• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Does not run. Needs work.

1977???? No 1000cc BMW was factory made in 1967.

If it is a 1977, that was one of the peak points in BMW Airhead engines. Looks like the front rim has been replaced as per the 19" wheel recall.

BMW didn’t make a 1000cc bike in 1967; that bike is a RS from a decade or more later. Proceed cautiously...

Best,
DeVern

1977???? No 1000cc BMW was factory made in 1967.

If it is a 1977, that was one of the peak points in BMW Airhead engines. Looks like the front rim has been replaced as per the 19" wheel recall.
I guess I transposed the 67.

BMW R100, with variant models designated by T, S, CS, RS, RS Classic, RT, RT Classic, TIC,TC, R and GS is a BMW motorcycle series, using a two-cylinder four-stroke boxer engine of 980 cc capacity. Model production began in 1976, with a premature shutdown and subsequent restart in 1985, and final completion of the series in 1996.

The VIN will tell all. 1976 was the first year for the R100 I think, although I don't think the gold color was available that first year. Maybe?

I guess I transposed the 67.

BMW R100, with variant models designated by T, S, CS, RS, RS Classic, RT, RT Classic, TIC,TC, R and GS is a BMW motorcycle series, using a two-cylinder four-stroke boxer engine of 980 cc capacity. Model production began in 1976, with a premature shutdown and subsequent restart in 1985, and final completion of the series in 1996.

Yup...all that is correct. The year 1967 was actually in the ad, so you didn't transpose it.

78 rs

The ad says 67, it is possible a typo. BMW offered the gold RS in 1978 and perhaps 79. It was not a popular color and was dropped. The 77 RS was one time light color silver/blueish or blue/silverish.

The pictures show a pretty nice bike for a reasonable price. Even if you were to gasp! part it out, you would make back the purchase price no problem.

As for getting it running, a better choice, from the two pictures it looks darn nice, if it were near me, I would snap it up even though I have a 78RS already.

Depending on why it won't run, could make it a great deal.

I have seen much worse looking bikes on sale for far higher prices. Ebay had a clapped out 79RT listed for $5K that didn't look even close to as nice as this. If your brother goes to look at it for you, have him proceed with caution. Do a little research on the RS bikes of that year. I would be cautious of the broken odometer, yet, the pictures look good. Maybe too good to be true?

If it is really as good as the pictures show, it won't last at that price despite not running. Good luck, St.

Back