• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding Gear at MOA Rally

This year will be my first rally. I am interested in upgrading my riding gear (jacket and pants). I am thinking BMW or Klim. Will there be vendors with a variety there with good deals or should I just order online and wear it there?

Interesting question ... Short answer: yes, of course, there are always several vendors displaying at our Rally who have great gear of all types for sale. Of course there may not be the precise color or size or type you are looking for, but with so many vendors there it is sure you can find (almost) anything you are looking for.

Good luck.

It would seem to me to be a bit risky to attend the MOA Rally with the intention of finding new riding gear. As you can imagine, vendors are a bit limited on how much inventory they can haul to the Rally. Of course, if you're easy to fit you might be more likely to find something (also, more likely to sell out). The vendors at the Rally tend to be quite busy with customers, so the amount of personal attention you receive might be diminished. Probably not a good thing if you're planning to drop some serious cash on gear.

Wouldn't it be better to find your new gear at a local store or online, then break it in as you enjoy it on the way to and from the Rally?

Just my .02 worth, since you asked. :)

It would seem to me to be a bit risky to attend the MOA Rally with the intention of finding new riding gear. As you can imagine, vendors are a bit limited on how much inventory they can haul to the Rally. Of course, if you're easy to fit you might be more likely to find something (also, more likely to sell out). The vendors at the Rally tend to be quite busy with customers, so the amount of personal attention you receive might be diminished. Probably not a good thing if you're planning to drop some serious cash on gear.

Wouldn't it be better to find your new gear at a local store or online, then break it in as you enjoy it on the way to and from the Rally?

Just my .02 worth, since you asked. :)

Sounds more like about a 'buck-fifty' in good advice! :thumb

This year will be my first rally. I am interested in upgrading my riding gear (jacket and pants). I am thinking BMW or Klim. Will there be vendors with a variety there with good deals or should I just order online and wear it there?

I would tend to disagree with the others (guess that's why we have a right to our own opinions)

I have bought several pieces of gear at the rally over the years for two reasons:

1.) I like to support vendors who support our club (I also buy local when I can but my nearest dealer/retailer of any size is 2+ hours away and they have limited stock). I will pay more to support a supporter of our club and/or a local small business.

2.) I'm a touchy/feely buyer. I like to try things on, compare to others, etc. I have found the vendors at the rally to be responsive to my questions, knowledgeable and willing to help.

From the rally you can ship and "excess" equipment home. My only recommendation is that if you buy a helmet and have a long ride home ship the new helmet and wear the old. A few hours into your long ride home isn't the time to find a "hot-spot"

I look forward to making new friends at the rally - come find me and tell me your story. I'm easy to find

I have always come home with new gear! A tent, a jacket, gloves... Yep, come with cash, even get a better deal...

From the rally you can ship and "excess" equipment home. My only recommendation is that if you buy a helmet and have a long ride home ship the new helmet and wear the old. A few hours into your long ride home isn't the time to find a "hot-spot"

Shipping it home gives you more time to try the gear again in your home to be sure the fit is correct.
If you wear the gear on the trip home and decide the fit is not good you can't return it.

I am hoping Aerostich will be there. I'm not sure my jacket is going to make it that long. I need boots, gloves, LED lights, visors, tires...

...hell, i think I better just rent a U-Haul and drive. Haha...

Me, too. Is there a list of vendors somewhere?

I don't want to speak for Aerostich, as they sometimes do a "pop up event," but if they do attend, they will probably only bring a couple sizes/colors of stuff to try on. I don't think they have enough inventory on hand or staff to support a typical "vendor" spot. Even at the last National Rally held in MN, they only had a handful of stuff.

Just ride up to Duluth instead - PM me when you get close and I'll come along :brad

I'd like to see a list of vendors as well. I'm trying to decide on a top case rack bag for my K1600. Wunderlich is a 4 hour ride from my house, and is on the way to the rally, if I make a slight deviation. I'm also interested in Clearwater lights, but the cost is a bit much to get approval from the boss right now. IF she can see things in person, it's an easier sell.

Aerostich will not be there. They do not do rally’s.
They do do pop up events around the country where they have suits to try on and to take your measurements..
They will also work with you over the phone to help you decide what products and sizes are right for you. Great people and great products..

I would check with the vendors at the rally, and I would assume that the local bmw dealers will have some sort of sales going on for MOA members during the rally also. Keep in mind that there are 3 dealers in the area...Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville. There’s also Huntsville Alabama, you might want to check with the dealers and see if they will have presence at the rally. Or wait until the vendor list is published and you’ll know who will be there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I am a big fan of supporting my local dealer, purchasing BMW riding gear requires a 125 mile round trip ride on the interstate through Atlanta's horrid traffic. His inventory of BMW gear is limited, so I often end up with Klim. Not that Klim is second tier or anything (I consider it the equal of BMW gear), but I can order it through Revzilla and have it in three days. Revzilla's return policy is excellent and customer service is top-notch. Still, I will always call my dealer to see if he has the Klim in stock and if so try to make the purchase at his store or have him order it if I can wait for it to arrive and then arrange a trip up to get it.

I guess my point is that I would probably want to already have the gear in advance of the Rally so that I could enjoy it on that trip.

Keep in mind that there are 3 dealers in the area...Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville. There’s also Huntsville Alabama,

I didn't realize there were 4 shops that close.
Nashville is 35 miles
Chattanooga is 135 miles
Huntsville is 135 miles
Knoxville is 150 miles

I did not figure the distance right to the shop.

At last years MOA Des Moines rally, BMW had a seminar on their riding gear. I thought it was worthwhile to listen to and ask questions. However, they did not bring much to look at. If BMW has this seminar again this year, I plan to attend.

What about vendors like Clearwater, RKA, Wunderlich, etc?

Those type vendors are typically there. As for garment vendors I would not expect Aerostich. One of the nearby dealers might be there but would expect only a sampling of BMW gear. There will be, however, several vendors offering all sort of gear from jackets and pants to inflating vests, helmets, boots, gloves. And all kinds of other moto related products. Hard-part accessories will be in abundance from windshields to engine guards. Also expect gadgets galore including GPS units, communications stuff etc.

Back