• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Buyer Beware!

stevenrankin

So if anyone is looking to buy a "new to them" airhead or has a friend or family member looking. Please take the time to have the bike looked at by someone who knows airheads! Don't buy a bike and find out later you got caught with a money pit.

So I am going to rant a bit. Just got back from my friend's shop where he was finishing up working on a bike dropped off to get running after the owner messed something up and the bike had been sitting for a few years. Long story short, the bike needs a ton of work done to it just to get it on the road part due to old age and sitting part due to Previous Owner's Disease. The latter being major.

When told the amount of work needed and what it would cost my friend to do the repairs, the owner declined saying he had a couple of guys interested in buying it. When asked for the price, the owner mentioned $5000. My friend informed him that is the going price for a road worthy good condition bike of the same model. $1500 tops would be what the bike is worth considering the amount of work needed on it just to get it running, not to mention any cosmetic work. Buyers beware there may be a bike going up for sale that is not priced for what it is.

Of course this did not sit well with the owner and I am sure my friend has lost a customer.

Why do I rant? Because I am sick and tired of poor guys buying high priced junk bikes because they have a BMW emblem on them! I am sick of the jerks who take advantage of the buyers. IF any of you know someone contemplating buying an airhead PLEASE make them aware of the possible high costs involved with restoring or repairing one. Yes they are simple but that does not mean cheap.

I have to laugh, because most people who read this have been in the airhead gang for a long time and know what I mean and agree or, sadly are looking for help with a "good buy" after the fact. There have been a few write ups lately about airhead ownership the cons. I must admit, the cons are getting more numerous.

Anyway, not sure if this rant makes sense or not. St.

Buyer beware seems to fit here.

I've held off buying a classic airhead, though I'd like one. I'm no wrencher, my mechanic isn't inexpensive and I don't need the drama of unknown/learning just how much it's was going to cost me.

Steve,

I do agree with your sentiment.

However, in my experience, most airheads are pretty durable, with very few Achilles heels. Additionally, I’ve found that they are simple to wrench on, for the most part. Many well produced, do it yourself videos are online, and have helped me immensely, as well as members on the forum have, including yourself. Maybe I’ve just been lucky with the five airheads that I’ve owned over the years.

One last thing, is that they are very enjoyable to ride.

So yes, with any used, and vintage mechanical device, caveat emptor would be wise to adhere to.

Last edited:
It’s always buyer beware. What I’ve noticed too, is a lot of us boomers now retired, searching for and buying a bike from our youth, the 60s or 70s, without thinking it all the way through, forgetting the maintenance and constant TLC a bike from that era is going to need to keep in top running condition. Also, who is going to do the services and repairs? Them, or someone else. Good luck nowadays finding someone who not only works on those bikes but does a good enough job and at what price?

So I can see that people buy a classic and then realize “****, now what do I do”? and let it sit for a few years and then try to unload it.

“New Marketing” has shown, or is trying to convince people looking for a vehicle, that vehicle purchases are now best done now while sitting on their bed cross legged eating popcorn using their smartphones.

Not my approach.

OM

OK, I'm probably from the other side of this problem. I've yet to spend more than $1,000 for an Airhead. I expect nothing and am just tickled when things work. So when I find a $500 problem like this:

Elsa41-L.jpg

when reviving a bike it's no big deal.

OK, I'm probably from the other side of this problem. I've yet to spend more than $1,000 for an Airhead. I expect nothing and am just tickled when things work. So when I find a $500 problem like this:

Elsa41-L.jpg

when reviving a bike it's no big deal.

Melville,
I have some pre used 500 grit Emory paper, you are welcome to. Should clean up well.😁

Melville,
I have some pre used 500 grit Emory paper, you are welcome to. Should clean up well.😁

I sent that pic to Craig Hansen with the beginnings of a question. He shut it down quickly--"We tried resurfacing those back then. No."

I recently got an '83 R100 RS for about a third of what they seem to be going for in the US. All original with only a few minor issues to sort out. Fun machine, glad I lucked into it pretty close to home!
IMG_7779-XL.jpg

I recently got an '83 R100 RS for about a third of what they seem to be going for in the US. All original with only a few minor issues to sort out. Fun machine, glad I lucked into it pretty close to home!
IMG_7779-XL.jpg

Nice one, great color. Even has a fork brace.

What are it’s needs?

I recently got an '83 R100 RS for about a third of what they seem to be going for in the US. All original with only a few minor issues to sort out. Fun machine, glad I lucked into it pretty close to home! ...

Man, I really hate it when a good bike shows up that is way under priced. Of course that is how I got my 77 R100RS. The dealership bought the bike very cheaply (likely from a widow looking to get rid of the bike). The dealership realized the amount of work needed and that they would not be able to recoup their costs. I came along and they offered it to me as is for $1400 (in 2002). I said yes my next question was if the bike ran; the dealership didn't know. So we started the bike and I rode it around the parking lot, then I rode it home and the bike didn't get back on the road for the next two years. I had to laugh when I saw the lay out of parts from the R90S in the Max BMW ad on page 1 of the recent MOA Owner's News. [There isn't that much difference between the /6 and /7 bikes.] I ended up touching every part shown on the Max BMW ad, including re-building the transmission. I figure that I've got about $6500 in the bike at this time [about $2k is for paint and body work]. New nikasil cylinders and pistons from Ted Porter and head work [when Ted was still doing that stuff] were about the final step. It is now a great bike and very reliable.

On the Max BMW picture of the R90S parts, I noticed a few things missing. Any one else notice?

https://issuu.com/bmwmoa/docs/bmwon_2023-07

Screenshot 2023-07-12 212127.jpg

The lower fairing on both sides was cracked at one of the bolts to the frame but was an easy fix with JB Weld. I bought a carb rebuild kist and did that, it was obvious it needed it from the crud I could see on the slide. I found a short on one side Fram horn connector that was popping fuses and again an easy fix with a little reposition. I think the dragging brakes was caused by the master cylinder being clogged so not allowing the fluid to return, I emptied and cleaned that out for good flow. I did bleed them when I got the bike. I plan to install a new set of brake lines just because. I did put new tires on but that's normal. Otherwise the bike is good from my perspective, I just wanted a good runner, no show queens for me. I couldn't believe the pump was still under the seat!

$2500 CND was price I couldn't say no to. After making friends with the owner and letting him know I didn't want to chop it he pulled the ad and kept it for me. I think being the Air Marshall of my local chapter helped too.

Back