• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do you ride your motorcycle to work?

I ride to work when there is no snow on the ground. I love heading out at 0415 on a late fall morning. Sun is just thinking about coming up, hardly any traffic on the roads, and because the temps are below 65F, I'm the only bike out there.

I get to park in the covered garage area with the patrol cars, so I can leave my helmet and gear on the bike and not worry about it disappearing. Beats having to haul it up three flights of stairs.

Just stopped doing a 48 mile roundtrip commute...had done it all but one day last year other than sick/vacation days...Rain or shine ,hot or cold(never too cold here)and I wasn't even a postal employee. Did it in Houston in the 70's...and a few years here when I quit driving the company truck. In the summer ALWAYS made it a longer ride home and a few on the way in ...as someone said " missed a turn boss!" Went in earlier than most, and out of office at 3PM everyday...

Now I have to "make" myself go for a ride since I am new to the big R and every day is a vacation so to speak:thumb

This is my second winter of commuting, with the exception of days with an ice/snow danger. It helps my morale and I can park the bike where I can see it from my office....also good for my morale. An electric jacket liner helps a lot with the comfort factor.

I ride the bike to work about 95% of the time - I take the car if ice is likely. The mountains here are prone to black ice.

About 28 miles round trip- but - 10 miles of it is on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Even better - Every couple of month's I do a 100 mile round trip with about 45 of it on the BRPW, right past the highest point on the Parkway. And I claim mileage for that one.

(Please don't hate me)

I rode year round when I lived in Charlotte. Now I'm in the "snow belt" and usually have to stop riding by Thanksgiving. This year I rode until 12/27 but I got out on New Years day for an hour of riding just because I could:dance. Lake effect snow has finally gotten here so I'm probably parked for the most part until late March.

I will take the bike to work if the it isnt raining on the way to the office. I dont mind riding home in the rain but I would rather take wet rain gear off at home than at the office. The cold weather hasnt bothered me too much, riding a K75RT is like riding a heater!

To work rides

Everyday possible when the weather mad man isnt talking ice. The only problem is I get lost on the way home alot! Takes me at least 2 hours to remember the way :bolt home!

Ride to work

I ride when it's safe, year around. I have busiess sites 2+ hours away and others in OH and that's a 1,000 mile commute. It's nice when you get paid for riding;) I usually head out early to take the long way. My local commute is only 13 miles but I can see the RT outside the window about 8 ft. away.

I can get away with it about 2X a week when it is riding season (no rain, no below 45 due to no heated gear, and no above 105, too obvious). That makes for about 280 to 300 days available a year, here. Now if I could only get away with it more than 1 or 2 X a week, but between dress-up meetings and court appearances, it gets tricky.

Pretty much every day unless there is ice on the road. The worst place is usually in the company parking lot.

Every day except when there is ice on the road. In central Texas that is rare. However the push at work is for more people to work from home.

Heheheheheheheheheheh, search this topic and find a zillion past threads on the subject.

My answer has not changed: no. I basically cannot use the bike to commute for several reasons. Much of my work is doing safety-inspections and other medgas system services in hospitals.

-I usually have to carry equipment.
-I wear a uniform with lots of stuff attached/pinned to it- don't want any of that stuff injuring me in a get-off, plus it's a good idea for my uniform to look crisp and sharply-professional when I arrive rather than crumpled from being under my gear.
-No place to stow the gear when I get there.
-Jobs can be scheduled anytime, 24/7, so there are times when I don't want to ride anyway.

I am strongly considering a career-change though, so the next job may change all this. Stay tuned!

As others in northern climates have stated, whenever there is no snow/ice on the road. My commute is about 7+ miles. Would rather leave the diesel pickup at home when traction is good.

Have a few alternate routes that add some good miles for my trip back home.

If we lived in a warmer climate, I would like to get rid of at least one 4 wheeled vehicle.

Would rather leave the diesel pickup at home when traction is good./QUOTE]

remember when....diesel was cheaper than regular by quite a bit?:scratch Mine stays parked unless have something really large to haul the GS cannot...My 3/4 ton two wheeler carries a lot of groceries!

if the roads are dry....

I ride to work. Ice and snow on the road, probably not. Temps don't matter unless of course it'll create ice if it precipitates.

30 mile round-trip commute on my bike every day except when a hurricane is blowing. Even the oppresive summer heat does not bother me.

I ride mine to work when it is not wet or snowing.. Snow, although rare in OK, does happen.. My commute is 1.5 miles to work.. I do take the long way home though..

Enjoy

Only in clear weather. I have to wear a sport coat and slacks or a suit every day. Rainy days lead to cleaning bills, especially for the bottom of my pants.

As much as possible

9 miles & 17 signals the short way - that's the route I use when I take the car. 12 miles, 4 lights & 5 stop signs when I take the bike.
I ride if the roads are ice free & the forecast is good. Riding in the snow is no fun..... (Heated gear rocks too I've recently discovered!!)

Back