• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member, 1st BMW, Middle TN

redrhino

I got my first bike, a "well used" '77 Suzuki TS75, when I was 10 years old. My neighborhood was full of boys my age with bikes and we had acres and acres of undeveloped woods to build trails, jumps, berms, camp, and ride. I punished that little Suzuki dual-sport and after a year I was sitting on a brand new '78 Honda XR75. Little did we know, we were adventure riders. Not much has changed through the years...the bikes got bigger, the friends older, and the excursions farther but the spirit of adventure is even deeper.

So how did I come into possession of a BMW? I recently rode the MABDR on my KTM 790ADV R. When we reached Lawrenceville PA our group split ways to each head different directions home. I rode solo 3 days down through PA, WV, KY and back into TN. Somewhere in the back of my mind a voice said "don't you want a more street oriented adventure bike?" As the miles flew past, soon I was thinking, "if I were to get a more street oriented adventure bike...what would it be?" By the time I got home I was convinced...I NEED a new bike and the perfect bike would be a BMW GS! I reached this conclusion having only seen BMW motorcycles from afar...never ridden one, don't know anyone that owns one, never even sat on one. So, I decided to rent a 2020 R1250GS Adventure for 24 hours...don't ride a BMW if you don't want to buy a BMW. This started me down the journey of which GS is for me.

I started looking for an R1150GS (if it's good enough for Ewan and Charlie right?) and I found one in perfect condition, low miles and contacted the owner. Unfortunately for me, he decided to take the listing down...said he was too attached to the bike and couldn't part with it. 10 years of memories and adventures. What...? So the search continued until I found a '08 R1200GS Adventure in pristine condition with 20k miles (and hey, Charlie and Ewan rode one of these as well right?). I brought her home. She's red and now named the Red Rhino...something about the beak reminds me of a rhino.

I look forward to engaging and learning from the MOA community. I'm a BMW noob and have a lot to learn. Let's ride...

Attachments

• IMG_0709.jpg
    IMG_0709.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 43
Back