• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2023 F750GS issues

dfisher1

I have been riding for 65 years, rode to and in 49 states, have averaged 23,000 miles per year….
Originally I rode Harleys. have owned 37 of them… Then I started buying BMW bikes, have owned several of them,
K bikes, RT’s, a 1250 GS low suspension, then back to a 1250RT… The last RT I had was a 2022 R1250RT, of the 53 motorcycles I have owned,
the RT was my favorite.. I am now 81 years old, still have the same passion for riding as always….

In March of this year I had some major health issues, so sadly, I sold the 2022 RT back to the Dealer, not knowing at the time if I would be able to ride again…
Hindsight is a great thing, so I wish I never would have sold the RT….

I was thinking I should try a lighter weight bike, so two weeks ago I bought a 2023 F750GS, standard suspension, I bought the BMW low seat….
I now only have 199 miles on the bike… I added an 18’ Madstad windscreen…..

I just got home from a short 77 mile ride. The heat pouring on my legs the entire time. At 60 mile an hour and above a lot of vibration in the handle bars and grips. Just like riding a Harley.
77 miles on this bike and at 60 to 65 mph feels like 477 miles on the RT !!!!! Then to top off my day, the odometer showed 87 miles remaining on the tank, so I stopped and got gas for the first time. I left the bike in low gear, filled the tank with 93 octane. Got back on the bike put the kickstand up, pulled in the clutch, turned on the ignition, and the bike would not start. Would not fire, just sat there and spun the starter… I tried it several times, the same result. I rolled it into the shade, waited for 20 minutes, then tried again, and it started. I am very particular, so I know if the issues persist, the bike is gone for something better. I want a bike for enjoyment, not aggravation.

Have you experienced any of these issue ???? A lot of heat on my legs, the constant vibration in the handlebars and grips, and now the starting issue…. it is like riding a Harley again !!!!!
I really appreciate your opinions, and any recommendations on what I can do ???

I have been riding for 65 years, rode to and in 49 states, have averaged 23,000 miles per year….
Originally I rode Harleys. have owned 37 of them… Then I started buying BMW bikes, have owned several of them,
K bikes, RT’s, a 1250 GS low suspension, then back to a 1250RT… The last RT I had was a 2022 R1250RT, of the 53 motorcycles I have owned,
the RT was my favorite.. I am now 81 years old, still have the same passion for riding as always….

In March of this year I had some major health issues, so sadly, I sold the 2022 RT back to the Dealer, not knowing at the time if I would be able to ride again…
Hindsight is a great thing, so I wish I never would have sold the RT….

I was thinking I should try a lighter weight bike, so two weeks ago I bought a 2023 F750GS, standard suspension, I bought the BMW low seat….
I now only have 199 miles on the bike… I added an 18’ Madstad windscreen…..

I just got home from a short 77 mile ride. The heat pouring on my legs the entire time. At 60 mile an hour and above a lot of vibration in the handle bars and grips. Just like riding a Harley.
77 miles on this bike and at 60 to 65 mph feels like 477 miles on the RT !!!!! Then to top off my day, the odometer showed 87 miles remaining on the tank, so I stopped and got gas for the first time. I left the bike in low gear, filled the tank with 93 octane. Got back on the bike put the kickstand up, pulled in the clutch, turned on the ignition, and the bike would not start. Would not fire, just sat there and spun the starter… I tried it several times, the same result. I rolled it into the shade, waited for 20 minutes, then tried again, and it started. I am very particular, so I know if the issues persist, the bike is gone for something better. I want a bike for enjoyment, not aggravation.

Have you experienced any of these issue ???? A lot of heat on my legs, the constant vibration in the handlebars and grips, and now the starting issue…. it is like riding a Harley again !!!!!
I really appreciate your opinions, and any recommendations on what I can do ???

I have owned three F750GS models and two F850's, one a GS and other a GSA. I had a Madstad on each one (20") and Vario bags with Sargent seats. Never had what you describe. All of them made excessive tire noise for first couple thousand miles. The F850GS had too long a side stand, which BMW replaced. Other than that they were pleasant bikes. In fact, I thought they were very smooth given their parallel twin design, even at higher RPM. Never noticed a heat issue from day one, which was a 100 mile mixed city, two lane highway ride home from dealer. You should be pulling into your dealers lot about now, having them checking out what you describe as vibrations and heat, which is opposite my multi model experience. Of course, I'm only 75 and being the young whipper snapper I am, perhaps I'm to limber, athletic and youthfully unaware to notice these bikes' shortcomings. ;);) I currently am breaking in a Triumph 900 GT Pro, which is my 90th or so motorcycle...I do believe the F750GS to be a good model. And remember it is August...not sure where you live however, over half the nation is under an excessive heat warning right now.

Last edited:
Motodan

Thanks for your reply… I live in West Central Ohio, so probably not far from you…..
I have advised the Dealer of the issues - his suggestion is to wait until the 600 mile service and tell Service Dept about it !!! Never a fan of “waiting” !!!!

Thanks for your reply… I live in West Central Ohio, so probably not far from you…..
I have advised the Dealer of the issues - his suggestion is to wait until the 600 mile service and tell Service Dept about it !!! Never a fan of “waiting” !!!!

If there is an issue, it would be good to relay the conditions to the dealer. A couple of hundred miles on the bike doesn’t give much information.
If the Rider Display showed 77 miles left, was the low fuel triangle on? Based on published tank volume, how much gas did you put in?
Sorta sounds like you are disappointed with the bike without really giving it a chance. If that’s the case,
“I am very particular, so I know if the issues persist, the bike is gone for something better. I want a bike for enjoyment, not aggravation”
- you know what you need to do.

OM

My initial impressions were similar when I purchased my 750 but the issues you describe mostly went away after about 1500 miles. The vibrations were much improved after the first oil change and continued to improve over the next 500 miles or so. The tires were also very noisy for about the first 1500 miles with a whine around 45 mph. In my experience, it seems this bike really needs well over 1000 miles for full break-in.

I have also experienced the hesitation to start after refueling and just attributed it to maybe a little water was in the fuel I had purchased since I was in a rural area buying 93 octane gas that likely had been in around for a while. I have since made it a point to get 87 when in rural areas with the hopes that it gets better turnover at the station and less likely to have water.

I'd give it a chance to break-in for at least 1500 miles before making an issue of it because I think you'll find it greatly improves with some mileage.

Omega Man and rider-b

Thanks for the replies..... I am going to bite the bullet and take both of your advice and ride it for awhile and get 1,000 to 1,500 miles on it before I decide...if I don't continue to have the starting issue !!!!! I really hope conditions improve....
I did report the issues to the Dealer, he is the one that told me to wait until the 600 mile service and tell the Service Dept....
When I get some miles on it, I will post an update.....
Super humid here today, dew point is 78 and temperature 81, feels like 91....and it is only 10:28am...suppose to improve over the weekend and next week....I will try to get some more
miles on then.....
Thanks again both of you for your info !!!!!!

F750 engine heat

I've got a '23 F750GS with about 900 miles on it (my first BMW) and I'm feeling a lot of engine heat, especially on my left leg. It's not an endearing trait. I'm attributing some of it to it being high summer in the northeast and the mesh riding pants I'm wearing. My previous bike (Yamaha FJ09) would blow hot air onto my right foot in stop-and-go traffic, but I never noticed it any other time.

Heat yes, starting no

I have 1,700 miles on mine now, and the heat from the left side is definitely noticeable and downright objectionable on long rides in hot temps. I have never had an issue with the starting problems. My previous bike was an '07 K1200GT, so coming from that to the F750GS, I did notice some vibration, but no more than you would expect from a parallel twin. My owner's manual says the recommended fuel is Regular, unleaded (max 15% ethanol, E15)

I have a 2023 F750 GS and it has a strange issue with the clutch whereby it sticks when pulling in for down changes and releases with a big click and the clutch feels abnormally heavy

Back