• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First Aid Kits

robsryder

Motorcycleton
Earlier today I had a worker at my house installing some heat trace on water lines to the garage.

While installing the heat trace he cut his hand with a utility knife. Fortunately I had a new first-aid kit nearby in the basement. I had him wash the cut area thoroughly. I then applied some anti-bacterial ointment and affixed a gauze pad, secured with some medical tape in the first-aid kit. That got him temporarily fixed up - he needs to replace the bandage periodically while the cut is healing; maybe even get a stitch or two if the wound keeps bleeding. [I have heard that Super Glue is useful for sealing cuts, but I am not certain that this is a sound medical practice - I have always gotten stitches for larger cuts, bandages for smaller cuts.]

Then during lunch I was looking at the recent MOA Owner's News and saw the 2-page spread about motorcycle first-aid kits.

I have had a first-aid kit for the motorcycles for more than 30 years. I carry this kit with me on trips. Once in a while I get some Ibuprofen tablets or a band-aid from this kit. But much of the rest of the stuff is over 30 years old. I decided to take a look at the rest of the contents and it was obvious that many items were past due for replacement. I went onto the 'zon and found some options for refill supplies for first-aid kits. It seems that checking my motorcycle first-aid kit's readiness needs to be added to my list of pre-riding season activities.

[I have heard that Super Glue is useful for sealing cuts, but I am not certain that this is a sound medical practice - I have always gotten stitches for larger cuts, bandages for smaller cuts.]

Medical grade super glue was widely used to close traumatic wounds during the war in Viet Nam. Even our Air Force medics at stateside radar sites had some on hand. I witnessed its use once when a drunk driver needed part of his nose stabilized prior to transport after an adventure with a car, a ditch and a power pole. That was a bit before the stuff started showing up in hardware stores. I do think its use for medical purposes needs some training.

Last edited:
Yeah Super Glue works. I carry a decent first aid kit o the bike and am working on being more diligent to swap out old stuff in there and keep it current. Taking a first aid course is highly recommended.

Medical grade super glue was widely used to close traumatic wounds during the war in Viet Nam. Even our Air Force medics at stateside radar sites had some o n hand. I witnessed its use once when a drunk driver needed part of his nose stabilized prior to transport after an adventure with a car, a ditch and a powerpole. That was a bit before the stuff started showing up in hardware stores. I do think its use for medical purposes needs some training.

The only thing I have ever had luck with superglue being effective on is skin. I use it regularly for cold weather/dry skin cracks on hands and fingers.

OM

Well, I mentioned Super Glue because my experience with it was not great for use as an adhesive for items that I wanted to repair. I was able in many instances to stick my fingers together.

Meanwhile I am waiting for the First Aid replenishment supplies to arrive. I also need to toss the old Ibuprofen, Benadryl, and Vitamin C tablets and re-new those. A new tube of Anti-biotic ointment, some assorted sizes of gauze pads, fresh medical tape, and other items will go in my motorcycle First Aid kit. Hopefully, it will not be needed (much). [It seems that I frequently need a small band-aid for a little scratch, cut, or blister while on a trip. And a tablet of Ibuprofen and a Benadryl can make night-time sleep come a bit easier. Every day a Vitamin C for "good luck".]

I carry a first aid kit on my motorcycle, with the focus on being able to stop the bleed. Sure, being able to patch up small cuts and scrapes is a good thing, and I carry the right stuff for it. But if one of the riders in my group (or myself!) suffers a traumatic injury, I want to be able to stop the patient from bleeding out. Several medium and large pads, Israeli bandage, tourniquet, and the training to use them.

Probably the best thing to include in your kit is to be current with your first aid and CPR training. I used my EMT training as much or more on bike travels as I did working as an EMT in the fire service.

Also, carrying something for first responders that identifies you, emergency contact info, your blood type and any medical concerns in case you’re injured and can’t communicate with them. Some folks wear this on a tag around their neck or on a wrist band.

See that sticker mid left? Leftovers from rally racing, they were on my helmet too. I should probably get some more printed for me other bikes and helmets.
IMG_5309-XL.jpg

Rally bikes
IMG_0624-XL.jpg

You can see where it is on the helmet.
P8160255-XL.jpg

I too need to add a few drugs such as ibuprofen etc to my first aid kit. There was a good article in Overland Journal on that topic.

I carry two. My First Aid Kit is stowed in my pannier and contains meds, forceps, and general stuff for minor booboos. In plain view in front of my top case is my Oh **** Kit. It contains only items I’m familiar with and have used to treat trauma in crashes or military mishaps. Personally when dealing with a significant injury I find wading through those ready-made 150 item kits a waste of precious time

I rotate the contents annually and use the old stuff to practice bandaging my wife and dogs. Doing so on Halloween serves two purposes.

Pete

Back