• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

It’s been almost a year, how do you feel about the Covid vaccine?

What will be your approach for COVID vaccination?

• I’m going to pass on the vaccination.

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • I’m rather nervous but feel it’s worth the risk.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I’m intentionally going to wait- not sure how long.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Waiting my turn in the distribution/vaccination line will give me the information I need.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I’m high risk, ASAP.

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • Not high risk but will take it as soon as I can get it.

Votes: 34 43.0%

• Total voters
Everyone who resides in the White House should take it first!

As an interesting side note; Google Ivermectin or Dr Pierre Kory.

Who is Carole Spicer?

No mention of vaccines for pneumonia, flu, shingles, polio, tetanus and probably a handful of other vaccines I need spell checker for.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

At my house we have already dealt with Bell's Palsy from Lyme disease and a bout with shingles. We'll be waiting and watching. Best wishes to all.

The mRNA technology is a major medical breakthrough which has been in development since 1986. It now seems to work far better than older vaccine technology using live virus or killed virus. For example both Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines seem to exceed 90 to 95 percent effective compared to the claimed effectiveness of 70% or so for the Astra Zeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines which both use the older approach.

Time will tell but it sure seems I would rather have one with 95% effectiveness rather than 75% effectiveness. YMMV of course.

There are many that feel this was developed too quickly. Sure, it was developed fast but it may help to remember that the whole world was working on this. As Paul mentioned, this is not the “start from scratch” kinda deal from the past.
I’m hoping for success and this type of “fast” development leads to more relief from other medical ailments.
OM

Who is Carole Spicer?

No mention of vaccines for pneumonia, flu, shingles, polio, tetanus and probably a handful of other vaccines I need spell checker for.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Just another person questioning the rapid approval of a drug by the fda. The facts stated in her post are for everyone's consideration.

Just another person questioning the rapid approval of a drug by the fda. The facts stated in her post are for everyone's consideration.

So folks suspect Trump's FDA of disengenuity. How about Great Britain? Canada? Bahrain? All who approved ahead of the U.S. Also note that the Pfizer vaccine was not part of operation warp speed. They refused the Government investment, although they did take an order not then paid for until approval.

I believe in trust but verify but I don't believe in distrust all whatever.

Facts? Rarely found in tweets and other social media that gets passed on without reading or research into validity.

No vaccine for cancer; no vaccine for HIV
A factual statement would have been that The M.D.Anderson Cancer Center lists 7 viral-related cancers and of those, one DOES have a vaccine (HPV) and at least one other has a vaccine in trial (HIV).

As for the speed of development, there is a long but very good article in The Atlantic today that addresses how the vaccines were developed so rapidly, along with a raft of other good information relating to the impact of COVID-19 on the science community in general. It’s a good read for anyone interested in all aspects of the disease—scientific, social, political, etc.

Best,
DeVern

This past year has seen an awful lot of polarized discussions on various media on a variety of subjects. Rarely does anyone concede anything to an opposing point of view. It seems that folks start with and stick to an ideology and believe that which supports it. The bottom line seems to be that the exchanges accomplish nothing by way of learning or compromise or even appreciation of differing views. I have decided to give up on those type of discussions but it is worrisome that there is such rampant devisiveness.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

So folks suspect Trump's FDA of disengenuity. How about Great Britain? Canada? Bahrain? All who approved ahead of the U.S. Also note that the Pfizer vaccine was not part of operation warp speed. They refused the Government investment, although they did take an order not then paid for until approval.

I believe in trust but verify but I don't believe in distrust all whatever.

That's me, I'll wait until millions have been vaccinated and a year has gone by for reported side effects.

Don't take a flu shot either, as the one time I did, it made me sick when I was healthy.

I don't think it's Trumps FDA, just the way the FDA has made so many mistakes in the past approving drugs that then are found to have harmed more than helped.

Remember, the FDA acts upon data provided to them by the companies that are producing the products. They have to review all of this evidence, which includes clinical trials. When the FDA "makes a mistake", it's usually because a company has falsified data of some type.

Was this vaccine "rushed"? Sure it was. But, given the effects this pandemic is having on people and the economy across the entire planet? Give it your best shot, Pfizer, Moderna, etc. Oxford University is involved, the Mayo Clinic is involved, the development and testing of this vaccine has been an enormous group effort.

I chose that I would wait my turn. I made that choice because I think there are lots of people more vulnerable than I who should get it first. I'll wait my turn. For the record, I do get a flu shot every year. Frankly, I don't know if I've ever actually had the real flu. I haven't done it my entire life, only the last 15-20 years because I work at places that provide them free of charge, and at the office. Can't beat that for convenience.

I guess we'll see. The world has NEVER been in this predicament before, not even in 1918. The world is learning as we go. I, too, will go with the "trust, but verify", that's always a sound position. But given the enormity of this pandemic, I'm OK trusting all the science that's went into this so far.

Remember, the FDA acts upon data provided to them by the companies that are producing the products. They have to review all of this evidence, which includes clinical trials. When the FDA "makes a mistake", it's usually because a company has falsified data of some type.

Was this vaccine "rushed"? Sure it was. But, given the effects this pandemic is having on people and the economy across the entire planet? Give it your best shot, Pfizer, Moderna, etc. Oxford University is involved, the Mayo Clinic is involved, the development and testing of this vaccine has been an enormous group effort.

I chose that I would wait my turn. I made that choice because I think there are lots of people more vulnerable than I who should get it first. I'll wait my turn. For the record, I do get a flu shot every year. Frankly, I don't know if I've ever actually had the real flu. I haven't done it my entire life, only the last 15-20 years because I work at places that provide them free of charge, and at the office. Can't beat that for convenience.

I guess we'll see. The world has NEVER been in this predicament before, not even in 1918. The world is learning as we go. I, too, will go with the "trust, but verify", that's always a sound position. But given the enormity of this pandemic, I'm OK trusting all the science that's went into this so far.

Nicely put. :thumb

My wife is retired from a state virology lab where she worked as a technician. She is not a doctor or PhD in virology, but worked in the lab and interacted with the CDC through multiple epidemics outbreaks. She has much better than normal an understanding of how a virus behaves. She is somewhat skeptical of the vaccine because of the lack of information about the long term effects. Like me, I believe she will take it when our turn comes if substantial side effects do not arise. We can only hope that five - ten years from now we are not inundated with TV commercials in which a lawyer says, "Were you or a loved one the victim of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine?'

Don't take a flu shot either, as the one time I did, it made me sick when I was healthy.

That's not how vaccines work. I'm not aware of any that are 100%. But you have your opinion. I hope you don't catch Covid.

I never had a flu shot until I was in my mid-60s and I've never had the flu. When I was 21 my 54 year old father had a flu shot and was dead three days later. He was not allergic to the vaccine and had taken it many times but that one particular vaccine triggered a reaction that lead to pernicious anemia and pneumonia. I don't think we ever got a straight answer on what happened. I successfully evaded taking a flu shot for 27 years in the Army when it was mandatory but began taking them a few years ago; so far so good. Had one a month ago, as well as the first shingles vaccine. I had shingles seven years ago. My case was very light as I had an anti-viral injection within hours of the first lesion erupting.

My wife is retired from a state virology lab where she worked as a technician. She is not a doctor or PhD in virology, but worked in the lab and interacted with the CDC through multiple epidemics outbreaks. She has much better than normal an understanding of how a virus behaves. She is somewhat skeptical of the vaccine because of the lack of information about the long term effects. Like me, I believe she will take it when our turn comes if substantial side effects do not arise. We can only hope that five - ten years from now we are not inundated with TV commercials in which a lawyer says, "Were you or a loved one the victim of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine?'

I’m hoping that I don’t have to tell my doctor that I have had a lung or kidney transplant. :eek

OM

My point is that when you only give facts that support one side of an issue by only listing viruses and/or diseases that do not have a vaccine it is not information put in context of reality when you don't offer up some of the many viruses and/or diseases that have successful vaccines. Your simply only telling half the story. Some call this error by omission.

If Ms Spicer has some background in the subject matter, that would support her claims.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Last edited:
Great. So help us out here, how do we verify in this particular instance?

Do research about the development and testing of the vaccines. Note that the Pfizer vaccine was not accelerated by operation warp speed. Discover when the research into mRNA vaccines was started in Hungary 34 years ago and what has transpired since. (Look up the name Katalin Karikó.) Read about the differences between mRNA vaccines, live virus vaccines and killed virus vaccines. Look at the simple list of 4 components of the mRNA vaccines. Decide what groups of people you think should be trusted: virologists, immunologists, Fox News opinion folks, Joe at the Hardware store, or BMW riders on this forum.

See: https://us.cnn.com/2020/12/14/opinions/covid-vaccine-marathon-not-sprint-bloom/index.html

It is true we do not have the results of long term tests. But when US residents are dying at a rate of one every 26.3 seconds as happened last Friday waiting for two or three years does not seem prudent to me. Others will certainly disagree of course.

I am 75 years old with COPD so have my own perspective. I might die of purely natural causes five years from now before some people will think we have watched for vaccine results long enough to make them happy. Some folks are simply antivaxxers and always will be.

Last edited:
Back