• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

End of an Era?

Congrats on the new bike!

However, you cannot retrofit the ASC or TPM without major cost. You can get a good aftermarket TPM, but the ASC is pretty much out.

Sorry.

Jim :brow

Actually - the ASC can be retrofitted by a dealer. Cost to the dealer is about $600 (dunno if this qualifies as major - get the dealer to pay for it..). BMW came out with a retrofit "kit" about 3 months ago since there are bikes at dealers that people might buy if they had ASC. It can also be purchased by ANY owner of an R1200R after a certain production date (I believe my 10/06 may just squeeze in.. been meaning to check with the service department at my friendly local dealership.) This one I've seen the service bulletin on.

The TPM may or may not be retrofitable. All the parts were available, but BMW-AG wasn't selling the code required to activate the system. I have heard rumors that this policy has changed (such as the ASC policy did) but have not seen the SIB on it - yet.

There are several choices in TPM aftermarket systems. I'm quite happy with the Zadi system I'm using, it does what I want how I want it to, and once the initial programming hurdle is overcome (the translated from Italian directions aren't crystal clear.. I've been meaning to re-write them..) it has worked flawlessly. Readings are within 1PSI of my AeroStitch talking tire gauge, and the warning system works just great (temperature compensated warning system for low AND high-pressure warnings.) It also uses sensors that mount much like the BMW ones do, in the same locations, so a dealer changing tires shouldn't destroy them with the tire machine.

my dealer found a new-in-the-crate 2009 alpine white "premium package" R12R
Glad to hear you were still able to snag a brand new 2009. Knowing what I know now (namely that they are an absolute joy to ride) I would definitely do the same rather than wait for who knows how long for BMW to start making them again.

Safe trip home!

Thanks Ludell. I was extremely pleased at the price I got it for (about 20% off MSRP) and the Alpinweiss is really starting to grow on me. The motorrad will be at the dealer late this next week, at which point they are going to email me pictures thus making my remaining week or two the absolute slowest of this deployment. :huh

R1200R Alpine White

Matt,

Here is a photo of mine that I just took delivery on Feb 18. I wasn't crazy about the Alpine White color either, but that was what the dealer had in stock.

I traded in my R1200RT on this bike. If I had known how much easier the R1200R is to ride compared to the RT, I would have traded the RT in three years ago.

I think you will love this bike. I know I am loving mine.

Bill

Attachments

• R1200R 001.jpg
    R1200R 001.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 67
I found these Italian market sales statistics on Asphalt and Rubber, they imply that the R1200R may sell well in other markets:

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/italian-sales-figures-show-insight-fz8/#more-8324
They actually seem to be selling well here.. my local dealer said he's sold more R12R's than GS's in the past few months, and that he was surprised - the R12R started out slow and has picked up steam with time. I'm guessing (1) the word is finally out on how much fun they really are to ride (2) perhaps people have realized that a GS is really overkill for their style of riding, and the R12R is lower and easier to handle.

Whatever - I'm happy I bought one of the first - which has been flawless. I went from 5,000 miles a year to 11-12,000 miles a year with this bike (I'm still full-time employed) and have done a long trip every year I've owned it, and just find my experience with the bike is getting better and better. Can't wait to get some serious riding in (did a little 90 mile ride last Sunday - most of the snow was off the road and it was 37F or so..) so I can finish wearing out the current set of tires and put the spring tires on it.

If they replaced the R1200R with an F800/650
that looked more standard (less edgy styling)
and maybe had the lever front end, they would
have a best-seller in Europe. Whether it would
sell in the Land-of-MORE or even be offered is
another topic.

Back