• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Handlebars and heated grips

grw

BMWNUT
I pulled the rusty chromed handlebars from my 85 K100 base model today and took them over to a chrome plating company in Portland. They are backed up and it will be at least three or four weeks before I get the bars back. Meantime the bike can't be ridden.

The heated grips had not worked since I picked the bike up from the last owner. While taking the bars off I discovered why. Neither grip was a heated grip! The switch and wiring from switch to harness was still there and one wire (to the throttle grip) was still routed through the bar to the grip. But the other wire is missing and as I mentioned someone had replaced the grips with non-heated variants.

I have a couple of questions:
  1. What style bars do the base model K100s use?
    Were there other models that used the same bar?
  2. Can anyone lend me the right style bar for a month or so?
I'd be happy to pay shipping both ways. Chrome or black OK. Would like to keep the bike on the road while waiting for the rechromed bars.

-Gary

Gary, I think the tall bars were used on the naked K100 in the US. They are the same as the base K75 ('86 K75 T, or '88 and on standard model) or the K75RT. I think the rise is something like 8 inches.

That said, you should go for a K75C handlebar, which only has a 4" rise. There used to be a factory kit with K75C bars bundled with heated grips and the appropriate bar-end weights. Maybe take a look at ibmwr.org or k11OG.org to see if they've archived a part number.

Gary, I think the tall bars were used on the naked K100 in the US. They are the same as the base K75 ('86 K75 T, or '88 and on standard model) or the K75RT. I think the rise is something like 8 inches.

That said, you should go for a K75C handlebar, which only has a 4" rise. There used to be a factory kit with K75C bars bundled with heated grips and the appropriate bar-end weights. Maybe take a look at ibmwr.org or k11OG.org to see if they've archived a part number.

Jon,

Thanks. I didn't know that the K75C had lower rise bars. I would have guessed wrong.

The K100 was originally setup with factory heated grips so the bar, bar end weights, and switch are all there. The cheapest thing to restore operation would be to buy a set of replacement grips and hope the rest of the wiring is OK (I can test it out; since the tank is off right now that should be easy).

Do you think the lower rise is more comfy? What is your reasoning on that recommendation?

I have not seen any heated grip components on eBay or IBMWR for a bit. Oddly I have not seen any handlebars for a while, either. But I'll keep looking. Worst case I will be down for the four weeks the chrome job takes.

-Gary

PS - I'll have to remember to address you as "Mr. Ambassador" from now on.

I actually like the rise of the bars (though they make you a bit of a sail on the highway). How much weight do the lower rise bars put on your wrists?

I have long arms, so I actually prefer the lowest "S" bars, but the "C" bars are a decent compromise between sportiness and comfort. With the low handlebar, you can duck out of the wind a bit at higher speed, and get rid of the sail effect that you might have with the highest bars. There's a little more load on the wrists, but not enough to cause carpal tunnel yet.

Hello,

I have handlebars from an '85 k100rt that I am not using. They are yours for the cost of shipping. Let me know if you want them.
There is a difference between the stock bars and bars that are used with the BMW electric grips. The bars I have are from my bike before I installed the BMW heated grips.

Richard Flood

Commerce, Michigan

Hello,

I have handlebars from an '85 k100rt that I am not using. They are yours for the cost of shipping. Let me know if you want them.
There is a difference between the stock bars and bars that are used with the BMW electric grips. The bars I have are from my bike before I installed the BMW heated grips.

Richard Flood

Commerce, Michigan

Richard,

Thanks very much. I will cross check the part numbers on the fiche and let you know if your RT bars will work for me.

-Gary

Hello,

Richard Flood

Commerce, Michigan

Richard,

Here's what I got from the parts fiche on the MAX BMW website:

K100 no heated grips bar 32712300086
K100 heated grips bar 32712300085
K100RT no heated grips bar 32712300086
K100RT heated grips bar 32712300085

These are all applicable to 1985 (by the way my first BMW was a 85 K100RT that I bought new).

So it looks like your bars are the same as the ones I just sent off to be chromed. Let me know what shipping will cost and I can mail you a check or PayPal you the money as you prefer.

Send me your email offlist and we can exchange address information.

Again, many thanks! The weather is getting nice and my toy is just sitting there! :)

-Gary (gary.wasserman@gmail.com)

Last edited:
I have long arms, so I actually prefer the lowest "S" bars, but the "C" bars are a decent compromise between sportiness and comfort. With the low handlebar, you can duck out of the wind a bit at higher speed, and get rid of the sail effect that you might have with the highest bars. There's a little more load on the wrists, but not enough to cause carpal tunnel yet.

Me, too. In recent years though pressure on the hands has brought on numbness and discomfort. I was able to ride back from Jamul with the high bars (apparently the same bars used on the RT) and while wind was a problem I have to acknowledge that my hands and arms were happy for the most part.

All I used was a Throttlerocker (turns out there was a throttle lock screw installed which I was unaware of) and an occasional stretch break. I did find myself reaching for the R12's cruise control switch a few times (apparently I'm not psychokinetic after all since nothing happened).

One of the things that happened the last year or so of riding the R1100RS (1999) was increasing discomfort from the riding position. It was great when I got the bike but as the years went by it no longer worked for me.

-Gary

Back