• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How To Awaken A Long Sleeping Airhead (1982 R65LS) ?

Motorman2061

Hello All and Happy Holidays (2023)

As I am soon to be a proud owner of a 1982 R65LS (Henna Red), I would like your general advise on what might be the best way to awaken this long sleeping airhead classic. There is a tremendous amount of specific information on neglected and sitting airheads, and how to do specific procedures, such as oil and filter changes, but I thought a comprehensive list of what you might do to resuscitate a classic airhead might be a great help to others.

What would be your first procedure and then your follow up methods for bringing back to life a precious classic airhead? I am aware there are some helpful Utube videos on the subject, but thought some lists in print would be of assistance.

Thanks in advance for you comments and suggestions.

It depends

Merry Christmas and happy new year. Welcome to the forum.

So I will write that a lot of what I would do in your case would depend entirely upon how the bike was stored, for how long it was in storage. What kind of maintenance records or proof of maintenance do you have from the previous owner.

I have seen bikes come into my friend's shop that needed nothing more than fresh gas and a battery, and others that need full restoration.

Let me put it this way, if I got a bike that had been in storage and opened the gas cap and found the tank with stale bad gas in it, or one with the orange tank lining gone, my list of things to do would depend on how much damage the bad gas did to the tank inside, if there is any sludge or water in the tank. From there I would have to examine the carbs to see what shape they are in.

Bikes with old tires most time need new tires as they do age with time, but again if they are not that old and have tread you might get by.

Be a bit more specific as to what the condition of the bike is in and perhaps post some good pictures? St.

Agreed, a look in the gas tank will give some definite info. I got an R100 RS last year that had been stored for 7 or 8 years and was running fine when it was put away. It surprisingly fired right up when I went to look at it. I was lucky the gas tank had always had gas and stabilizer so was good. The carbs were dirty and I ordered a rebuild kit just based on looks, turned out the diaphragms were toast as well so the rebuild kit was well justified. Have a look at the wiring, the fuses are in front of the little tray under the seat right in front of the fuel tank. I too have an '82 R65 LS and I don't think the carbs have ever been touched, I'm considering a rebuild kit just because they're 40 years old. Great little bike! I rode mine to Tennessee in 2019 for the MOA rally and it ran great.

I was out ripping around 2 days ago.
IMG_9171-XL.jpg

Good luck! Pics will help others evaluate.

I was fortunate to be able to buy a semi neglected 1983 R100, in Feb. 2022. Not to be unkind to the previous owner, as he had not intended to park it in 2015, but life got in the way. At any rate, when I received the machine, it was a non runner.

So, my first task was to assess the fuel tank, which still held 7 year old gas. Luckily, it had not damaged the liner, so I was able to just drain it off. I also elected to rebuild both peacocks, just as preventative maintenance. I added a small quantity of Marvel Mystery oil to both combustion chambers, just to loosen up anything that may be stuck.
Next, I went over every fusable link, and wiring connections, and applied Deoxit. I found a lot of corrosion build up on these, but only needed to rewire one connection. I followed that with a look at the carburetors. The bellows were encrusted in petrified fuel vapor, so I had everything cleaned ultrasonically. Reassembled with all new bellows, gaskets, o rings and floats. Checked valve clearance and buttoned everything up. With new plugs, battery, and all fluids changed, it fired up on about the third try. Of course, I forgot about adding the MM oil, so Managed to exterminate any insects in my garage.

I have since added about 8000 miles, just changing various rubber parts along the way.

Good luck with the LS.

In the past couple years I've revived an R100/7 and an R100RS that had been sitting in a damp barn together for over 30 years. Basic steps, each next step assumes the previous one was successful:

1. Remove spark plugs and squirt some oil in the cylinders.

2. Remove the front cover and try to turn the motor over with the alternator rotor bolt.

3. Drain the oil, remove and clean out the sump. Check the torque on the pickup bolts (remove and replace) using Loctite on the reinstall. New gaskets for the oil pickup and the pan.

4. Fresh oil and filter. I use Brad Penn straight 30 weight Break-in Oil because I think it helps the rings recover. It stays in the motor for about 200 miles of what I call "Re-Break-In."

5. Valve adjustment check.

6. Rebuild the carburetors. If you don't think that's required, pull the pilot jet and the main jet assembly and spray the crap out of the holes you've revealed with carb cleaner. Somewhere in here you should check the airbox for rodent intrusion. You may need a new air filter element.

7. You've gotten a new battery or you're borrowing a good one from one of your other bikes. Check the spark timing (points?) and adjust as necessary.

8. You may as well try to hear it run now. You can just fill the float bowls and it will run for a minute or two. If it roars, you'll be so motivated to do whatever else needs doing.

From here it gets specific to the bike--does it need tires? Do the brakes work? Is the lining intact in the gas tank? Does it need head bearings, wheel bearings, or fork service?

Anyway, using this basic procedure the R100/7 fired up and is now my main ride. It was leak-free and the rings recovered to the point of having cranking compression of 125ish psi. I did end up re-ringing it because the top end had to come off to deal with a stripped spark plug hole and it was compressing 145ish psi with about 50 miles on the new rings.

The R100RS got about 200 miles on it and has 150ish compression on both sides but is leaking like a sumbitch and will be coming apart to deal with that and to restore the chassis parts to a shiny condition. The /7 is a 'patina' bike, looking like it's been loved to death. People really seem to dig it, moreso than my blinged-out R75.

Howdy and Merry Christmas to All,

Thanks so very much for all of your kind and thoughtful comments on initial restoration of my R60LS.
You guys are the best, and give me hope for bringing her back to the road.

Getting it back on the road

LOL, I don't doubt you will get it back on the road, just have fund doing so. Next to keeping my bike running for near 40years, I have rebuilt it frame up, three times and another bike once. It is a great feeling when someone compliments me on my bike and finds out how old it is and how many miles are on it. St.

Steve,
Very well stated. One of the many virtues of these venerable airheads, is that they are infinitely rebuildable. A steady flow of spare parts supply and great knowledge that is shared, continue to enable owners to keep them on the road.

R65ls

Hello All and Happy Holidays (2023)

As I am soon to be a proud owner of a 1982 R65LS (Henna Red), I would like your general advise on what might be the best way to awaken this long sleeping airhead classic. There is a tremendous amount of specific information on neglected and sitting airheads, and how to do specific procedures, such as oil and filter changes, but I thought a comprehensive list of what you might do to resuscitate a classic airhead might be a great help to others.

What would be your first procedure and then your follow up methods for bringing back to life a precious classic airhead? I am aware there are some helpful Utube videos on the subject, but thought some lists in print would be of assistance.

Thanks in advance for you comments and suggestions.

Let me know if you have any questions..did three R65LS restorations with a standard R65 just in for the same treatment.

Everybody has covered the usual suspects on how to resurrect a long-sleeping airhead. Fluids, gas, battery, carbs, and air filter will get you started..then tires, shocks, and anything covered with wads of electrical tape or rusted.

Then it's up to you if this is a rider or a long-term keeper who needs a makeover.

Attachments

• R65LS.jpg
    R65LS.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 43
Back