• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

If you drop your LC GS in deep sand…

GTRider
…there’s a tool you might want in your kit.

Long story short: Last week I dropped my 2018 GS in very fine deep, deep sand—the bike stopped with the handgrip buried in the sand. Once righted, the bike (now not running) would not turn off via the ignition switch and the starter/cutoff switch would not move far enough to either attempt a start nor move to the cutoff position. The battery was then disconnected and the bike trailered home.

Examination at home pointed to a switch assembly and throttle packed full of sand, so both needed removal and cleaning. (Replacements are spendy, around $300 for the switch and $400 for the throttle assembly)

The switch assembly must be removed first, the screw heads are deeply buried out of sight in a plastic tunnel, and the service DVD doesn’t call out the type nor size of bit required for removal. After much trial and error I discovered they are T-9 Torx, which is why this kit is now a permanent addition to my GS toolkit. Useful for glasses and electronics as well, I guess. The switches are sealed microswitches so no giant ziplock bags for catching springs or balls needed—just clean everything so the rocker and push buttons can move freely.

Next, the throttle. Easily removed via one screw, since it’s cable already had to be disconnected to remove the switchgear. It’s a one-piece unit with a cover that looks snapped in, but memories of yanking off the steering wheel of the ‘56 Chev I had in high school, and the subsequent introduction to the concept of “clock spring” and “RTFM before proceeding” made me shy away from popping out the end cover. There is a large weep hole on the bottom of the throttle drum and repeated tapping and shaking resulted in an almond-size pile of grit coming out, and a throttle drum that was smooth and silent in operation. Assembly, as they say, is the reverse order of disassembly tho I note there was no lube on the handlebar and it was left that way.

Connected battery, used GS-911 to reset date and time on the bike and clear adaptations, and the bike fired right up and runs normally. All that’s left is replacing a couple of plastic pieces that BMW uses in some surprising structural ways (like mounting the rear luggage rack to the subframe) and the GS will be back on desert roads.

But, I’d bet a cold one that most folks don’t have a T-9 Torx in their tool roll. That tool, and knowing where it fit, could have effected a roadside clean out and restart…

Guess it ended up not being a short version, sorry!

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
Switches

I too have had switches stop working because we're dirty or dry. I too take them apart and clean them. I always lubricated with silicone o-ring grease. On the road often a switch can be fixed with a good spray of silicone spray lube. Thanks for the post, can do a simple road repair if emissary. Thanks

Back