• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT Won't Start

WaterNSnow
I have a 2010 R1200RT issue that is driving me bonkers!

On an intermittent basis the bike will not start. I might ride 200 miles, stop for lunch, come out afterwards and it will not start. Everything electrical works - key turns on the display, the horn sounds loudly, the parking lights come on - but the start button is just dead. No starter trying to turn, just nothing. If the bike sits for a while (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours) and I try to start it, it starts fine like nothing was amiss.

This condition is extremely intermittent. During last summer's riding season this happened 2 or 3 times. This year I've ridden all season with no problem until last weekend when I stopped for gas and tried to start afterward, and it was dead. I had to leave the bike at the gas station and go back every few hours to try to start it. Finally, late the next day it started.

The bike has a DWA6 alarm system and I'm suspecting that for some reason the alarm activates intermittently and doesn't reset but that's just a guess. So far, I've replaced the battery in the DWA6 (last fall) and installed a new battery in the bike (yesterday) even though the battery seemed fine when it did start. I've also bought a diagnostic device to read the codes in the bike although I haven't learned to use the device yet.

One thing that I noticed when it started during the last incident was that right before it started, using the key fob, I turned on the alarm then turned off the alarm. When turning it off, in addition to the single light flash, I heard a tone from the alarm that I don't remember hearing before. The bike started right up immediately after that.

Can anyone provide any further input on how to troubleshoot this issue? Are there codes in the diagnostic device that I should look for? Is there something else besides the alarm that could be causing this? I hate to spend $500+ for a new alarm module and that not be the problem. I've never used the alarm so I'd problem want to remove it before replacing it.

Thanks all for your help.

Dennis

Usually the diagnosis the a crappy battery, but since you have changed yours, I would start looking at the switches in the side stand and clutch lever. Was the bike in neutral or in gear when this happened?

My 2011 RT had both left and right switches replaced under a recall. Actually neither were acting up, but BMW told dealers to replace them during service. If they replaced one because it was faulty, to replace both at the same time [ no charge ] the starter side was problematic when temps got too high. It affected the contacts in the switch. I've read people have iced that switch and it's worked after it was cooled down.

Check with your dealer based on your VIN number

Since I just put in the new battery, I haven't had a chance to see if the problem is cured. Also due to the intermittent nature it could be a while for the problem to reoccur.

I've tried starting with the bike in neutral, with clutch both pulled in and released and with side stand up and down. All with same result - won't start.

The post about replacing two switches has merit. What two switches are you referring to? I'll check my VIN with my dealer this week.

Thanks all for thought provoking input.

Since I just put in the new battery, I haven't had a chance to see if the problem is cured. Also due to the intermittent nature it could be a while for the problem to reoccur.

I've tried starting with the bike in neutral, with clutch both pulled in and released and with side stand up and down. All with same result - won't start.

The post about replacing two switches has merit. What two switches are you referring to? I'll check my VIN with my dealer this week.

Thanks all for thought provoking input.

I should have stated switch assemblies [ both of mine were replaced and neither was acting up/not working as in left side directionals/HL beam/cruise etc ] and right side turn/starter button etc

Saw BMW was replacing the right one more than the left due to not starting when the switch got overheated in the sun [ and I live in the valley of the sun with temps in the 110-115 range in the summer ]. Took it in, dealer told me they were replacing both sides at that time per BMW's guidance

Back