• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cold Weather Gear

groeger

I'm looking to ride in cold weather down to 15 degrees and is water proof (but not on the same day). What's the recommendd uppper wear without electric? Also, I want to be able to wear in warmer weather as well.

Thanks.

For those kinds of low temps you really want an electric jacket liner if you are going to be out very long. The alternative is to have multiple clothing layers and outside garments that stop air penetration. Start with a wicking layer next to the skin. Check out the First Gear offerings for jackets and over pants. You will also want a thin balaclava and Fog City face shield liner so you can shut your helmet.

Well if the Rounder Website hadn't gotten hacked again today, I would post some of the info from there. The key is layers and fleece. Plus you want items that do not lose their insulating properties once they get wet, it just sucks.

i'm gonna move this over to gear, it should see more responses there :wave

groeger said:
I'm looking to ride in cold weather down to 15 degrees and is water proof (but not on the same day). What's the recommendd uppper wear without electric? Also, I want to be able to wear in warmer weather as well.

Thanks.

I don't think it's possible to accomplish your goal (I know it isn't for me). A good textile jacket with an electric liner, electric gloves, insulated pants, and a helmet with chin and nose guard will get me through the cold. With warmer weather, I can strip out the liners, zip open the vents, and deal with the heat.

I personally think that electrics make it possible to carry what you need for any weather situation.

I used to do it all the time in Chicago, downtown to far-north or NNW side. During the winter of 78/9 as a messenger on a suzuki GS 750, than through 1980-2004 not a messenger mostly on 78 R100 or an 84 R100RS... If it didn't snow in the AM I rode downtown and whatever happened happened on the way back. Aprox. 8 miles/ avg 30 minutes each way w/o snow 1 hour w/snow

FF Helmet w/ a fabric "neck gator"
Thinsulate parka w/minimal collar & optional fleece liner. A thick collar makes it hard to turn your head w/FF Helmet on.
GORE TEX rainpants over jeans.
I used to have a pair of "Vetter' things that went over the handelbars (like giant Mittens fixed to the handelbars) now just good kinda loose fitting ski gloves.

check out sierratradingpost.com they have some great deals on winter outer wear

The gear depends on where your going and what your riding

I have a 2001 R1150GS. The electric liners I'm looking at have various current requirements. Does anyone now what the max current I can go with on my bike? From what I can see, the 2004 and newer models have a 5 amp max. I should also note that I have PIAA lights.

Thanks.

I believe you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I ride a 99 R1100R and wear the gerbing jacket liner and glove liners and don't have any trouble pulling enough current to run everything. I don't have auxillary lights.

I hate to go all "name brand" on you, but I was in the right place at the right time last year not once but twice.

I scored a deal on a Rallye II closeout and just happened to be in the dealership the day they were closing out a "windstopper" type jacket. I looked in the Rider Apparel catalogue and can't find it so I can't give you a name, but since I bought the "Phase Change" undies, this jacket, and the Rallye II, I haven't used electrics once. Granted, I live in Las Vegas, but it does get cold here, and I regularly ride at elevations in Southern Utah and close to the Grand Canyon.

I'm thinking with all this AND the Widder, I could ride to 20 degrees in comfort.

Oh yeah, I highly recommend Bikers Comfort in Action Windstopper Balaclava.
http://www.adventuremotogear.com/images/hi-res/BCAwindplus.jpg?mgiToken=29HJXUUF

groeger said:

Thanks.

I have the Gerbing jacket liner and gloves. With this, you can ride in a sweatshirt....which gives you far greater mobility. My coat is Cortech, and not as water proof as I'd like. I have a pair of first gear pants (looks and feels just like snow pants) that are warm and waterproof. I wear a half barclava(just covers my chin, nose mouth) under my helmet.

I've ridden in temps around 15F and not been cold at all. This damn global warming has kept me from entering the KHOF on the rounders site.

I could wear this gear in the summer too, but when its hot the gear is too much. I bought mesh pants and a jacket this summer which work wonderfully.

:bikes

Rasbutan said:
I have the Gerbing jacket liner and gloves. With this, you can ride in a sweatshirt....which gives you far greater mobility.

Speaking about sweatshirts, I got a polartec fleece one from Cabelas a couple of weeks ago and haven't taken it off yet, except for laundry and sleep.

I almost like it better than the Gerbing.

One item that hasn't been mentioned is a fleece neck gaitor from Schampa Technical Wear. Even with all the right layers and electrics, if you have one small spot exposed, it's like a blow torch of cold air hitting one spot. These go right up to the bottom of your full faced helmet and really keep you warm around your neck. I like the shorter style over the longer one offered since it fits easier.

The first time I saw this product was at the national motorcycle show and I would say their products tend to be geared towards the cruiser market.

There's nothing more entertaining than the cruiser guys who refuse to wear anything on their head or body in the summer trying to improvise something to keep them warm in cold weather. The leather face mask with two eyes and a nose cut out is a favorite.

I ride year-round here in Seattle, so I'm an expert on the "waterproof" side of the equation. It's been a bit nippy this week, so I have some experience with the cold.

First of all, address the bike. Do you have as large of a windscreen as you can get for your model? If you do, and you're still exposed, there are all sorts of after-market farkles you can add to your screen and fairing to direct even more wind and rain away from you. Dry and (relatively) calm air is much warmer than wet and "wind-chill factor" air.

Consider G/S-style hand protectors. These - especially in conjunction with heated grips - will make ALL the difference in keeping your hands warm and dry (assuming you have decent gloves).

As for the rider, I wear a Roadcrafter suit, which is perfectly fine for me down to about 45 degrees, wearing it over street clothes. Below 45 and I add either a 200, 300, or 400 weight fleece "windstopper" jacket - depending on the severity of the cold and the length of my trip. My commute is 20 miles each way, most of it on interstate highway, so if traffic isn't too bad, I'm going 60-70 mph in 25-35 degree weather. My 400 weight "windstopper" fleece (by Patagonia) has a super plush collar that, in conjunction with the Roadcrafter, seals off my neck and keeps cold air from going down the suit. I never have any trouble with my legs getting cold, but then I haven't done any sub-freezing lengthy touring, either. I always wear Aerostich Combat Touring lite boots, which do a great job of protecting my feet and lower leg from the cold and rain. The colder it gets, the more layers of socks I wear. Again, no problems so far on the 30-60 minutes my commute takes each way...

I realize I've just suggested you add about $500 worth of gear to your bike and about $1000 worth of gear to your body, so feel free to do what you can afford to do - but cold hands, cold feet, and a cold body lead you to make poor decisions, decrease your reaction times and ability to control your bike, and last but not least, impact your comfort level. It all depends on how much you're willing to invest in your own safety and comfort.

I suppose if I lived in a colder climate, I'd investigate electric clothing, but here in Seattle I'm much more concerned about water than I am the cold.

Three things. Layers, no cotton, preparation. Can't beat a wool sweater and a poly shell. Cotton will absorb moisture and suck the heat right out of you. Even if you have electric vest, gloves etc., have a plan when the cord breaks or the alternator quits.

Leather

Leather stops the wind cold (no pun, really). Us old Harley boys have that one thing going for us, a closet or cubbyhole full of leather. I wear it as my last layer, right out on top, and it really does shut it down. In this picture, I had 5 layers on top, 4 layers on bottom, and 300 miles to go at 35??. Note the open helmet. I can't agree enough with whoever said look at the bike first. Get a big window, get handguards (mine are on the way from Bob's). Knock the wind off as best you can with bike parts, then layer for the rest.
My .02

Attachments

• PHJon96RSL.jpg
    PHJon96RSL.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 526
Widder for 20+ years

I wear Belstaff Jacket and pants with liners. It's a two piece suit that allows for the liners to be removed. In warmer weather you can go to jeans (but not as safe). It's also waterproof.

I keep warm with a Widder vest (without coller), but have both, under the Mercury Jacket (belstaff). Widder golves and long underwear under pants, under BMG pants. This combination works at 26 degrees going 85 MPH, not sure just how cold that is with the wind.

ride a R1150RT '03 so there is some protection. I've also changed the windshield to the Vstream and am very happy with it.

Once you go electric you'll never go back...

out for now...

Ksmith57

Back