• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Are you going to Hamburg ? Where are you coming from ?

I will be coming all the way from Cleveland OH, all of 185 miles! I will do my best to turn that into at least 300 on my way there.

Rick G

ALWAYS the loooong way!

Coming from northwest Arkansas to New Hampshire, up to Maine, and then back west across New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York. After that, who knows?

Harrisburg to Hamburg

Looking for riders from Central PA to ride with on the Wednesday before the Rally. Just had my first test run this weekend, rode over to Hamburg PA to camp and begin to work out my needs for the trip.
IMG_20160612_140554_485.jpg

Edgewater Florida

I'll be leaving about a week before the rally. Staying off the interstate as much as possible. I'm thinking about Hwy 219 from lower West Virginia pretty much until I get there. Does any one know this road? Is it ok, too long, too boring, not safe? I want a mountainous ride but faster than the 35mph of the Blue Ridge Parkway..

I'll be leaving about a week before the rally. Staying off the interstate as much as possible. I'm thinking about Hwy 219 from lower West Virginia pretty much until I get there. Does any one know this road? Is it ok, too long, too boring, not safe? I want a mountainous ride but faster than the 35mph of the Blue Ridge Parkway..

The speed limit on most of the BRP is 45mph. Skyline drive is 35mph (and well patrolled).

Welcome to the forums Hal. I see your first post was met with actionable Intel from another member. This is the essence of what makes the forums an excellent resource. I hope to see you all at DAS Rally.

The speed limit on most of the BRP is 45mph. Skyline drive is 35mph (and well patrolled).

Since you're coming up that way to possibly get on the BRP, you should look at possibly an overnight in Eastern TN or Western NC. Plenty of good riding around there...Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, Revenooer 28 etc. BRP is a classic road created during the Depression by CCC workers, aka "The Tree Army."

Coming from northwest Arkansas to New Hampshire, up to Maine, and then back west across New Hampshire, Vermont, and New York. After that, who knows?

Let me know if you need some routing advice. I live in northern VT and have ridden a bit between the Maine border and the western Adirondacks. I have a spare copy of the Butler map of the area you're welcome to borrow; you can return it at the rally.

Tulliver and I will be leaving early Weds for the rally. If you pass thru before then you're welcome to the guest room if you can tolerate sleeping with a couple of golden retrievers.

Pete

219 is decent, I took it in the other direction as far as Elkins, WV last fall and have been on the part south of Elkins previously.
Depending on your need to make time, you can stop off at the Flight 93 Memorial in PA. Also, Kinzua Bridge state park in PA is just a bit off of 219 and an interesting spot to take a break.
Ah, and be careful right after you cross north into NY- the road surface isn't the best and the speed limit drops in the town/village of Limestone and it is enforced.

A nice town to take a break before the final push to Hamburg is Ellicottville. In the winter it's a ski town and the rest of the year it's a nice touristy place to take a ride to.

There are some alternates to 219 north of Springville as it turns into a divided highway just south of there. For example, get off at Rt 39 in Springville and do a quick jink to get on North Cascade Drive which turns into Springville-Boston Road. It runs just to the east of Rt 219.

have a good ride,

Ed

thank You

Since you're coming up that way to possibly get on the BRP, you should look at possibly an overnight in Eastern TN or Western NC. Plenty of good riding around there...Cherohala Skyway, Tail of the Dragon, Revenooer 28 etc. BRP is a classic road created during the Depression by CCC workers, aka "The Tree Army."

I have been all over N. Carolina Cherohala, the tail, BRP and attended the Telico plains rally last year. It is from Winston-Salem north that I'm looking for a grate ride.

Back