• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do you give children a ride?

RJM2096

I have never been fond of giving my children or my grandchildren a ride on my motorcycle. I hope they will get excited about cycles someday, but I can wait until they are old enough to weigh the risks themselves.

Am I being a wimp? What are your thoughts?

I ponder that about giving anyone a ride. It's an awesome responsibility, and if something bad were to happen, it sort of doesn't matter who's fault it is.

If you never give a child a ride, they won't have the fun of riding on a bike.
If you never give a child a ride, nothing bad will happen to them on a motorcycle.

My dad used to ride me around on his Honda CB750. We got hit once, knocked down, and I hurt my leg, but nothing broke.

Not much of an answer to your question. It plagues me as well. . . .

We've been giving ours rides occasionally since she was 18mos old. Its the only time we can get her to behave and pay attention. :laugh

Only you can answer that one... I personally have never given either one of my kids, or anyone for that matter, a ride on any of my motorcycles. The responsibility is too great. My son (now 23) has his own, and refuses to give a ride anyone as well.

Miss Lillie got a stoke suit for x-mas
I see rides to school in her future

My 14 year old daughter rides with me, and though I feel a huge responsibility, I'm glad she goes with me. She wears the proper gear and I definitely go slower than I do when I'm solo, but I do feel there's a risk. I think life has risks and some I'm willing to take and others I'm not. I think it's a decision each person has to make and I thought about it for a long time - so far, so good, knock on wood.

Define children. My 17 year old Niece who wants to go "faster!" Faster"

Is she considered a child in her borrowed ATGATT?

yes -- but with conditions

I will take kids riding on the following conditions:

1. permission from their parents.
2. they must be well behaved or I won't even make the offer.
3. they must be able to reach the rear foot pegs comfortably. (I think this one is law in some states).
4. they wear helmet, gloves, long pants, boots, & eye protection if full face helmet is not available. (for the helmet, nothing less than 3/4 is acceptable).
5. they follow my instructions for being a good passenger to the letter or they are off as soon as possible safely with the knowledge I may never offer again.

once my kids, three of them, got big enough to reach the pegs and fit a helmet I often gave them a ride, pick them them from school or friends or babysitters, They loved to ride on the back. Never went on any extended rides with them young kids get to antsy for that. Once they reached teenage years, they would ride farther, but just around town. I never worried that much about the "risks",but for me motorcycles have always been just another form of transportation, more economical and the fact they are a ton more fun is just an added bonus. Part of that attitude comes from the fact I have been riding since I was 15. As long as they behaved and didn't goof off while riding they rode with me quite a bit. And of course they loved the looks on their friends faces!

RM

i started riding on my dad's Suzuki 550 when i was about 4 or 5, he sold it when i was 8 or so. i don't want to say it encouraged me to ride later in life, but i was certainly used to it and it didn't scare me to try.

do what YOU are comfortable with though, you're the one in control.

My son rode with me around the yard as a little guy. When he got bigger I would take him on the HD around town. The thing I really had to watch out for is that he would sometimes fall asleep. He always loved the the time we spent on the bike, at 23 still mentions it often. He has been riding his own bike since he was 10. So I am very happy I took him on rides - great memories for both of us. For me it was great but do what you have to do.

I learned to ride so we could take our two kids with us on motorcycle adventures.
Some of our family's most fun times were the two week vacations we took together.

And I'd give my nieces and nephews rides. 'Do you want to go fast or slow?" I'd ask them.
"A short ride or a long ride?' And they'd each come back with the adrenaline of our shared adventure.

And now my grandsons love to ride. All the gear all the time.

Such huge grins!!

Such wonderful memories to share.

Voni
sMiling

Both of my daughters grew up riding with Dad My oldest (now 23) did her saddle sore 1000 at 15, passenger of course. They would argue over who was going with Dad on one of his camping trips (grades had a lot to do with it). They met a lot of the same people I now call freinds, i met because of motorcycles. Neither one rides their own bike now (our choice), they have plenty of time for that.
I rode a freinds daughter home from dinner one night and was horrified, never again.
Now the little man rides (1st G-son) only in the neighborhood. His mom couldn't wait, I think he likes it too.

My wife rides some too.

Attachments

• P1000271 (Small).JPG
    P1000271 (Small).JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 488
Last Spring I took my (then) 19 y.o. daughter for her first passenger ride. Two months later she and her 17 y.o. brother had their MC endorsement after passing the State weekend course.

Do I feel safe with her riding on public roads? Well, she is a Cat 3 bicycle road racer (about to get her Cat 2) and has been in races where the pack is doing 50+ mph on downhill sections wearing a helmet and cycling clothing. I figure that she is safer wearing a FF helmet and armored clothing at 50 on the MC.

Maybe she will give ME a ride when I am too old to do it myself.

John

I haven't given anyone a ride in 15 or 20 years (gave my teeenage daughter a ride around the block). Even though I have ridden about 40 years without an accident, I don't want to put anyone at risk other than myself.

I believe it is a very personal decision that deserves a lot of thought/consideration. With that in mind, we take family motorcycle trips to rallies with children that are currently 10 and 11. We have been taking trips together for about 3-4 years or so. We have full riding gear for everyone. For some trips, we take the sidecar and for others we take two-wheelers. Motorcycling and rallies have become very important family activities for us, but I understand that others may not reach the same decision.

I started taking my son to bike nights when he was 6, and to his first rally at 7. He was ten when we rode to the National at Escanaba, and 14 the first time we rode to Sturgis. From 14 until he was 18, he wouldn't get on the back of a bike, but when he graduated from high school, I gave him a CX500 as a graduation present. He rode it to Sturgis with me, soloed on the trip home, and took the bike with him to college. He now rides a /5 and a CL350.

ATGATT for Youngins?

Where might a guy find riding gear for the younger crowd such as a 10 yr old boy?

I have never been given a ride as a youngster although I wanted one, who wouldn't?? However now that I ride myself, I appreciate the fact that I was never given one simply because of the awesome responsibility you as a rider have for your passenger. This even more so if they are very young. I did have a passenger a few years back as he would not have been safe to ride on his own :bottle :bottle and it was for me a bit nerve wrecking. My hat's off to those who do give rides and ride two up :bow :bow

Back