• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

IRON BUTT checkpoints???

From the MOA Website

How about Canada which is larger than the United States?

The IBR always includes Canada. This year the most important bonii in Leg One were in Canada. Leg Two also includes bonii in Alaska (which mandates a trip through Canada where undoubtedly there will be additional bonuses.) If you're suggesting Canada as the "base country" well that would be interesting too!

I think a good rally, spectatorship kind of thing would ad some spice to the riders suffering all those miles.

I think it would be a mixed bag. As a rider I want to get in and out of my bonus as quickly as possible. If there are a bunch of spectators expecting a moment of chitchat, or people riding their bikes in the parking area of the bonus distracting me, I'd rather not have it.

As a rallymaster I'd want to protect my riders from distractions. If I publish my bonus locations in advance, I'd also have to publish some instructions about the do's and don'ts of spectating at a bonus location. Most people would follow the guidelines, some wouldn't.

But on the plus side, yes it would be nice to see some friendly faces after facing hours and hours of solitude on the highway. And if someone wants to hand me a cold drink I'll be pleased to take it.

All that said - I'm going to a bonus location tomorrow to be a spectator. I'm following my own advice: stay the hell out of the way, hope to grab some photos, and make idle conversation with the competitors only if they initiate it.

Bonus in my back yard, too;

But, not likely to see many riders going for the "Mono Hot Springs,CA", high pointer! I live right in line with this one, at the base of the mountain. Its a ways in there and its worth the points, if time allows. Its a timely ride in there:). I actually came across an IBA rider, two years ago, doing this one on his K1200LT and I don't know if he made it. We did talk briefly, alongside the road, as he asked me where it was. I did not know at the time what he was up to, as we did not discuss his trip at all, but now I do know he was in the Iron Butt,2005. I think this one is on the "sucker" list....hmmmmm? Randy13233.....PS; Thx., Paul G for the 2009 data ideas. You did this what year on your K75, right? I remember it vaguely. Do you still have the high mile K75, as I do in my R100/7. These two bikes have similar mileages, yours and mine. I hope you still have it:). We've not met, but I heard you speaking to a fellow rider at the "oil change booth"(Wisconsin) this year, as I was busy on the ground changing my oil in my K1200LT. You were telling your tales of some past road trip(s). I'm sorry we did not get to speak, so maybe another day. Happy Trails, Randy13233:usa :thumb

Back