• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Throttle Body Plastic Pulley are breaking!

atc23

Ivan
Hey guys!

With this post I will try to reach as many people possible to be awear with issue relating the throttle bodies of certain BMW models. Because this is big issue and can cause headaches :banghead or bad health:confused: .
I'm talking about BMW R1200 AIR/OIL cooling GS/GSA/RT/RT-P/HP2/RnineT/S/ST/R. If I have to be more specific wich models are, just check the list below!
Many of you maybe know that plastic pulleys are cracking because metal and plastic expand diffrently and this cause additional tention that damages the plastic pulley.
Bad thing is that you do not know when and where the pulley will brake completly. It is possible to check under the throttle bodies with dental mirror to be sure it's okay but only from one side.
Let's take another point of view, new throttle bodies are quite expensive but the original repair kit is very cheap because it's made from plastic. So using the same plastic pulley will lead you to the same problem.
It's better that things go upgraded rather than stay the same level of bad quality.
Some countries have ppl that are manifacturing metal pulley made from aluminium alloy. Some are very exprensive or very cheap with no finishing coat and others that are pricey but offers great coating that increase the endurance of the part.
Basically replacing the palstic with metal pulley makes the riding more safe. Breaking plastic pulley when you are taking over in the traffic, having fun in the corners or just riding somewhere in the mountain or desert will be complete fail due to the cheap plastics.
Winter is comming so you can consider checking your throttle bodies while making regular maintenance of your bike.
I can suggest you this repair kit, you can buy it couple of places facebookpage, original website , Etsy and eBay. You can find in the website pictures (of 25 steps to refurbish a throttle body) and video to learn how refurbishing TB is done. It is a shared knowledge wich make it very valuable for everyone! I will share some pictures of people that have already encounter this issue, just to make it more clear.
Guys if you have any questions or opinions please share.

HP2 2005 - 2010 Air/Oil cooled ( K29, K25H )
R1200GS/GSA 2003 - 2012 also 2013 Air/Oil cooled ( K25, K225 )
R1200R 2005 - 2013 also 2014 Air/Oil cooled ( K27 )
R1200RT 2003 - 2013 also 2014 Air/Oil cooled ( K26 )
R1200RT-P 2005 - 2013 also 2014 Air/Oil cooled ( K26 )
R900RT 2005 - 2010 Air/Oil cooled ( K26 )
R1200S 2006 - 2008 Air/Oil cooled ( K29 )
R1200ST 2003 - 2008 Air/Oil cooled ( K28 )
R nine T 2013 - 2020 Air/Oil cooled ( K21 -T16 / TPure / TScrambler / TUrban G-S / TRacer )
RG1200GS 2004 - 2006 Air/Oil cooled
R 1200 BAJA 2010 - 2021 Air/Oil cooled

Throttle Bodies Part Numbers:
(1354 7672731, 1354 7672732)
(1354 7710990, 1354 7710989)
(1354 7713661, 1354 7713662)
(1354 7685323, 1354 7685324)
(1354 7682107, 1354 7682108)
(1354 7712613, 1354 7712614)
(1354 7705239, 1354 7705240)
(1354 7685303, 1354 7700060)

Gallery_black_7.jpg
Gallery_black_4.jpg

Last edited:
Good information, but smells a lot like spam. The OP and the parts come from the same country. ATC=aluminum Throttle Cam.

Good information, but smells a lot like spam. The OP and the parts come from the same country. ATC=aluminum Throttle Cam.

No worries. If it turns out to be more like a “sales” lead than a “help” for a problem lead, the Moderators will just move it to the Opportunities- Members and Vendors section.

Either way, Welcome to the Forum atc23!

OM

Great product!

My bike is a 2013 and reaching the age where the plastics may be getting brittle. I recently replaced the plastic quick disconnects. This will be a fun winter project and give me an opportunity to clean the throttle bodies once they have been dissembled.

Just placed my order!

The throttle bodies on my 2012GS were replaced with metal, one was cracked, the other broken when checked. My mechanic knew about some company making the metal replacement parts and had them in stock [ it's a known issue here in the extreme heat of the desert ]. He told me it's not as much of a problem elsewhere in the US as it is here due to the heat.

Picked up a 2011RT, had them check under extended warranty, sure enough, one cracked, both replaced with metal parts

Had them check the 2016RS 2 years ago. No issues.

I replaced the cracked throttle body pulleys on my '13RT with the aluminum ones from Bulgaria mentioned in the 1st post. Great product and I'm thankful these are available. Pretty easy to do if you're mechanically inclined and once done it's a permanent fix. If you have an '05 to '13 R series you need to check your pulleys for cracks. If they break on the road you aren't going anywhere.

There is a guy on the R1200GS and the ADVRIDER GSpot forums who was doing a swap of throttle bodies on which he had replaced the pulley for the failing throttle bodies from an inmate’s bike. I don’t think (not sure of this) he charged anything other than shipping. Screen name is PerazziMx14.

There has been threads on the BMW Sport Touring forum for years on this subject. Unfortunately BMW's response has been deafness. There have been many filings with the NHTSA over it and even call backs, but nothing from BMW. I was an early adopter in 2015, the only solution then was new or used throttle bodies, the former of which was and is very expensive, but what's recommended by BMW. I chose the latter. I do have the Bulgarian parts on hand and will make a video of fixing my original throttle bodies next month. I'll add PM doesn't affect this from happening. At all. Whether dealer or self. Some have posited that and that's ludicrous. It's using the wrong materials for the part and the owners are left holding the bag.

Back