• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

IRON BUTT checkpoints???

Polarbear

Polarbear
How does one find out where they(checkpoints) are? If known, these would be a great riding destination to watch ridiers come and go! I want to know, so I can go watch:). I am in central CA, so lets have the good data, for us spectators. Anybody know how to get the goods? I've not done any of the events, but have many days of experience in the same kind of saddle and would enjoy the sights of riders in this event. Please help the ones of us wanting to see it up close as spectators:)Happy Trails, Randy13233. PS; also, how does one get in on the Iron Butt ride. Is it still a lottery, OR what? I would assume its limited to a number, right?

The only checkpoint this year is the host hotel in St Louis again Friday night.

The list of bonus locations won't be published until after each leg is complete.

Good coverage here of a bonus sight in Portsmouth, NH :clap
riders.jpg

Different this year?

I thought the rules had checkpoints at 4 or 5 locations, of which none could be missed or you were a non finisher. I read the bonus locations thing, but also thought hard checkpoints had to be made, too. I guess it changes a lot from event to event, yes? How about the starting place for 2009? Anybody know as yet? Thanks. :)

I thought the rules had checkpoints at 4 or 5 locations, of which none could be missed or you were a non finisher. I read the bonus locations thing, but also thought hard checkpoints had to be made, too. I guess it changes a lot from event to event, yes? How about the starting place for 2009? Anybody know as yet? Thanks. :)

That used to be the case. Things changed with the 2005 IBR which went to 2 checkpoints, and this year they slimmed it down to just the 1 checkpoint.

From what I understand, they were trying to get away from the possibility of a rider just going checkpoint to checkpoint without bonus hunting. In the post-2005 model, there is a minimum points value that needs to be met to be considered a finisher, plus of course making the mandatory checkpoint(s).

My bike is set for it:)

The bike(R100/7) is ready already and I have done endurance events in years past, but not in recent years. I still have the bike, however and its rally ready still:) I just may stay on top of this for another good ride like this one. My older R100 is equipped very special and has the right stuff, IF I do? Happy Trails, Randy13233

Soccer Hall of Fame

38 pages of directions and instructions

I notice one of the check points, Oneonta, is not far from here. Hmmm

If only one knew when riders would arrive would go and offer encouragement!

38 pages of directions and instructions

I notice one of the check points, Oneonta, is not far from here. Hmmm

If only one knew when riders would arrive would go and offer encouragement!

Those points were for leg one which is finished.

I've just read;

California surely is on the list of some riders and some have made Death Valley,YosemiteNP and San Francisco a priority. Its just not clear when they will pass these areas. I wish I new more of the bonuses as I am sure some must be near me. Anybody have the bonus data for the west yet? Randy13233

Not unless a rider shares his packet. And when they're handed out on RED paper, it's designed to be hard to copy.

The bonus list won't be posted until the riders are back in for the final check in Friday morning . . .

Voni
sMiling

Its kind a too bad, huh?

I think a good rally, spectatorship kind of thing would ad some spice to the riders suffering all those miles. I understand the need to keep these under cover somewhat, BUT? I think hard checkpoints, thrown in all over the USA would make this the best deal for what I am suggesting for spectators,etc.. I'm sure after all these years, this question has probably risen before and checkpoints have come and gone through the years. I wish for them to come back. This rally sure has run for years, now with great success's and failures to some riders and makes good reading, imo. Here's to the folks making it happen and the riders so willing to play harder than the average bear!
Me, the question arose what would I have done? I surely would never 2nd guess the kind of riders doing their thing out there, for all those miles, as they have earned my/our respect for just trying. But, I would have my ideas like every other rider and follow my nose to the areas with the most bonus points, which no doubt are spread all over in equal portions to various regions of N.America. So, that said, its a crap shoot in so many ways and a time/mileage management scenario unmatched in any rally I know. Surely one must have a firm grip on his/her ability to think under strain and know when safe has gone out the window, so to speak...I think it might be fun to get into this event and may well try for the next one. I do have the skills of time/mileage management that it requires, as a pilot and professional driver. I just hope I may get the chance to get away for some of this fun. At 55 now, I'm still a working stiff and dutifully paying my taxes, argggg. It will change, I keep saying:) Happy Trails, Randy13233

Me, the question arose what would I have done? I surely would never 2nd guess the kind of riders doing their thing out there, for all those miles, as they have earned my/our respect for just trying. But, I would have my ideas like every other rider and follow my nose to the areas with the most bonus points, which no doubt are spread all over in equal portions to various regions of N.America. So, that said, its a crap shoot in so many ways and a time/mileage management scenario unmatched in any rally I know. Surely one must have a firm grip on his/her ability to think under strain and know when safe has gone out the window, so to speak...I Happy Trails, Randy13233

I just spent 7 hours as a scorer for Leg 1 at the checkpoint in St. Louis. Abilities and circumstances sort out the "crapshoot" pretty quickly. Virtually all the top 10 rode through the horrible wet weather to Perce Rock. A handfull did reasonably well with the horrible heat going southeast but they are not in the top ten.

The bonus listing for Leg 1 is a thick packet - 38 pages with 127 bonus listings in no particular order - eg: the "first" logical bonus at the St. Louis arch was open only for the first 3 hours after the start and buried on page 20.

My Beemercentric observation is that 7 of the top 10 riders (so far) are on BMW's, compared to about 45% Beemers at the start line, and a less than 2% US market share of motorcycle sales.

I'll be scoring again at the finish. Time will tell who makes the right decisions at the right time, and has the riding abilities to carry out their plans.

Thanks!

Thanks Paul G.. The east surely got hammered, as the news has covered a lot of the rain issues back there. How does one go about finding out about the next rally, two years out? Probably too early, I understand, but at what point do the rally folks start putting together the next event? Thanks again, Randy13233:thumb

Thanks Paul G.. The east surely got hammered, as the news has covered a lot of the rain issues back there. How does one go about finding out about the next rally, two years out? Probably too early, I understand, but at what point do the rally folks start putting together the next event? Thanks again, Randy13233:thumb

Planning for 2009 started even before the start of 2007.

I'm not sure when applications are acceptable for 2009 but once the dust settles on 07 you can send an email to the IBA (linked from the website) and they can tell you how to apply.

From the MOA Website

The Iron Butt Rally is held in the United States every two years. Although they have looked into moving the rally to other countries, only Australia offers the wide-open spaces without international borders for the running of this 11 day, 11,000 mile plus marathon.

How about Canada which is larger than the United States?

Back