• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2004 R1150R No Start - Has spark, fuel, turns over, and replaced HES

austin

I have a 2004 R1150R with a current 23,000 miles on it. A few months ago, it began to give me minor issues that turned into a no-start situation.

Problem Background
The first indicator of a problem occurred when I was leaving work. The bike was cold and the "choke" was pulled in all the way in. It struggled to start and died unless I gave it gas. After warming up, the bike did not have any noticeable issues and I was able to make it home.

Two weeks later, I was leaving my home for a ride and the bike died about a mile away and has not started since.

I first tested the following:
All four spark plugs -> Non-consistent spark
Fuel injectors -> visible fuel spray​
Fuses -> All fine​
Relays -> All fine​
Fuel Pump -> I could hear it whirling when the bike was started​
Side Stand -> Side stand was up and the bike was in neutral​
Starter Motor -> I could hear the starter motor. I also removed the cover behind the front wheel to expose the alternator belt. When the bike was trying to start, the alternator belt would move.​
Battery voltage -> New battery with a voltage around 12.9V.​
Kill Switch -> Seemed to be functioning because I could toggle it on and off and hear the fuel pump whirl on whenever kill switch was in "On" position.​

Based on these tests, I assumed that the HES (Hall Effect Sensor) had failed. I removed the sensor and sure enough, one of the two HALL sensors had failed (tested using this).

I replaced the HES with a brand new and tested HES sensor. I reassembled the bike and it still won't start.

I retested the following:
All four spark plugs -> All had spark
Fuel injectors -> Visually see fuel spraying out of both​
Fuel Pump -> Can hear it whirl during start. I can also manually crank the motor and here it start​
All fuses -> Good, tested each for continuity​
All relays -> Good​
Reset Motronic -> Pulled relay 5 for 5 minutes to reset Motronic just in case​
Side Stand -> Was up and bike was in Neutral​

The bike will turn over but will not start :scratch

Does anyone have ideas on what I should test next? I greatly appreciate any help in solving this issue.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Theme here:

Pull, push, bang, blow.

Happens in the same place but at different times.

Poor compression(valves/rings/piston) could be an issue.

Skipped timing chain, skipped cam chain, and on it can go.

Do a compression test, wide open throttle, plugs out, minimum cranking speed of 175 rpm.

Do not condemn your engine if you don't get "book" results.

A compression test is a starting point only.

It's possible to get the timing of the HES just a bit off when reinstalling it, or the crank pulley for the alternator belt (which is where the timing rotor lives). Did that on my bike once and it wouldn't start until I took the pulley off, reinstalled it extra carefully, and torqued the pulley bolt to the right spec.

Spark coils

2004 Test the coil sticks. Pull one and install an extra spark plug in the end. Hold the plug a little off a good ground (Bolt Head). Extend the gap between the plug and ground about an inch to inch and a half while turning over the engine, you should see a good spark jumping across. If you do not see a spark jumping between the plug and ground it's bad. Note you maybe getting a spark jumping at first when at 1/4 to 1/2 inch but it isn't strong enough. Replace both spark coils, they aren't cheap.

Easy test at no cost.

Sounds like you have a timing issue.
You need to confirm that the Hall sensor rotor tang is correctly indexed in the crank slot.
The bolt needs to be torqued to 50nm. If not, the rotor can slip out of time.

Attachments

• Lower pulley parts_resize.JPG
    Lower pulley parts_resize.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 48
Back