• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pinlock users, year round?

monkeyb

I just got an HJC RPHA Max which comes with the Pinlock system. Do you use it year round or just in cooler weather?

Year around. I have found that the process of removing and reinstalling, along with handling and storage, can reduce the effectiveness of the seal.

Year around. I have found that the process of removing and reinstalling, along with handling and storage, can reduce the effectiveness of the seal.
Exactly. If I remove my pinlock I always put a new one on. Once removed it doesn't seem to seal as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have found that the Pinlock insert on my Shoei NeoTec seems to increase the distortion of images through the shield. The ventilation in the Shoei was high enough that I didn't need the Pinlock this past Winter/Spring riding season.

I have found that the Pinlock insert on my Shoei NeoTec seems to increase the distortion of images through the shield. The ventilation in the Shoei was high enough that I didn't need the Pinlock this past Winter/Spring riding season.

Just checking: You peeled of the plastic cover on the shield before use, right? I never noticed any distortion using a Pinlock.

I've heard of very rare cases of distortion, but virtually all were attributed to the pinlock shield not being completely seated. It's tricky sometimes to get it on properly. Usually goes right on for me but not always. Also possible that you happen to have an astigmatism that gets accentuated by the two layers, or something like that. Definitely not fun I'm sure.

Us my pinlock year round.

There are plenty of times during the summer where a pinlock is very beneficial, such as very early morning starts, as well as some rain and high humidity periods, etc. I keep the sleeve that the pinlock comes in and when I remove one it goes back into that sleeve and into a visor bag (they're $10 from Tour Master, etc.). Haven't had any issues with re-installing a pinlock using this process.

I keep two shields for the Schuberth-- one with pin lock, one without. I find it easier/faster to change shields than disturb the pin lock. And once warm weather hits, the pin lock pretty much stays at home.

Best,
DG

I keep two shields for the Schuberth-- one with pin lock, one without. I find it easier/faster to change shields than disturb the pin lock. And once warm weather hits, the pin lock pretty much stays at home.

Best,
DG

Good strategy! Personally, I remove my pinlock for most riding. I find that it diminishes the clarity of the shield on nice days.

Just in cold weather. It only takes a few seconds to remove or put back on. The instructions with mine specifically said not to leave it on the visor for long periods of time. I've been using it seasonally for four years with no issues. I suspect that if you leave it on all year and then remove it the silicone seal sticks to the visor and gets damaged, which is why others are having issues with them. Also, the pins rotate to adjust how hard the pinlock presses against the visor. So that could potentially solve problems with a poor seal.

Thanks for the input. It's a new Helmet so I'm going to try it for a bit before I put the Pinlock on. So far so good. It's an HJC RPHA Max, if anyone had any questions about it I'm happy to answer.

Thanks for the input. It's a new Helmet so I'm going to try it for a bit before I put the Pinlock on. So far so good. It's an HJC RPHA Max, if anyone had any questions about it I'm happy to answer.

Monkeyb - Your signature doesn't indicate where you're living and riding. The reason I ask is that I rode my RT in temperatures down to 26F this Winter, and never felt the need to put the PinLock in my Shoei Neotec. I could crack the shield a little, get some airflow (even behind my raised windshield) and had perfect vision with no fogging. That said, the PinLock was designed and implemented to serve a purpose, and for many riders it does.

I have an RT as well and use the pinlock. I would not have bought one as I've always used the visor-cracking method as well. My GT Air came with a pinlock so I tried it. The sweet thing about the pinlock is, you don't have to crack the visor and it STILL doesn't fog. For me, that's handy on the colder days. Also, the new shoei visor design in the GT Air and Neotech opens the visor significantly wider at the first click, giving more airflow than I prefer during cold weather.

pinlock

I to wear a shoei neotec and the pinlock works great I do get some fog problems in certain weather conditions when I start the ride or at first few stop signs slight distortion pinlock might need cleaning I was going to start a thread to see about summer removal. Different question your out it gets dark do you remove pinlock? In some states that is the law last question on my neotec sometimes it seems like a gale blowing thru other time seems like no venting at all with vents all open

To your knowledge, has anyone been cited for riding with a pinlock after dark?
Although I don't ride much after dark, I don't see the issue of riding with a pinlock on.
I wear mine all the time. On cold days, cracking open my shield cools my prescription lenses which will fog up at the next stop.

AFAIK, there would be nothing to cite, unless one were using a tinted pinlock, but certainly nothing to cite for using the standard clear pinlock.

Alan - There is a warning on the Pinlock package which indicates that using the Pinlock insert reduces the light transmission below 80%. That does seem to be below a standard in Europe (80%), the US (85%) and Australia(85%). Perhaps Canada has no standard. In any case, I believe that on each Pinlock insert a warning not to use it at night is embossed. Here's a photo of the printed material from Pinlock:

IMG_3116.jpg

Of course, most LEO's won't know about this. However, if an incident occurs, and some civil litigant hires a good PI (esp. one with a motorcycle background), then there could be problems for the wearer and/or his/her insurer.

pinlock on and forget it - Schuberth C3 Pro

I've used the pinlock on my C3 Pro since new, with this being the fourth season. Never take it off, never notice it. Absolutely no distortion I can notice. I still have to crack the visor when my glasses fog up. In upper michigan, you can get a swing from 70f to 30F even in July, so it's nice to have.

John, there is no such warning on my Pinlock sleeve, the cardboard that comes with it and has all the graphics, writing, etc. I know that they use that warning for their tinted lenses (makes sense), but don't have it on my clear one.

Like you say, it might be a Canadian thing, we're much less litigious here although we are slowly getting worse and worse. Don't know where I'll go if we get to full granny mode of nobody being held responsible for their own stupidity. ;-)

Back