• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

17 R1200RT LC in storage 2 years, will not start

mpears53

Hi folks

Due to family issues and Covid my R1200 was put in a storage shed in AZ late 2019, and I've just
now gotten back to using the bike. Bike will not start, just a soft click that comes from the starter
area. The battery seems to be charged however runs down quite quickly. I have ordered a new
battery just in case.

I have siphoned out the old fuel and replaced with new gas, also changed the oil.

Is there anything else I can try while I wait for the new battery?

Bike has 41K kms, about 25K miles.

I appreciate the help.

Mike

***It runs.... NEW battery solved the problem, fired right up.. Yahooo, I'm riding again. Thanks to everyone!

Last edited:
Wait for the battery. My bet is that is all it needs. I have a 2018 RT and if the battery is weak, it won't start.

Do you hook it up to a battery maintainer when parked? The electronics will kill a battery in a couple weeks, or at least to the point where the engine will not start.

PoorUB

I did have a Battery Tender on it for the entire period, less a few power outages.

I did test the battery and first measure, 13.2 V. Second attempt 11.2 V

The check engine indicator is on as is the 'Service' indicator.

New battery arrives tomorrow and hopefully that'll solve the issue.

Graywulff

Yessir, I did put a new battery in the FOB as the old one had been taken out at time of
storage. FOB appears to be working fine

Thanks to you both for your ideas, much appreciated.

Mike

Get the new battery in, put it on the tender for a few hours, get a can of ether (aka starting fluid) and give the in takes a good squirt. push the start button.

Belay the ether (starting fluid). It won’t clear an injector plugged with fuel varnish and has the potential to damage or dislodge intake plumbing should there be a backfire. Save the ether for more suitable tasks, like seating a new, stiff, and recalcitrant tubeless tire…:eek

New battery, fresh fuel treated with Seafoam or BG-44, and it will probably be a runner!

Best,
DeVern

2017 now running, new battery solved the issue. Thanks to everyone.

Belay the ether (starting fluid). It won’t clear an injector plugged with fuel varnish and has the potential to damage or dislodge intake plumbing should there be a backfire. Save the ether for more suitable tasks, like seating a new, stiff, and recalcitrant tubeless tire…:eek

New battery, fresh fuel treated with Seafoam or BG-44, and it will probably be a runner!

Best,
DeVern

It runs..

Back