• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Another New Member, Old Owner

My first motorcycle was a 1967 R60/2, which I bought new from a long-gone motorcycle shop in Wilmington, DE, where I also met a guy who had bought the identical bike, only 11 serial numbers from mine. We became good friends, making bike trips with our girl friends, first to Montreal, then to Key West, FL. One day my buddy Ted borrowed my old Beetle to go pick up some bike parts. On his trip, he swerved to avoid a dog, rolled the car and was killed. Being a pallbearer at his funeral was one of those really anguished moments in my life. Since he totaled my car, his parents gave me his motorcycle, assuming I would sell it to buy a car.

I wanted more power than my R60, but in 1969, there were no Japanese superbikes, and Harley, Triumph and BSA weren't nearly as good as they are today. While working in the service department of a VW dealer, I had the idea that a Beetle engine would almost fit in a BMW bike -- same engine architecture and same crankshaft rotation. I decided to begin this wacky conversion project with Ted's bike, and continue riding mine. I cut, spread and rewelded the frame, also fabricating an adapter plate. To make a very long engineering story short, the bike was (and still is) wonderful -- really smooth and very strong.

My girl friend at the time had learned to ride my stock R60, so she asked to buy it. I agreed, and for decades, I regretted letting it go. I lost track of the girl, who moved overseas and left the bike here. Fast forward, my 32-year-old son Tim found the bike and tried to buy it a number of times. Earlier this year, the owner agreed to sell, so Tim rented a trailer, got five friends to help him winch out of a dank basement, and he surprised me with it one evening! I was blown away, but the R60 was in bad shape -- a rusty frame, and the engine was missing a cylinder and head.

I've spent the past few months joyfully restoring my original R60 -- stripping the frame, getting it powder-coated, replacing all its bearings and seals as well as rebuilding the engine and transmission. It'll be on the road in the next month or two. I still own the VW-powered machine, and I'll post photos of both bikes in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
What an awesome story! You should write it up for the BMW Owners News!

Welcome here, I look forward to hearing more about your restoration project.

I should have never sold my R69S, either.

Ian

Greetings Fred in PA!

That certainly is an interesting set of facts and historical nuggets. I’m still riding my first BMW bought from Glen Burnie Cycles, a ’75 R90S. It could do with some renewing, but I’m just too busy playing Pickleball and leading fellow AlaBeemers on Rides-2-Eat. Next month’s 2nd Sat ride to Cooter Brown’s Rib Shack in Jacksonville [AL]... :eat

Enjoy the rest of your summer on any 2-wheeler you’ve currently got parked out back... :thumb

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
USAF-Ret'd — & — USN-Ret’d

'75 R90S ————— '82 R100CS
’09 KLX250S ——— ’08 CRF230L
'14 K-GT ————— '16 R1200RS
’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

Back