• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

CO2 or compressor?

Always a compressor. Not much leeway with co2 cartridges........You can always test the theory the next time you have a tire changed.
OM

I had CO2 ..the large bottles...had a nail in my rear tire...Pluged it ..emptyed all 4 bottles and had only about 20 lbs...enought to get to a gas station with a pump..lucky it was not too far.

even since I've carried a small compression....not much bigger that the 4 larger bottles....can keep the tires at the proper pressure no problem.

On a couple of bikes, I use the stop-n-go Kit with CO2 cartridges. I have added a better holder from a bicycle shop that allows you to start/stop flow. On a 170/60-17 four cartridges get me around 36psi
The only big reason is space on these bikes.No side cases, limited under seat space, small tail pack.

On the long distance bikes a compressor resides and is used regularly as mentioned in the other thread. I help stranded folks more than myself...mostly:violin The kit with a flow thru gauge doesn't take too much space for me , especially when weather is coming and you want a dependable air source...sometimes the cartridge method will not get you rolling if you run short of them.

Make sure your compressor plugs into something on your bike! Have pulled up,with folks staring at cigarette plug or jumper cable with no battery access, or the SAE two prong. My Best Rest Cyclepump used to trip the onboard socket on my RT. I now have SAE's on all bikes.

On my Airhead, I call H or ask her to ride home to bring the trailer:laugh I carry tubes, but no fun unless no choice! Ditto on the F650GS thumper.

A compressor that's fairly small is the Moto Pump Air Shot.
It's a little slower than my Slime pump but I like the small size.
If you remove the red cap on the Air Shot there's a schrader valve so you can check the pressure with a gauge as it's pumping.
There used to be a discount in the Vendor section of ADV for this pump.

Slime & AirShot MotoPump (2).JPG

Slime & AirShot MotoPump (1).JPG

image002.jpg

Long story short. I had 3 cartridges. Voni had 3 cartridges. It took 4 to find the leak. She went next door and bought a compressor. The longer version is quite humorous actually.

Long story short. I had 3 cartridges. Voni had 3 cartridges. It took 4 to find the leak. She went next door and bought a compressor. The longer version is quite humorous actually.

The cute kit that came with the 1100S made me laugh at first attempt with the Kirby Vacuum style hose and the donut plugs...well, did not really laugh until later. It all fit nicely in it's nest though.

I have been carrying a compressor for years, never have used it. I figure I am not going to carry it any longer because of the size, takes up too much space. I have considered the CO2 inflation cartridges. Any insight either way?

I found this thread, probably answered my question. does it really take 7-10 CO2 cartridges to fill a tire??

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?86852-CO2-cartridges-or-air-compressor

Keep the compressor. I carry both, but co2 cartridges will require about 5 or 6 to get to 30 PSI and then hope that there isn’t still a leak. I stripped off the plastic case of a harbor freight compressor. Stuck the working bits into a small Tupperware box and cut the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug off and attached an SAE connector that fits the battery tender pigtail on the bike. I use it in the garage to top up my tires and confirm that it is working.

Keep the compressor. I carry both, but co2 cartridges will require about 5 or 6 to get to 30 PSI and then hope that there isn’t still a leak. I stripped off the plastic case of a harbor freight compressor. Stuck the working bits into a small Tupperware box and cut the 12 volt cigarette lighter plug off and attached an SAE connector that fits the battery tender pigtail on the bike. .

I used one of those for years. Mine was a Walmart pump.
Air Pump.jpg

Looks like the same one I have, but mine is still in the plastic case. I have been thinking of stripping the case off.

I chose a compressor that fits under my seat. 2003, K1200GT. Looks similar to the ones posted but mine has a pressure gauge included. $13

I ride mostly without the panniers. Under the seat fits the compressor perfectly where the tool case is located, plugs, hole enlarger, plug insert tools. I removed the plastic tool case, the charcoal canister, so that provides more room.

I previously created a USB and cigarette connection, so no changes to the electric plug in. I use the bikes battery with motor running.

When / If I travel the country, I would load up specialized tools along with my camping gear in the panniers. For the moment, I don't see a need for my BMW tool kit or CO2.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 11.35.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 11.35.30 PM.png
    405 KB · Views: 675
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 11.35.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 11.35.00 PM.png
    408.9 KB · Views: 701
That’s it, came in a black zipper case. Faster?, I never did a side by side comparison. I keep the BR pump on the ATV due to the “larger” possibilities along with tools to “sew” up a side-wall slice.
The Best Rest has a more precision operating sound, they both have a draw and should be run directly to the battery. I think the Slime unit will work fine for occasional use. I don’t think either will work to mount a stubborn bead (although ganging up two pumps may).

I carry the Slime pump shown in the other photos, in its zipper case. Keeps it all contained and plugs into the Battery Tender pigtail. I replace my string plugs annually. But I ride with my panniers all the time so storage isn't an issue, and I travel a lot. I mostly use it for adjusting pressure until the bead is well and truly seated. To me the idea of CO2 cartridges just doesn't appeal - I'd inevitably be two short no matter how many I carry. I'll run out of battery before I run out of air, though, so a pump is a no-brainer for me.

I have the wee Moto pump but damned if I can't find the bloody air hose! Why would I take it out of the little case and where the hell would I put it? Idiot!

I have the wee Moto pump but damned if I can't find the bloody air hose! Why would I take it out of the little case and where the hell would I put it? Idiot!

The owner will probably mail you one.
When I first got mine the hose was bad. I contacted the owner and he mailed me another hose.

Back