• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

End of an Era?

G

GREGFUESS

Just read a rumor on the R1200R.org website that BMW is discontinuing the R1200R because once the farkle is added, the cost is too close to an RT, and sales are declining. Anyone here hear that rumor?

Post this over in Hexheads and really get the chatter up...

I hope they do not discontinue it...it's NOT an RT and fits a niche for a lot of riders. I thought the price point was not that close. Heck, after any add-ons all the bikes go up quickly dollar wise. More folks "farkle "up RT's from the guys I hang out with. The Roadsters keep it Airhead simple...well close anyways!

Took two years for them to bring it into the lineup after the HEX RT...sad to see it go if that is more than a internet rumor!

That would definitely surprise me! These are pretty popular bikes right now, despite the cost.

Jim :brow

I hope not, it's the only bike in the line up right now that I would buy. I'm too young to own an RT and I don't like the sit up straight GS (as well as its SUV pretensions that I will never use). They already got rid of the sport touring line, which was my natural choice...

I hope not, it's the only bike in the line up right now that I would buy. I'm too young to own an RT and I don't like the sit up straight GS (as well as its SUV pretensions that I will never use). They already got rid of the sport touring line, which was my natural choice...

Are you saying only us "old" guys ride them. :D

oldbeemers_sm.jpg

I've got a few more than this now. I just don't find the need to insulate myself from the riding environment as much as an RT does. The most fairing I've ever had on a bike is my R11xxRSes and R1200ST. But then again, I don't have a need for XM/radio/iPod/Comm stuff. I finally bought a GPS, but I find the audio very distracting, so I have it muted all the time.

It's like all the plastic covered bikes: that does nothing for me. I like to see the motor in the motorcycle.

It's just the way I am.

This would be a total shock to me.

The R1200R is the closest thing to a Standard bike that BMW still has in its line. In the big bike class (over 650cc in the US, 500cc in Europe and 250cc in Japan) Standards are the only bike segment that has shown an increase in sales the last two years.

In several venues BMW has said while it is expanding into the sport bike market it remains committed to R bike development and production. Eliminating the R__R from that line seems to go against market trends and BMWÔÇÖs commitment to the series. I am looking forward to the new engine making its way into a R1200R. That would get me to buy another Roadster.

All that said it would not surprise me to see the Roadster dropped from the US lineup while keeping and developing it as part of the sales mix in other country line ups.

Just read a rumor on the R1200R.org website that BMW is discontinuing the R1200R because once the farkle is added, the cost is too close to an RT, and sales are declining. Anyone here hear that rumor?

All I can tell you is that the literature being distributed to dealers does not include a 2010 Roadster. My guess is that with all the new models (F, G, S), something had to give and that was the Roadster. The cost isn't that much different from a GS and the GS is a far more capable bike, especially with the HP2 engine transplanted into it for '10. There's also the step up for the RT, which is superior in almost every way to the Roadster...except nakedness. The 2010 RT gets the HP2 motor, better gearbox, better aerodynamics, colormatched hard bags, luggage racks, heat, traction control, communications, and ESA II. Why bother with a stripped down bike, when you can go either GS or RT?

I also suspect R1200R sales have been declining as people do just as I suggested above.

This is just my opinion. And I may be wrong.

I've got a few more than this now. I just don't find the need to insulate myself from the riding environment as much as an RT does. The most fairing I've ever had on a bike is my R11xxRSes and R1200ST. But then again, I don't have a need for XM/radio/iPod/Comm stuff. I finally bought a GPS, but I find the audio very distracting, so I have it muted all the time.

It's like all the plastic covered bikes: that does nothing for me. I like to see the motor in the motorcycle.

It's just the way I am.

That is a fantastic collection and each one looks new. I'm jealous! I was kidding around of course but you made me eat my post with that reply!

snipped

All I can tell you is that the literature being distributed to dealers does not include a 2010 Roadster. ...

The cost isn't that much different from a GS and the GS is a far more capable bike, especially with the HP2 engine transplanted into it for '10. There's also the step up for the RT, which is superior in almost every way to the Roadster...except nakedness. ...

Why bother with a stripped down bike, when you can go either GS or RT?

I also suspect R1200R sales have been declining as people do just as I suggested above.

Capability is in the eye or seat of the beholder. In general I can not argue with you; however for my needs the Roadster is far superior to the other R bikes. The trouble is I represent a very small share of the US market.

I had not noticed that Roadster had been dropped for 2010, perhaps because I never checked :ha. Traditionally the Roadster has been the last to get a engine upgrade, normally a year behind the other models. This has allowed BMW to clear out production parts and importers and dealers to clear their show room inventory.

Capability is in the eye or seat of the beholder. In general I can not argue with you; however for my needs the Roadster is far superior to the other R bikes. The trouble is I represent a very small share of the US market.

I had not noticed that Roadster had been dropped for 2010, perhaps because I never checked :ha. Traditionally the Roadster has been the last to get a engine upgrade, normally a year behind the other models. This has allowed BMW to clear out production parts and importers and dealers to clear their show room inventory.

to be honest, the roadster has always been the red headed stepchild of the lineup.

hey, who knows? maybe they'll stick the hot engine in it and announce it later. beats me. i just don't think it makes sense, especially since you can get lowered RTs and GSs (suspension and seats).

I know the roadster fans love their bikes. But look on the bright side...if the model is dropped from the '10 lineup, that's likely to prop up R resale prices. :)

All I can tell you is that the literature being distributed to dealers does not include a 2010 Roadster.
Well, my dealer has a 2010 Roadster on the floor. The '10 model now comes with the BMW "Comfort Seat" (lots like a Sargent seat actually..) and a few other standard features that used to be options (I don't think it can be had without ABS now..) So....

Snippage..

The same dealer who has the '10 on the floor - the GM of the dealership commented to me that they have been selling more R12R's than any other bike lately.. He found it curious 'cause usually bike model sales start off strong when introduced and then trickle down to a constant number - in this case - he has seen the opposite - sales have grown in the 3 years they've had the bike to sell.

The cost isn't that much different from a GS and the GS is a far more capable bike, especially with the HP2 engine transplanted into it for '10.

The RT/GS does not have the HP2 motor...

HP2 Engine:
Horsepower (bhp/kW) 130 / 97
Horsepower RPM 8750
Torque (Ft Lbs/Nm) 85 / 115
Torque RPM 6000

2010 R1200RT Engine:
Horsepower (bhp/kW) 110 / 82.1
Horsepower RPM 7750
Torque (Ft Lbs/Nm) 88 / 119.3
Torque RPM 6000

Double over head cams; yes.

Back