• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do you give children a ride?

I was about 6 years old when my uncle gave me my first ride. I can remember it still. We did not ride on a road, but rather rode around my Grandpop's nearby farm. I recall that we came to a muddy stretch and he had me stay on the seat while he pushed the bike across that little bit. I had a great time!

From that moment on I was hooked.

I've given several nieces and nephews rides on various bikes. Sometimes their mom (my wife's younger sister) would hold the kid (when they were 5 or 6) and we would ride around the block. At the time I was riding a HD Electra Glide and the passenger was pretty secure in the seat. Everyone was wearing a helmet (we used small sized helmets for the kids - I think that they had a go-kart and had the helmets for that contraption).

More recently I took a 10 year old nephew for a ride on my Triumph Tiger with the saddle bags and rear case mounted for support. Next we rode on the R60/6. He liked the R60/6 best. The key for the first ride is to go fairly slow in low traffic areas. It isn't necessary to go very far for an impression to be made.

I've had the parents use a camera or video camera to record the first ride. In the case of the 10 yr old nephew, I integrated the first ride video clip with some other weekend activities, i.e., going to a nearby historical "working farm", going to an Ohio State football game, and going to a nearby park to play on the monkey bars and what-ever that sort of stuff is called now-a-day. I made them a 10 minute video with music and effects to capture the various activities. I hope that he will recall the time fondly many years from now as I do from my first ride with my uncle.

Well, sort of...

I've only taken two people for a ride on the MC. My Mom and my Aunt Kathy. Mom is 78 yrs old and has two artificial knees and an artificial shoulder. I gave her a ride to the cemetery where my Uncle, a lifelong BMW rider, was being buried. My Aunt, who is in her 60's, rode behind me on the way home from the funeral -- 30 miles of country roads. My Uncle and she had once ridden across the U.S. on his K75 and it was quite emotional for her to get on a bike again. I had a FirstGear jacket, FF helmet, and gloves for them to wear.

It was good o go out with Mom and she really enjoyed it as did Aunt Kathy. I, on the other hand, did not enjoy it at all. I was hypervigilant, extremely cautious, and sweating like crazy the entire time. I almost dumped the bike once as a consequence of traveling so slowly over a graveled side road.

My wife absolutely refuses to ride with me under any circumstances.

There is at least one sane person in my family.

Frequently....

I started my youngest son at 7, which was when I "re-entered" the world of motorcycling. He always wore a helmet, jacket, and boots. I used to bring him back and forth to his summer day camp, which was about a 40 mile round trip. He loved it.

I also give rides to each of my daughters. They have jackets and helmets as well. My youngest daughter (now 19) enjoys it the most, and really wants to ride on her own.

I've not had a problem finding gear for kids, it's available online, as well as any dealer who sells gear.

I don't know enough kids for this to be an issue.

The only child I know well enough is my best friend's daughter, who is 9. She lives 800 miles away so opportunity doesn't really knock. She did enjoy sitting on my bike during a visit back in 2006. Here she is giving her Pop a 'ride' on The BatBike:

124569997-M.jpg

I would be honoured to give her a ride sometime, but as of her last visit she was too small to reach the pegs- plus there is the protective-gear issue. But if safe conditions can be met, I'd be more than happy to do it and I don't think her dad would trust anybody BUT me to give her a ride (for that matter, I'm the only person he trusts enough to get himself on a bike with!).
This could change though. Her dad wants a bike. He's too poor right now, following several years of job-trouble and a couple of divorces, but the desire is there. He dreams of a Triumph Thruxton, but he likes BMW too since I'm so enthusiastic about them. He could wind up giving his daughter the first ride after all- but Uncle Veg will be ready and willing, should the opportunity arise.

Where might a guy find riding gear for the younger crowd such as a 10 yr old boy?

Just use Motocross gear available in lots of sizes. When my son was young I would dress him in jeans, work boots, his helmet, goggles, his moto shirt, pads and sometimes chest protector.

I have never been fond of giving my children or my grandchildren a ride on my motorcycle. I hope they will get excited about cycles someday, but I can wait until they are old enough to weigh the risks themselves.

Am I being a wimp? What are your thoughts?

My nepew won a raffle at the Honda dealer when my brother bought a generator. He chose a helmet, "so he could ride with uncle Tom." When he visits we go for a ride, with full consent of dad. He's big enough to be legal on all the bikes, so I can't think of a reason to not do it.

It's not like we're out doing wheelies. We just take a spin around town or into the country.

You betcha

Yes, with all the gear. My wife and I are taking our 11 and 13 year old to Alaska then heading down to Yellowstone and then over to Gillette. I understand the reason why folks don't but I also know that they will have memories of this trip that they will never forget.

It has never been much of an issue in my immediate family. Although my dad never rode before I started (when I was 35; so he would have been over 60 at the time he briefly owned/rode a Hondamatic), both my younger brothers rode from about 15 (off-road until licensed) and their kids all rode 2-up with their fathers or even (my two nephews) their own motorbikes from the age of about four. Always helmeted and dressed properly.

My own now-10-y-o daughter took her first very short ride (never leaving the parking lot or getting out of first gear) at about age 3. She got on the rear seat of my Shadow at age 5 for a handful of slow rural (we live outside of town) rides and finally allowed herself to be seen by her peers on her very last day of kindergarten. I remembered that I'd been offering to take her to school for several months, but she thought it would be too 'embarrassing'. Now, after seeing her schoolmates' reactions that day, she knows better. We ride fairly regularly; maybe once a week during the warmer months.

She had one of her cousins' 50cc bikes available for awhile but only rode it once and startled herself with the throttle. I do not know if she will want to ride solo in the future, but for now, she enjoys 2-up and is looking forward to getting the 'new' ebay Corbin on in place of the stock R100 seat.

can you reach the pegs?

I'd told my son he couldn't ride with me till he could reach the pegs. When he could we went to the local generic m.c. shop and found a full face helmet that fit, and I took him to the regular Monday night "Chi Reg' Hot Dog Ride"...less than a mile from the house. I was nervous as a cat. After we parked and people came by to admire my new/old airhead, he kept one hand on the tail and leaned on it to let everyone know it was "his."

The following year we found a jacket w kevlar pads and gloves at family riding, mentioned above. We've been out on the expy and touched 70 mph, but it's only a mile from the entrance ramp to exit,, and on a Sunday morning when traffic was very light. I drive very conservatively, which to me means "extra smooth." Nobody likes bonking the front of their helmet against the back of the pilot's.

He seems to have caught my caution, but I can't wait for him to catch my enthusiasm for riding and rallyes, and race tracks, and camping. And for seeing the world from the seat of a motorcycle.

As for other people's kids....no way. It's too much responsibility.

My 10 year old son Eric is the BEST riding partner I could ever have. He's been on rides up to 7 hours one way up to Vermont, and being able to share an experience like that with him is priceless. I bought my 1982 Suzuki brand new in '82, and packed it away in the corner of my garage almost to the day my wife got pregnant. Didn't even look at the bike under wraps for almost 9 years. My son (and his three younger sisters, grew up with nothing more than curiosity of what was in the bag in the corner). In early 2007 I put that bike back on the road and also purchased my 2002 BMW R1200C. Then it was time for some long-distance riding. My son has a DOT full faced helmet, and protective riding gear that I bought from www.babybiker.com in the UK. His fully armored and expandable gear cost as much as my Olympia and TourMaster gear, and offers equal protection. Gloves, boots and warm undergarments round off the gear. My wife and I BOTH made the decision to let him ride. I know my abilities, and thus far have not had any collisions or tasted asphalt. My hope is that we never will. I can't predict accidents, but I can't shelter my son from the shear joy of riding. He's completely addicted now, and I can't take that away from him. He's ridden with me in 5 hour downpours, 20 degree weather, and takes everything in stride like a champ. He can hold up a bike related conversation with any adult, and he's destined to be a multiple bike owner soon enough. I love my kid, love riding with him, and don't ride any differently with or without him. This way I'm consistent in my riding habits, and am as safe as I can be for both of us. I can only pray that if something bad happens, his gear will protect him as much as mine will protect me. I've discussed with him, what to try and do if we ever go down, and aside from a 10 year old taking an MSF classs, that's the best I think I can do. Just touring around the country and sharing this experience with him has made us so close. I only wish my dad and I had something this passionate in common when I was growing up. You're all certainly entitled to your opinions, and I respect that. As a matter of fact, my local BMW club won't even allow me to bring Eric with us on club rides, as they don't want to be around if anything happens, and they would feel responsible. This has been a bone of contention between me and the club for a very long time, and I've chosen my son over the club rides almost always. I hope when, and if, I get too old and feeble to ride, he'll remember these times, and bungee me on the back of HIS bike! Well that's my 2 cents anyway.

dadanderic.jpg

eric1.jpg

GraftonVillageCheese.jpg

The2LarrysatEquinox.jpg

eric-bmw.jpg

Only you can answer that one... I personally have never given either one of my kids, or anyone for that matter, a ride on any of my motorcycles. The responsibility is too great. My son (now 23) has his own, and refuses to give a ride anyone as well.

I agree, the responsibility is too great. I'm also a new rider so, I don't want anyone even in path when I'm trying to take my R1100RT off it's center stand. No, I'm not that bad but I would feel horrible if anything happend to anyone especially a child. Ride safe!!!! Ziphyr :thumb

My 10 year old son Eric is the BEST riding partner I could ever have. He's been on rides up to 7 hours one way up to Vermont, and being able to share an experience like that with him is priceless. I bought my 1982 Suzuki brand new in '82, and packed it away in the corner of my garage almost to the day my wife got pregnant. Didn't even look at the bike under wraps for almost 9 years. My son (and his three younger sisters, grew up with nothing more than curiosity of what was in the bag in the corner). In early 2007 I put that bike back on the road and also purchased my 2002 BMW R1200C. Then it was time for some long-distance riding. My son has a DOT full faced helmet, and protective riding gear that I bought from www.babybiker.com in the UK. His fully armored and expandable gear cost as much as my Olympia and TourMaster gear, and offers equal protection. Gloves, boots and warm undergarments round off the gear. My wife and I BOTH made the decision to let him ride. I know my abilities, and thus far have not had any collisions or tasted asphalt. My hope is that we never will. I can't predict accidents, but I can't shelter my son from the shear joy of riding. He's completely addicted now, and I can't take that away from him. He's ridden with me in 5 hour downpours, 20 degree weather, and takes everything in stride like a champ. He can hold up a bike related conversation with any adult, and he's destined to be a multiple bike owner soon enough. I love my kid, love riding with him, and don't ride any differently with or without him. This way I'm consistent in my riding habits, and am as safe as I can be for both of us. I can only pray that if something bad happens, his gear will protect him as much as mine will protect me. I've discussed with him, what to try and do if we ever go down, and aside from a 10 year old taking an MSF classs, that's the best I think I can do. Just touring around the country and sharing this experience with him has made us so close. I only wish my dad and I had something this passionate in common when I was growing up. You're all certainly entitled to your opinions, and I respect that. As a matter of fact, my local BMW club won't even allow me to bring Eric with us on club rides, as they don't want to be around if anything happens, and they would feel responsible. This has been a bone of contention between me and the club for a very long time, and I've chosen my son over the club rides almost always. I hope when, and if, I get too old and feeble to ride, he'll remember these times, and bungee me on the back of HIS bike! Well that's my 2 cents anyway.

dadanderic.jpg

eric1.jpg

GraftonVillageCheese.jpg

The2LarrysatEquinox.jpg

eric-bmw.jpg

What a way to grow up. Sounds cool. You have done a good job.

As a matter of fact, my local BMW club won't even allow me to bring Eric with us on club rides, as they don't want to be around if anything happens, and they would feel responsible. This has been a bone of contention between me and the club for a very long time, and I've chosen my son over the club rides almost always.

now there's a man who has his priorities in order. :thumb

Unfortunately, I still think it sucks that I even have to prioritize this. Most of the club members are older than I am, and are a fairly conservative bunch of folks. I like them very much, but disagree with their policies, which I wasn't aware of until after I joined the club. They worry that my son might fall asleep on the bike during long rides, or that the group will have to ride slower for me to ride safely to keep up with them. The opposite is true; my kid has more stamina than I do, and I actually prefer to follow the pack and see the group and the road unfold ahead rather than lead, as when I lead, I find myself looking back in my mirrors to see where everyone else is, and actually find myself "driving for them", rather than for myself. I've told them over and over again, that my son is MY responsibility, not theirs, and they have no right to make moral judgements and policies about someone else's family, but to no avail. Last year, out of many club-sponsored rides, I maybe went on two. I'd much rather spend the day riding with my son of my own free will, than with the club, who doesn't want my kid around (or any kids for that matter). Its not a good feeling spending the day riding with your buddies, then trying to give all the great ride reports to your 10 year old son who missed everything, for no good reason. Funny thing is though, I have a bunch of Harley friends, that own both old and new bikes, and they have no issues whatsoever if I want to bring my son with me on their club rides. Is it just that HOG guys are less conservative, are more family-oriented, or just don't care? My feeling is that while biking is an individual effort, it can be a very worthwhile family activity and should be treated as such. There's a lot of country out there, and what better way for a kid to experience it, than on the back of his dad's bike? Better than wasting his life at the mall, watching Sponge Bob, or playing video games. Somebody has to continue the tradition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmanli
As a matter of fact, my local BMW club won't even allow me to bring Eric with us on club rides, as they don't want to be around if anything happens, and they would feel responsible. This has been a bone of contention between me and the club for a very long time, and I've chosen my son over the club rides almost always.

Find a new club. :bar

I would take my child on a ride, but no further than around the country (and maybe parts of Canada) :D

But seriously, I would not take out a child with whom I have only a passing relationship with. I do let my neices and nephews sit on the bike and wear the helmets. (and this makes their parents nervous) But I have no idea how they would behave for a ride.
I think any child needs to be able to reach the pegs, have a proper fitting helmet and some safety gear before hoping on the back.

Two nieces enjoyed sitting on the K75 at Halloween
1572025925_949d17821e_o.jpg

Vermont Trip 2005
2104458340_91e419b079_o.jpg

Point well taken Gail. I'd never take anyone (not just a child-adults included) on any ride, without first knowing their ability to be a good, safe passenger. After 26 years, I think I personally would be the WORST passenger anyone could ever have. As you can see below, I have several more (dilemmas) coming up over the next few years to deal with when it comes to who rides with daddy. (Shotgun's waiting behind the front door, too!)

KidsandtheBMW.jpg

I have traveled all over the country with my children as passengers. Hallie and Tyler couldn't even touch the footpegs of the K75, so we put some Triumph footpegs high-up on the frame for them.

Today, all three of my children are riders: Chris - AKA Rasbutan - now owns 2 BMWs and rides all the time. Second son Tyler is a little more sane, and rides his F650 only when the temperatures are above freezing. And Hallie just sold her Buell and hopes to own a 650 this summer.

Hands down, traveling with my kids when they were little was the best bonding time a parent could ask for. And they had some GREAT adventures with Mom, too.

Back