• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

End of an Era?

Just read a rumor on the R1200R.org website that BMW is discontinuing the R1200R because once the farkle is added, the cost is too close to an RT, and sales are declining. Anyone here hear that rumor?
Greg,

I've been a member on that forum for a number of years.. and can't recall hearing that rumor there. Do you have a link? Just curious who posted it..

All I can tell you is that the literature being distributed to dealers does not include a 2010 Roadster.

Funny, I own a 2010 R1200R. Didn't check any literature around the dealership though, just told 'em what I wanted and they ordered it.

to be honest, the roadster has always been the red headed stepchild of the lineup.

hey, who knows? maybe they'll stick the hot engine in it and announce it later. beats me. i just don't think it makes sense, especially since you can get lowered RTs and GSs (suspension and seats).

I know the roadster fans love their bikes. But look on the bright side...if the model is dropped from the '10 lineup, that's likely to prop up R resale prices. :)

Hell, try being a fan of the R1200ST!:cry

Jim :brow

According to my dealer the 2010 Roadster production run is done and they are in the warehouse or shipping (saw her look it up on the computer). Which makes sense. My 09 was built in September 08, and given the small number, their is only one run.

Given the other two boxers have Cam Heads and the R12R is in it's 4th year of production, I expect it is time for a change. Rather that will be an upgrade or discontinuation, only BMW knows.

Scott

Last edited:
The RT/GS does not have the HP2 motor...

HP2 Engine:
Horsepower (bhp/kW) 130 / 97
Horsepower RPM 8750
Torque (Ft Lbs/Nm) 85 / 115
Torque RPM 6000

2010 R1200RT Engine:
Horsepower (bhp/kW) 110 / 82.1
Horsepower RPM 7750
Torque (Ft Lbs/Nm) 88 / 119.3
Torque RPM 6000

Double over head cams; yes.

The HP2 Sport has 133 BHP @ 8750.
HP2 has 113 BHP @ 7500
R12RT Has 110 BHP @ 7750.
All BMW Specs.

Traditionally the Roadster has been the last to get a engine upgrade, normally a year behind the other models.

That would be my guess since it was originally the last new bike in the Hex series. There was a gap from 2004 to 2007 the last time

Skip a year or two and come out with a new and improved Roadster in 2012...along with the new LT...there's another internet rumor for y'all!

I love riding and looking at the bare Roadster for all the reasons mentioned...My GS is as close to that feeling, just not quite as nimble or light. If I strip the cases off...it's a big Roadster...almost. When I ride my brother in laws '07 R...it seems very sporty in contrast. I just don't see it out of the lineup.

Heck, I also take our other R's in places I would not have before after seeing ChiTowns posts when he first got his 12R and rode everywhere and after riding the GS's.

I sold my 05 RT cause it felt like the family sedan...comfortable and quiet ( not that there is anything wrong with that)...but just not near as fun as the R's, the S , GS..and that K12S.

Another opinion...I could be right!:laugh:laugh

Last edited:
Greg,

I've been a member on that forum for a number of years.. and can't recall hearing that rumor there. Do you have a link? Just curious who posted it..

Don, I have only been on the site for a short while, and was surprised at the post. Not sure how to put a link, since the http only indicates R1200R.org when that post is viewed, but I will try: http://www.r1200r.org/The poster is RICKMBMW and the post is dated Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:39 pm. The entire post reads:

R1200R Being Discontinued?

Postby rickmbmw ?? Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:39 pm
I spoke to David, the owner of Bloodworth BMW in Nashville, TN yesterday. He told me that the R1200R will be discontinued after 2010 because, after you start adding accessories, it's too close in price to the RT and the sales numbers have declined. I certainly hope this is not true. Has anyone else heard this?

Rick
Rick
2002 BMW R1150R
KTM 525 SMR
Exile Bulldozer Chopper

Don, I have only been on the site for a short while, and was surprised at the post. Not sure how to put a link, since the http only indicates R1200R.org when that post is viewed, but I will try: http://www.r1200r.org/The poster is RICKMBMW and the post is dated Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:39 pm. The entire post reads:
You can copy a link by clicking on the address bar in your browser, then using CTRL/V to copy it. You can then paste it on this forum in a message using CTRL/C.
R1200R Being Discontinued?

Postby rickmbmw ?? Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:39 pm
I spoke to David, the owner of Bloodworth BMW in Nashville, TN yesterday. He told me that the R1200R will be discontinued after 2010 because, after you start adding accessories, it's too close in price to the RT and the sales numbers have declined. I certainly hope this is not true. Has anyone else heard this?

Rick
Interesting. I'll have to search by his user name. Wonder what bike the dealer was trying to sell Rick? From what my dealer told me - at least his sales numbers have gone up on the R12R (and judging by the number of new owners here and on the R1150R.net [R1200R subforum] I'd guess sales overall on it are up.) BMW has always done a really crappy job in advertising/pushing it. It hasn't been on the demo bike truck at two national rallies, and they haven't run an ad for it since it was initially introduced in any magazine I read. And if the price of the two are that close - either the RT is a great buy, or they're overpricing the R12R.. (since the RT does have a much more expensive fairing setup..)

I just got an '08 with 2k miles on it Friday, and love that bike. Light, plenty of power, handles very nicely. With all the responses, you seem to be closest to my thoughts, that someone was trying to sell the guy something else.

Greg

BTW - If the http address is only R1200R.org, would including the hyperlink do any good?

Wow! I hope this isn't true since I just ordered one three weeks ago. :banghead

The RT/GS does not have the HP2 motor...

HP2 Engine:
Horsepower (bhp/kW) 130 / 97
Horsepower RPM 8750
Torque (Ft Lbs/Nm) 85 / 115
Torque RPM 6000

2010 R1200RT Engine:
Horsepower (bhp/kW) 110 / 82.1
Horsepower RPM 7750
Torque (Ft Lbs/Nm) 88 / 119.3
Torque RPM 6000

Double over head cams; yes.

When the HP2 Sport came out the engine defined the performance peak of the new cam head at the time. That peak will undoubtedly grow over the years but will stay in a sport type bike. The key thing for other models was the development of the engine in the first place not the performance specs.

The camhead engine allows for the R series to deal with a number of regulatory issues with Euro iv (or what ever it is called - brain cramp) that MC builders are facing in the near future. In Europe MC builders are facing the potential from law makers and insurance companies that want to go back to the 100hp cap for street bikes. Under that cap bikes that exceeded that limit paid a big price in license fees, taxes and insurance. The camhead in the GS and the RT is in line with previous version hp and does not start a hp war that will only p.o. Euro regulators.

We need to keep in mind that not every market gets every bike that is in the BMW lineup. When the R1150R came out there was the R850R. IIRC it may have made a one year appearance here. It plugged on for years in Ireland and the UK and sold well for a Roadster in those markets. Japan got its own version of the R1150R with special seats and colors that were not available anywhere else.

Okay, first off thanks to everyone for making me neurotic about this issue. I sent a panicked email to my dealership about my pending order. My dealer stated that BMW has acknowledged receipt of my order, but had no production date info yet. He also asid he'd be surprised if they were discontinuing the R12R since it was one of their better-selling models (not sure about the accuracy of that last one, but it's what he said).

I'll be happier, of course, when it's in my possession and I'm riding it around Texas Hill Country.

My dealer stated that BMW has acknowledged receipt of my order, but had no production date info yet.
That was the first step when I ordered mine last fall. If BMW had already built out 2010 production it doesn't seem like they would have accepted the order. Don't be bashful about asking for updates, and please keep us posted.

Discontinuing R1200R

I certainly hope they are not discontinuing the R1200R. I just traded in my 2005 RT for a 2009 model R1200R.

I guess you will still be obtain to obtain parts for the R1200R. I had the R1200C cruiser and they discontinued that, but parts were still available. I imagine they would have a stockpile of parts.

After all, they still have parts for the old Airhead models and they have been out of production for what, 30 years?

I certainly hope they are not discontinuing the R1200R. I just traded in my 2005 RT for a 2009 model R1200R.

I guess you will still be obtain to obtain parts for the R1200R. I had the R1200C cruiser and they discontinued that, but parts were still available. I imagine they would have a stockpile of parts.

After all, they still have parts for the old Airhead models and they have been out of production for what, 30 years?

BMW still sells parts for the /3 bikes, which they stopped building in 1955. I bought a new rear fender for my 1953 R51/3 from BMW. Try that with any other manufacturer.

I bought a R12R because of the lack of plastic, and I got most of the goodies BMW offered for the machine, yeah it was within about $1500 of a base RT and it was pointed out to me, I did'nt care, I could have bought a FJR, or a ST with all the plastic for a lot less money. The GS looks like a two wheeled Hummer to me, not necessarily a bad thing just not my cup of tea. Had BMW not offered the R12R I would probbably not have bought another BMW, I have had several and still own three. If they discontinue the R12R because of slow sales I compleatly understand. I've had two K100RS's and never did quite bond with them, I like the twins. I think the new S1000RR is a very cool motorcycle and something BMW needs to attract younger buyers but I'm a old guy and not in the market for a 200hp canyon rocket. As the market changes you had better keep up or it will pass you buy. Case in point look at HD they really have nothing to sell the younger riders, I think they have gotten themselves into a hell of a fix. That demographic pool of 50 and 60 year old riders is getting smaller all the time. BMW is moving on to fish in a bigger pond, Things change.

Ken G.

In Wisconsin, Nick's BMW didn't have an R model on the floor this fall. I asked about it and I was told that they never sell any of them. I wonder how much has to do with weather. While you can bundle up, it certainly is easier to ride in the cold on an RT.

Personally, I love the look of the R bikes. I'm a student, and for a while one of my professors had an 1150R that was almost a perfect color match for an 86 R80 I had. The two bikes had the exact same spirit, and you could tell when they were parked next to each other.

Back