• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

hot legs

Knee guard removal

The black plastic strips are knee guards. If you remove them almost all the engine heat will be directed onto the rider.

BMW has a heat kit that is suppose to seal the tank and fairing sides to keep the heat from penetrating the knee guards and direct the heat through the lower fairing lovers.

These are hot bikes. August in Arkansas has been 100+ most days, it was only 98 yesterday. I can't ride mine that hot, but 100 is too hot to ride any bike comfortable, in my opinion.

Ralph Sims

The airbox eliminator worked great on my 75S and on a friends early 85 100RT.

Gilly

.I know how it ends. He gets shot down by the Red Baron, which happens to be the name of my K75, Baron Manfred von Bricktofen.:german .
By the way, if you ever get out to Sonoma Co. Ca., they've put about a hundred Snoopy's and other peanuts characters all over the place, and they're about 4' high. Charles Shultz wasn't from Sonoma Co., but it's where he called home. :usa

I appreciate all the help. With the instructions from wndsrfr I removed the lower fairing from my bike. It made all the difference. I used zipties to secure the fairing around the radiator and to pull the upper fairing towards the motor to keep it from flopping. It's worked very well, I'm going to hold off on fabbing something to permanently attach the upper fairing to the engine mount since the ziptie is holding it very snugly. If this becomes a permanent mod I'll probably make a mount out of tubing or conduit.

Tex

Anyone else have hot legs? I'm new to BMWs having had Japaneses bikes most of my life. I now own a 1985 K100RT! This bike must feel great in the winter but I'm in Savannah, GA where it's in the 90s everyday and the heat around my knees is really hot. It looks as if one of the many previous owners had mounted some type of air foil at the edge of the fairing to pull cool air back towards the knees. Is there maybe something else I can do? Or some way to block the hot air?

thanks, sam.

Check out the HOT HOT HOT post for more info.

Back