• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Big Anges Summit Park and Dual Core Sleeping Pad

empeg9000

I just got this last night. So I opened up the sleeping bag. Its giant. I took out the sleeping pad and I must admit it not being self-inflating is a little but of a bummer and it probably took me 5-10 minutes to blow it up all the way. I heard people say the blow it up all the way then let a little air out but I think I like it full. It seemed pretty comfortable on the pad and I laid on it about 5 minutes on my side to see if I would get sore and I didn't. The pad slides down into the back of the sleeping bag and becomes the bottom. The bag seems very high quality and the zipper is really nice and has a draft collar that runs along it. The bag is nice and roomy. I can lay on my stomach and stretch my arms out. I can lay on my side and roll around no problem. Plenty of room for my feet to move too. I may have to wear warm socks so I don't get cold feet but you can see they put extra insulation in the foot area. It has an internal pocket up by your head that you can stuff a jacket or whatever to be your pillow.
The hood on it is really nice and you can pull the draw string even with the bag zipped all the way up. My first impression of it is very high and I am glad I got it. I will update the review further when I get a chance to camp in it in April.

Hide-a-bed

So, how much does this set up weigh? And what are the packed dimensions?
Or, do you need a cargo trailer to haul this comfort around from rally to rally?
Inquiring mind....:dunno

Or, do you need a cargo trailer to haul this comfort around from rally to rally?

We have a pair of Big Agnes Lost Ranger +15, along with the sleeping pads. The bag compresses down to about the size of a loaf of bread, perhaps a bit larger, and the sleeping pad folds down to less than the size of a Nerf football.

It's warm and comfy.

As KBasa already noted it packs down quite small. The Summit park is a down 15 degree back and since there is no insultation on the bottom it packs up pretty small. It weighs 3 lbs. The pad packs down to about 5" diameter by maybe 10" long. Lets just say both will lay less and take up about half the room of a conventional bag and thermarest self-inflating pad.

As KBasa already noted it packs down quite small. The Summit park is a down 15 degree back and since there is no insultation on the bottom it packs up pretty small. It weighs 3 lbs. The pad packs down to about 5" diameter by maybe 10" long. Lets just say both will lay less and take up about half the room of a conventional bag and thermarest self-inflating pad.

We selected the Big Agnes stuff, along with a Mountain Hardwear tent because two sleeping bags, two pads and the tent will fit in an RT topcase. :clap

Big Agnes is big enough

I chose a Big Anges Encampment 15 Long as this brand is the roomiest I've tried. Nothing else fits me and allows me to have room to move around. The Big Anges brand was recommended to me at REI. They were nice enough to let me get into several different brands right there. It didn't take long to see what the tall people with broad shoulders would chose. I haven't tried their pad yet.

Thanks for the review, Empeg. I'm in the market for a new bag and am interested in Big Agnes. My use case probably won't extend beyond late Spring/Summer camping. What's the difference between buying one of their "15" bags (like the Summit Park or Lost Ranger) and their "30 or "40" (like the Crystal) rated bags to a person who's generally a warm-sleeper (I kick the covers off all the time)? I understand the cost and weight differential between down and synthetic, but what's the best value?

Thanks for the review, Empeg. I'm in the market for a new bag and am interested in Big Agnes. My use case probably won't extend beyond late Spring/Summer camping. What's the difference between buying one of their "15" bags (like the Summit Park or Lost Ranger) and their "30 or "40" (like the Crystal) rated bags to a person who's generally a warm-sleeper (I kick the covers off all the time)? I understand the cost and weight differential between down and synthetic, but what's the best value?

I got a Summit Park last month with a pad from REI. Main point for me is leg room.

You can unzip the 15??F from the bottom if you need ventilation at higher temps. If you're not going anyplace that gets frosty, go for the higher temp bag.

The thing I like about the summit park is its 80 inches around so I can comfortably sleep on my side. I believe all the park series bags are the same just the temp rating is different and some have synthetic material instead of down. I am sure the summit is down so that they can keep the weight reasonable. The one I got is also 25" wide. I like the extra room myself.

+1 for Big Agnes

I just got my Big Agnes from REI. I don't care what they say about her, I'll be happy to sleep on her;)

I picked up a Big Agnes Storm King 15?? bag from REI this winter, using the one time 20% online discount.
I feel like this bag packs down real small, much smaller than my North Face Cat's Moew 25?? synthetic bag.
Even though it's more bulk, I'll be taking the North Face in the summertime, when I know it won't be below 35??.
It seem's the 15?? bag would be uncomfortable in warm weather..........Yes, I did lay in it in the living room too.
I already have a Thermarest prolite 4 pad's that fit in the bag perfectly.
I can't wait to camp out this spring!

Has anyone slept on both a Therarest and a BA Dual Core pad? Any direct comparisons?

It seem's the 15?? bag would be uncomfortable in warm weather..........Yes, I did lay in it in the living room too.
I already have a Thermarest prolite 4 pad's that fit in the bag perfectly.
I can't wait to camp out this spring!

Has anyone slept on both a Therarest and a BA Dual Core pad? Any direct comparisons?

:p Yeah my wife said I was like a little kid when I got on the floor. I have an older thermarest, on of the 1" ones. There is no contest between but its a lot thinner. I have to give thermarest credit though, I've had that sleeping pad since fall of 1996!

Yes. I've used the standard (green) and thick (blue) Thermarest, and the Big Agnes inflatable insulated air mattress (black). The Big Agnes has the advantage of being both more compact when packed and more comfortable when unpacked. The adjustment of the air is the key for comfort. When you lay down, just let some air out until your body tells you its right.

I kept the blue Thermarest in case the Big Agnes didn't work out; it did.

The H2W drybag stuff system for packing pad and bag no longer applies, and I have to change my strategy. I just need a tiny bag, now.

Fred

Yes. I've used the standard (green) and thick (blue) Thermarest, and the Big Agnes inflatable insulated air mattress (black). The Big Agnes has the advantage of being both more compact when packed and more comfortable when unpacked. The adjustment of the air is the key for comfort. When you lay down, just let some air out until your body tells you its right.

I kept the blue Thermarest in case the Big Agnes didn't work out; it did.

The H2W drybag stuff system for packing pad and bag no longer applies, and I have to change my strategy. I just need a tiny bag, now.

Fred

Thanks for the info. I also use a H2W system, using 1 Med. stuff sack for solo and 2 Med. bags for 2 up camping. I've only briefly was able to play with my new camping gear, but it seems to me I should be able to fit BOTH Therm-a-Rest pads and BOTH the Big Agnes bags in one Medium bag. These bag's do really pack that small compared to standard synthetic bags.
I don't feel like I'll need 2 medium bags for 2 up, and if I can avoid having 2 bags on top of my side cases, that would be great.
Unfourtunatly I'm away from home right now so I can't confirm this, but I plan on taking a short camping trip over the easter holiday, so we'll see soon enough.

To be clear, are you guys talking about the BA Air Core(35??), the insulated air core(15??), or the dual core(0??) when comparing packed size?
If i did get a air core it would need to be the insulated one so it matches the rating on my bag.

To be clear, are you guys talking about the BA Air Core(35??), the insulated air core(15??), or the dual core(0??) when comparing packed size?
If i did get a air core it would need to be the insulated one so it matches the rating on my bag.
I personally was talking about the insulated 15 degree air core.

Back