• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do you ride your motorcycle to work?

RJM2096

How many of us regularly ride our motorcyles to work?

If we don't, why not?

I do when weather is favorable and I have a load that can be carried on the motorcycle. I will ride until it dips below 40 degree F. I have heated gloves and grips. I don't ride in rain or snow. I can carry a laptop, papers, and change of clothes if needed. I normally ride out around the lake to work and enjoy the scenery, instead of taking the interstate which is quicker, but full of idiots late for work or on their cells.

I'd love to, but my commute to work is only 4 miles.

I actually tried to ride the bike to work this past summer.
All was well until I flipped on the turn signal to turn into the parking lot.
All of a sudden THE STEERING LOCKED UP!!!!!
I was only able to go straight ahead until I was about 100 yards past my turn in.
No matter how I tried, or what direction I came at it I just couldn't make that final turn into work.
I ended up heading west out to the Mississippi river and had to follow that north to LaCrosse, WI where I finally was able to get control back.

Weird huh?

:brad

We are retired now so answer N/A. But when we were both working, Voni rode every day she could meaning not snowy, icy, or way too cold - say 20 degrees. I rode occasionally. She had a bucolic rural 35 mile ride to school (teacher) on two lane roads. I had a partly rural but then congested 40 mile ride into the urban bottleneck. If she went somewhere during the day it was in a school district van or bus. I used my vehicle - bike or car - a lot almost every day while working.

So she rode all the time. I rode when I felt like it, which wasn't often, except Friday when I expected to leave work to go to a rally.

I just traded a 3.2-mile commute to work for a 20-mile commute (I couldn't move Clear Lake and Galveston Bay closer to work so I had to move). Not much riding to work with the 3.2-mile commute, but a lot more now with the 20-mile commute. It's not exactly a scenic, twisty ride, but it still puts you in a better attitude. We do not get much sub-freezing temperatures here, so it's usually the forecast of bad weather (rain) that keeps the bike in the garage. OK, yes, I'm a wimp.

My new job is 3.7 miles from home. I'm thinking of a bicycle come spring.

I seldom commuted when work was 50 miles away. To much of a hastle bringing all my clothes, suiting up both sides, it was adding 20 minutes to a 60 min commute. I'd bring the bike on Fridays when I could take 2 hours (off the hwy) to get home.

I'd love to, but my commute to work is only 4 miles.

I actually tried to ride the bike to work this past summer.
All was well until I flipped on the turn signal to turn into the parking lot.
All of a sudden THE STEERING LOCKED UP!!!!!
I was only able to go straight ahead until I was about 100 yards past my turn in.
No matter how I tried, or what direction I came at it I just couldn't make that final turn into work.
I ended up heading west out to the Mississippi river and had to follow that north to LaCrosse, WI where I finally was able to get control back.

Weird huh?

not at all it has happened to me as well, I just let the bike have its head and then all is well....:laugh

RM

Not now, I work from home. Guess I ride to get away from work.

When I did work in an office, about 80% of the time.

Work is about a dozen steps from my bed unless I want to work on one of the laptops downstairs. Or, I could work at the coffee shop with wireless.

I did ride yesterday in about 19 or 20 degree weather with a ten to fifteen mph north wind. There's a chance for single digits this week so I may get out just to see what it's like.

Commuting is fun!

I ride to work as often as possible. Mostly 2 lanes and secenic. Approx 31 miles each way. Good way to start the day off, and if you had a crappy day then a good way to relax before I get home. Have you noticed that you never see a motorcycle in from of a psychologists office.

I'm on the road locally for work and can drive from 0-60+ miles per day. Unfortunately, I have too many starts and stops to make it worth putting on and taking off gear.

Additionally, i have customers who would take one look at the bike (andthe BMW logo) and automatically assume I am ripping them off, therefore making way too much money. Stupid, I know...but still the way it is. :violin

Tracy

Every day the roads are clear, 20 miles each way. Soft briefcase in one sidecase, lunch in the other. I ALWAYS arrive with a smile, at work and at home.

40 miles one way along one of the greatest scenic byways in the US. Hell yes I commute. Whenever the weather allows. Usually 4 days a week from April through October. The rest of the year is snow.

When I can, 100 miles round trip by cage. When I ride it is a bit longer as I have a tendency to take the scenic route home.

When I commuted, I rode the bike nearly all the time, rain or shine. In fact, my last commute job was only 2 miles from my house -- through 10 signals. I found a nice 12 mile route down by the lake that had 2 signals, and mostly rode that way.

When I lived in LA, I commuted to Santa Monica from Northridge, about 25 miles. Sometimes I'd take the backroads, sometimes the freeway. (It was about the same amount of time either way.)

One thing that was very interesting, however. When I'd ride the freeway home, there was a particular stretch coming into an interchange, that was down a fairly steep hill, the freeway was 6 lanes wide, and there was a street exit as well. The traffic was always crazy, with people waiting to the last minute to dive over into one of the three right lanes that were exiting somewhere. I was always supremely focused about everyone around me at this time. And yet... whatever programming problem I'd been pondering at work before I left, the solution would pop into my head at this very moment. I could almost count on this phenomenon!
:dunno

Almost every day...

...spring through snowfall. My commute is 40 miles each way. I think it is one of the best ways to stay on top of your game, skillwise. I'm cautious and ride a variety of road types, including 10 miles of interstate. I deal with congestion, maniacs and distracted drivers but it keeps me alert. Commuting accounts for about 10K of the 25 I do in a year and is some of the most enjoyable riding I do. There's nothing like unwinding on a nice ride after a hard day's work. I have 5 bikes and swap them off. I rationalize owning so many by thinking that the average rider only rides 5K each year and I do 5 times as much. :)

I commute almost every day - about 20 miles each way. The only time I don't is when there may be ice on the road or in heavy rain. I generally stay off the freeway, but in Dallas, even the "back roads" are three lanes each direction. It scared the heck out of me at first, but I've gotten used to it. If I didn't commute, I'd miss out on riding 40 miles a day.

I don't ride the bike to work in the rain, even though the ride is very short. Just would rather not. I used to have to ride in the rain, now that I don't have to (because now I have a car too), I don't. I also don't ride to work when I have to go to Costco after work. Costco is near to work, and I usually end up buying more there than could fit on the bike.

Other than that, I ride to work and have a nice motorcycle parking area where I can leave the bike covered and safe at the front of the building. :thumb

35 miles each way... I like to ride to work anytime the weather's dry and it's above 35 F. It's so nice to see my bike in the parking lot where my car normally resides.

I took a ride down to a customer site in Virginia last summer to do some training on a piece of equipment; parked in the "motorcycle" lot with the HD's... Everyone knew it was mine, and they were a lot more interested in learning about the machine once they knew we had riding in common.

Goes to the saying, "it doesn't matter what you ride it matters that you ride."

Back