• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Got pulled over by a LEO...

535is, Don't even go there.

Us Canucks may all seem to be meek and mild, but don't get our dander up. Maybe we will change our laws so that when any out of country people get pulled over they will be automatically put in custody and forced to eat 20 pounds of Poutine drowned in maple syrup. That will raise your chloresterol rating so high you will immediately have to enter into our health care system. One way or another, we will get back at you. :dance

535is, Don't even go there.

Us Canucks may all seem to be meek and mild, but don't get our dander up. Maybe we will change our laws so that when any out of country people get pulled over they will be automatically put in custody and forced to eat 20 pounds of Poutine drowned in maple syrup. That will raise your chloresterol rating so high you will immediately have to enter into our health care system. One way or another, we will get back at you. :dance
Well, I come in disguise. My bike is calibrated in kilometres, so you wouldn't know ... and I'm from Wisconsin, so I know how to speak Ontario-dialect Canadian, eh? :ca

Come on out West, we can spot a furiner a long way off. From living in Wisconson, you may have built up some immunity to the cheese curds in the poutine but out West we always hear the furiners talking about the B.C. Bud.

My encounter with AR "task force" -- crossposted from the south

So I am in the near the end of a 400 mile ride from my place in Kansas City to where my girlfriend is stationed in Little Rock AR. My favorite way to ride is to go through springfield, MO to Branson. From Branson to Little Rock AR is some of the pretty wooded hills, with some nicer twisties, cooler temps, and supposed 55 to 65 MPH speed limits. While I dont consider myself a speed freak, the bike (12RT) just loves to run nicely at about 10-20 over most speed limits.
As I start getting closer to conway AR, the urban area starts picking up with sporadic smaller towns separated by 10 mile legs of open road. On one of these roads I see a white dodge charger PO with a guy pulled over on the other side.... dont take notice of the type of PO, but knowing that they usually roll backup in smaller towns, i slow to speed limit so I dont get popped by his fellow PO. Sure enough, along comes another white charger with the light bar going past. I feel good about my self for recognizing and defeating the 'threat' and twist the bike back up to around 70 (in a 55).

I am in the right hand land, and honestly, am not the fastest traffic on the road... all of a sudden in my mirrors, I see flashing blue lights on what appears to be some sort of SUV, from the left lane coming to over take me. I figure something is going on, but given the lane they are in, they arent after speeders. I pull over to the side and rapidly stop like a dutiful citizen should, at the rate a BMW bike can. The cop goes flying past me, and then pulls into a convenience store parking lot about 1/3 of a mile ahead. I wait for a second, but then all the traffic ahead and behind me pulls out to the road and drives on, and so do I. As I pass the cop, I look at whats going on.. Im thinking there is an issue at the liquor store. Not seeing anything to terribly exciting, I resume highway speeds.

About 3 minutes later, here comes the blue lighted SUV again.. again in the left lane while I am now at 65 (in a 55, though I thought it a 65) in the right lane. Again I pull over and come to a rapid stop. Again, the cop goes flying past me.. this time I am fully stopped and turn the bike off to watch what I think is the show. The cop pulls around, floors it, goes past me and does another U turn.. finally pulling in behind me. It is at this point I figure out its me the cop wanted to pull over. I am over on the side of the road enough, but the cop isnt, and we are on the downside of a big hill. I get off the bike and stand off the side of the road by about 10 feet. I dont want the cop vehicle getting hit and then plowing into me.

At this time the cop gets out, about 23 year old blonde girl with a strong southern accent. I ask, "have you been trying to pull me over?" as I remove my glasses and helmet. She doesnt respond, but instead creeps toward me with her hand close to her sidearm, and talking into her mic about my bike. Finally I ask was she trying to pull me over back there the first time when she went past, and she responds, "you mean when you almost wrecked you bike going over that curb?" I respond, "I at no time lost any control of my vehicle and I never went over any curb... only pulled over to the side of the road and stopped like I was taught to when and emergency vehicle approached from behind." She responded, "well didnt say you lost control of your vehicle, but you were clearly speeding." I said, " ok then, not sure I was, but allow me to get my information for you." After producing my ID/ins/registration, I explained that I had seen the other two POs and though she was conducting other police business in conjunction with them, since she was going much fast than me and in the other lane. At this point she told me that she didnt know those local cops, and she was with the AR task force (drunk driving? speeding? who knows). She then lectured me on my evasive tactic of excessive braking that she couldnt keep up with. I told her that she was never in the lane behind me with her lights on, how was I supposed to know she was trying to pull me over. I came to a quick stop only on the side of the orad, and with no traffic behind me. The whole time I was remain polite, calm, and cooperative. At this point she asked if I had any weapons and after telling her no, she told me she would be right back.

At this point I am thinking my goose is cooked... I was speeding, she was confused and accusatory as to how I handled my bike, and evidently she thought I was trying to evade her. Well she comes out with my info after a couple minutes and proceeds to tell me "as you can see I have to ticketbook; but I did have you doing 72 in a 55." Like and idiot I question as to whether she has Radar or video of this, and she says she has both. I realize she is going to let me go with a warning and a misunderstanding! I quickly apologize for being fast, and any actions I committed that lead to confusion, I was merely trying to be a good citizen and get out of the way.

From this instance I learned a couple things (some are assumptions / beliefs based on the incident).

The BMW can come to a safe stop pretty dang fast.
If a cop goes flying past, give them a couple potatoes to see what they do, even if the cages around you begin driving.
If dont think you did anything wrong stick to your guns, but remain polite, calm, and cooperative, and respectful.
I really think that what you ride and wear matters. I was ATGATT with my 'stich, etc. on. When she made comment about how fast my bike could stop, I took the polite opportunity to explain that I was trained in quick safe stops through the experienced MSF course, and that a BMW bike was not a crotch rocket to do dumb things on but a high performance machine with safety in mind and ABS. She remarked she had never seen one before.

All in all it was an interesting experience... one that could have been avoided if I wasnt a lead foot, but was for the most part avoided by some luck, some courtesy by me, and some leniency by the PO.

My next assignment is to Germany... hopefully I dont have these problems on the autobahn

B-1
1985 Rockwell International B-1B

I'm 20 years old and have been pulled over while driving or riding 10 times.... I'm sure I've been pulled over for many reasons, some legit, some not so much. Crappy car in a nice neighborhood, having multicultural friends (and family.... I'm one of 7 kids, 5 adopted) in the car in a 99% white neighborhood, Wisconsin plates in Illinois, IL plates in Wisconsin, too many people in the car, "child endangerment" (and that was by 3 police cars and a police boat), speeding and more. Some of those situations were misunderstandings, others possibly profiling, and still some of the time I was doing something wrong.

Of the ten, I've only received one ticket, clocked at 30 over, written at 24 over, and then reduced in court further. When I was 16 I read a book titled "A Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets." It wasn't really about how to speed successfully, but how to interact with officers and make them comfortable. They are people too, and every traffic stop comes with danger for them. If you have nothing major to hide, you're scared of a minor traffic ticket. They are worried about a possible life or death situation.

And yeah, I hate it when they do safety checks, but I also hate paying for license plates... it comes with the territory. You are on the road, you play by the rules.

As the OP, what do you say?

Well, first I was born and raised in Washington state but moved to BC Canada in 1970. I now enjoy citizenship in both countries.

I think shire2000, post # 52, another Canadian, accurately reflects my views. But there is more to say.

I too am concerned about erosion of our privacy and other matters. (Call me a not very political person with leftist leanings.)

When it comes to the LEO's checking bikes one day on a major highway, I have to say I am all for it, of course because I have the appropriate license, insurance and registration. (There were a couple bikes pulled over before me which were not leaving.) Have no idea what the problem was, but I would like stolen bikes or un-licensed riders off the road.

I also have no idea if on another day they would target cars and still another day minivans and SUV's and maybe another day 18 wheelers. But I like the idea, even if it costs the innocents 10 minutes to their destination. It sure beats ticketing people for non-dangerous speed violations.

I got pulled over on a very scenic (35 mph speed limit) local road doing about 50. This is a very popular road for bicyclists, joggers, motorcyclists, fishermen, and as it follows a local river, there are often canoe livery vans. The officer asked me why I was going so fast and I told him "it's a beautiful day, the bike (1979 r-80) is running really well, and for once, there's only me & you out here." I got off with just a warning. :)

On patrol one beautiful day....whistling a tune....radio's quiet....not much going on. I come up on three bikers....riding chopped up Harleys (cool lookings ones too)....no big thing....except the last bikers' brake light is out. OK....I initiate a traffic stop....with the intent of just telling the rider about his break light, that's all....I don't ticket that since most people are unaware that they have a break light out. As I'm exiting my vehicle, I overheard them talking and I hear the phrase "fu!@#$% pig" (where have I heard that?) in their conversation as they're watching me in their rear view mirror.

I ticket the guy with the brake light out for unsafe vehicle, arrest the second guy for an outstanding warrant and tow the third guys' bike for an altered VIN number.

Moral of the story:

Atttitude, attitude, attitude

:twirl

Last edited:
I was headed up to Buffalo in my work truck, from PA to help my brother, when I was stopped for speeding by a NY Trooper. I knew I was over the limit, stopped right away, kept my hands in sight (on the wheel) and when asked for license and registration, told the officer my license is in my back pocket and the registration is in the glove box. He thanked me for describing what I was doing, and took my paperwork. He did a check, let me know I was 13 over the posted limit, but was letting me go beacuse I had a clean record. That was my first stop in 20? years. I knew I was in the wrong, was courtious and respectful and got away with a warning while out of my home state. Most of these guys really are out there to "protect and serve", so until they prove they are @$!holes, I treat them with respect. I sure wouldn't want their job, and I appreciate the fact that they never know who they are about to confront when making that stop. I was a pretty day, a straight stretch of road, ad had I been on the "S", I would have been WAYYYYYYY over 13 past the limit! Glad I was in the truck..............

I was headed up to Buffalo in my work truck, from PA to help my brother, when I was stopped for speeding by a NY Trooper. I knew I was over the limit, stopped right away, kept my hands in sight (on the wheel) and when asked for license and registration, told the officer my license is in my back pocket and the registration is in the glove box. He thanked me for describing what I was doing, and took my paperwork. He did a check, let me know I was 13 over the posted limit, but was letting me go beacuse I had a clean record.

If you were in TexSux you still would've got the ticket. I'm so glad that I don't live there anymore.

I scanned through this thread to see if BCKRIDER was going to add anything, like maybe this happened to him south of the border here in Washington state. I'll say that I was surprised to read that it did occur up north. WaStatePolice are doing regular stops of m/c now to check that helmets are DOT besides checking for the M endorsement on our drivers license. We also have the joy of being stopped and questioned by the Border Patrol. The guys working the border crossing are pretty regular guys, but I guess the must send the buttheads out to close down the highways with the roving checkpoints in the name of national security.

Leo: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Me: "Because you can?
Leo: "Step off the bike please"

It went down hill from there...since I had nothing to write up(that would hold up in court anyway) .... it turned into a scolding....

Smart Ass born every minute!

Initiated a traffic stop....walked up to the driver....said my usual greeting "Good morning" (afternoon or evening)....the driver, with a sheepish half-smile replies "that depends"....I laughed....gave him a warning and let him go.

After that, changed my traffic stop greeting to "Hey SMARTASS"! (just kidding ) :rocker

I did change my standard stop greeting to just plain "Howdy". :D

And on those special occassions............."DRIVER....PUT YOUR HANDS ON THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD AND INTERLACE YOU FINGERS....:nra

Last edited:
Initiated a traffic stop....walked up to the driver....saw he had a joint wedged up his ear (a joint is a marijuana cigarette for you straight beemer folks)....I didn't say anything.... just sternly stared at him....he's looking up at me wondering what's going on....then he realizes he has that thing perched up his ear that's screaming "HEYYYY, LOOK AT ME"....he quickly grabs it as if I hadn't noticed and at the same time mutters "oh noooo"....I give him a choice....eat the joint or go to jail (can't really take him to jail for less than an ounce, all I can do is ticket him for it but he doesn't know that :evil)....he pops it in him mouth and starts chomping away....I forgot to tell him that it'll make him sicker than a dog...oh well....I ticket him for the initial traffic violation....he goes his merry way....

Beautiful day, wish I was on the bike....:whistle

Heading home late from work the other day. Actually, I was trying to get to our little town to meet the family for dinner before we all continued into the sticks and home.

Speedometer indicated about 80 (actual in the low or mid 70s by rough observation and calcs), been working my way through traffic a little bit. Not buzzing by anyone, but having to put on an occasional burst to get by a few drivers who had aversions to using the right lane.

It was getting dark, to the point that all I could make out was headlights and the general shape or type of vehicle in my mirrors. Looking back every few seconds, I spot a set of lights emerging from the last herd of cages that I had shortly before escaped, so I move over to the right lane in anticipation of him passing.

But does he pass? No, he just kind of hangs out in that spot to the side and just a little back where one or the other headlight always seems to be perfectly framed in the mirror. Aw c'mon, either go or get off my tail. So I back off to an indicated 75, and he begins to just inch forward a little.

As his front bumper comes up next to me, I glance over and see the push bars, followed by the black hood and fender, then the white door and light bar. Oh sssshhhhooot!

So I back off to an indicated 65, look back up and vaguely see a dark shadow wave at me, then he went by and gave me a quick flash of the yellows on his light bar before continuing on to get a car a little farther ahead.

I bet the RT and ATGATT didn't hurt either.

Note from Mod Squad ...

Speaking one's mind is encouraged as long as

Name Calling & Politics are avoided and Civility is maintained.

Back