteries for just over $100

Are you actually turning the Nav VI off by pressing and holding the power button until the power-offscreen appears, then selecting “off”? You can’t do that with the Nav in the cradle, it has to be removed so you can access the power button. If you turn off the bike and then select “off” in the screen that pops up, the unit will just go into sleep mode and not power off completely. That may be part of your battery issue.

If you do need a new battery it’s quite possible it may be cheaper directly from Garmin.

As for the ghosting, contact Garmin support directly. They will exchange it for a refurb unit as the ghosting is a known and common issue on the Nav VI.

Best,
DeVern

No need to worry about the battery. The Nav6 ghosting problem is a known problem for which Garmin has continued to replace units long after warranty. I'm on my 4th or 5th Nav6 in several years. Though Garmin has stood behind the Nav6, I have relegated the Nav6 to displaying bike info and using an XT2 for navigation as I can't take a chance when during a trip that the Nav6 will crap out

Thank you all for the wonderful information,
I had no idea there was problems with the touch screen on Nav 6.
I will be contacting Garmin.
Hope each of you has a great day,
I Really appreciate the advice.

Back